Jump to content
soxfan49

Offseason Targets

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Your original point was the Ricketts couldn’t cover they payroll and Bryant could be nontendered to be a farce. Baseball doesn’t have a salary cap and floor system, and I don’t think they will ever have one. In leagues where cap system is in place, e.g. NBA, NFL, NHL owners had pushed to significantly increase the salary to be escrowed to cover revenue loss. Baseball doesn’t have an escrow system in place, temporarily suppressing player salary is their way of guarding against revenue loss. Furthermore to address your point on NBA salary cap, they could not directly reduce the salary cap proportionate to the BRI hit because that would bring most every team over salary cap and possibly luxury tax.

The point MLB owners wanting to shorten the season to reduce player salary payout is apples and oranges compared to NBA, since most of the NBA season was already in the books.

Lastly, the irony is if the MLB owners are colluding to suppress player salaries (specifically during pandemic), the deals so far to the pitchers far exceeded what the industry expected, so they must be doing a really shitty job at collusion.

This is not the problem. The problem is their debt load they are being forced to carry as a part of their deal with TribCo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is not the problem. The problem is their debt load they are being forced to carry as a part of their deal with TribCo.

While that is true, in normal year I wouldn't expect the idea of Bryant being non-tendered to be a possibility, or at least he'd be dealt to another team that has payroll flexibility.

I was more so responding to Ray's notion that baseball owners using COVID as an excuse to cry poor and are planning to collude against players while NBA teams just handed out contracts last week like it was business as usual. The salary system for the two leagues are very different and you can't just look at the surface.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Bauer/Springer type free agents always scare the bejeebers out of me.   Free-agency works really well to fill holes with competent performers without giving up players.  I think Joc for RF and Q or Tanaka for the rotation are good examples of guys who would improve our team while not being huge risk pieces.  Hendricks and Colome would also fit the bill as low-risk additions for the pen.  If a Bauer or Springer pulls a Dunn / Encarnacion / LaRoach and the team gets seriously set back.  It is written in the stars that we need to develop our own stars and fill in around them with sensible trades and FA acquisitions IMO.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, poppysox said:

If a Bauer or Springer pulls a Dunn / Encarnacion / LaRoach and the team gets seriously set back.  It is written in the stars that we need to develop our own stars and fill in around them with sensible trades and FA acquisitions IMO.

Dunn and LaRoche were NL players and Encarnacion was what.. 37 years old? (LaRoche was also an older player himself). I highly, highly doubt Springer would have any issues here and he basically proved last season that he was fine without the trash cans banging.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was hoping the Sox would sign Springer, but now I’m just expecting them to sign Pederson to a one year deal, sign Colas or Cespedes and than use the money towards pitching. Possibly trade for a TOR starter but it depends on the cost. The Phillies lost an estimated 145 million and you would have to imagine most teams lost a considerable amount of money this year. Indicative of the slow offseason so far. 

Edited by maloney.adam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, poppysox said:

The Bauer/Springer type free agents always scare the bejeebers out of me.   Free-agency works really well to fill holes with competent performers without giving up players.  I think Joc for RF and Q or Tanaka for the rotation are good examples of guys who would improve our team while not being huge risk pieces.  Hendricks and Colome would also fit the bill as low-risk additions for the pen.  If a Bauer or Springer pulls a Dunn / Encarnacion / LaRoach and the team gets seriously set back.  It is written in the stars that we need to develop our own stars and fill in around them with sensible trades and FA acquisitions IMO.

If you refuse to take risks in the future because of past mistakes, you're choosing a different way to lose. The free agents you referenced all had significant warts and were not considered top of the market. Bauer just won the Cy Young and has put up #1 or #2 starter numbers for at least the last 3 years, and IMO more like 5. He's going into his age 30 season, so a 6 year deal (which is more than I'd like to see but likely what he'll sign unless he actually does the 1 year deal thing) would give you his age 30-35 seasons, which should provide value given the caliber of pitcher being signed. This is the "one piece away from a championship" move, and IMO the Sox are.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

If you refuse to take risks in the future because of past mistakes, you're choosing a different way to lose. The free agents you referenced all had significant warts and were not considered top of the market. Bauer just won the Cy Young and has put up #1 or #2 starter numbers for at least the last 3 years, and IMO more like 5. He's going into his age 30 season, so a 6 year deal (which is more than I'd like to see but likely what he'll sign unless he actually does the 1 year deal thing) would give you his age 30-35 seasons, which should provide value given the caliber of pitcher being signed. This is the "one piece away from a championship" move, and IMO the Sox are.

Jerry is especially risk averse. This is a guy that refuses to give a greater than $1M bonus to international prospects. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dam8610 said:

If you refuse to take risks in the future because of past mistakes, you're choosing a different way to lose. The free agents you referenced all had significant warts and were not considered top of the market. Bauer just won the Cy Young and has put up #1 or #2 starter numbers for at least the last 3 years, and IMO more like 5. He's going into his age 30 season, so a 6 year deal (which is more than I'd like to see but likely what he'll sign unless he actually does the 1 year deal thing) would give you his age 30-35 seasons, which should provide value given the caliber of pitcher being signed. This is the "one piece away from a championship" move, and IMO the Sox are.

No guarantees, but Bauer puts more effort into keeping his body right than just about anyone in the league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Orlando said:

Pitchers are making bank

At this point, the offseason doesn’t feel that different than previous. Whatever teams may cut back - feels like it’s made up for by more trying to add than previous offseason a where there were only 3-4 bidders.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, fathom said:

No guarantees, but Bauer puts more effort into keeping his body right than just about anyone in the league.

So does Kopech.  A lot of people want to get rid of him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dick Allen said:

So does Kopech.  A lot of people want to get rid of him.

Kopech coming off surgery and has never won a Cy Young. Big difference. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Flash said:

What were contract terms?

I read somewhere it was 2/15 million but idk if that’s been confirmed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Kopech coming off surgery and has never won a Cy Young. Big difference. 

Yes, but he got hurt. Bauer can get hurt as well. I hope the Sox sign him, but pitcher injuries don't seem to have to do much with their overall condition. More mechanics, and probably a little luck with genes. Of course, being out of condition can hurt your mechanics. 

Edited by Dick Allen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I read somewhere it was 2/15 million but idk if that’s been confirmed

thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Royals are spending money before the Sox. That’s fantastic! Cmon Sox do something. You haven’t even made a peep yet this offseason. Are you alive?

Edited by maloney.adam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

The Royals are spending money before the Sox. That’s fantastic! Cmon Sox do something. You haven’t even made a peep yet this offseason. Are you alive?

What, the Tim Beckham move didn't do it for you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

What, the Tim Beckham move didn't do it for you?

Oh yeah! I loved that move. Definitely a TLR signing. World Series here come!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this is going to be the week of activity. All of the feeler calls and low offers were thrown to agents pre thanksgiving, and this week with the 12/2 non tender deadline teams will understand what is really available as far as bargains/reclamations/value potential has opened up. 12/3 will be hot stove heavy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Orlando said:

Pitchers are making bank

To be fair, we don't know what the clauses of the contract read like this go round. It's likely those contracts have significant clauses in them in regards to Covid, restricted attendance, etc. that may limit those numbers. That being said, the Smyly number still seems very high regardless of what happens. 

 

Also on another note - that's actually a pretty decent pitching staff. In a perfect world Duffy, Minor & Keller + Bubic, Singer, Junis isn't half bad especially if the later young guys continue to grow. A healthy Salvy Perez + possibly adding someone along the lines of a Puig or replacement level player in LF/RF + another bat or two at 1B/3B? The team is a lot closer to a 75-80 win team than they'll get credit for. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/27/2020 at 9:53 PM, EloyJenkins said:

Carlos Rodon's wife is what is wrong with professional sports. Who cares what some over pampered wife thinks on social media? Your husband sucks and will be lucky to get an MLB offer at this point. Please pipe down.

Hot take - nobody cares what you think. Also hot take, i bet you wouldn't say that to his or her faces. Also hot take, then don't follow or listen to what she says. Also hot take, the loudest people in the room are usually the people the most full of shit. i.e. -- you. 

 

And mute ....

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×