Offseason Targets

soxfan49

33 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

I think this is going to be the week of activity. All of the feeler calls and low offers were thrown to agents pre thanksgiving, and this week with the 12/2 non tender deadline teams will understand what is really available as far as bargains/reclamations/value potential has opened up. 12/3 will be hot stove heavy. 

Just to be a contrarian , I'll say there is no activity on 12/3.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Yes, but he got hurt. Bauer can get hurt as well. I hope the Sox sign him, but pitcher injuries don't seem to have to do much with their overall condition. More mechanics, and probably a little luck with genes. Of course, being out of condition can hurt your mechanics. 

Conditioning is a huge part of success obviously.  Look at Abreu.  Never saw someone improve so much in both offense and defense.  A great role model.  

That's 6 teams targeting McCann, two I wouldn't have even pinpointed as a suitor.

This is not going to be the cheap offseason many think. It's true that someone like springer may be hard pressed to match what he would in 2018, but he'll still beat 100 mill easily (imo).

There will certainly be a group of 1-1.5 WAR vets that end up pining for work in feb, that a writer will put out a "best of the rest" team and we will say "wow a lot of talent". Then those that sign will do terrible that year and we'll remember why teams didn't target them.

Overall, encouraging! But the pitching situation sucks at this point. Richards does seem to be one of the better 2nd pitchers to add and target. But first pitchers? It's a small group (and this has nothing to do with minor).

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Hot take - nobody cares what you think. Also hot take, i bet you wouldn't say that to his or her faces. Also hot take, then don't follow or listen to what she says. Also hot take, the loudest people in the room are usually the people the most full of shit. i.e. -- you. 

And mute ....

Thanks for muting me. Now I don't need to have you personally attack me again. Why the hostility? I never have once attacked another poster, how is this cool? And I am sorry that I have an opinion, as you have stated on many posts...I thought that is what message boards are for. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Goodbye, James

I'll Remember the McCann time with the Sox very well. He caused more confusion as a player here than anyone I can remember.

Headline: White Sox sign James McCann.

Soxtalk : HE SUCKS ! WTF are we thinking ? He is who he is.

2019 McCann has a career year but crushes the 1st half  and not so much the 2nd half but shows good pop and the ability to hit the ball where it's pitched.

Soxtalk : He was just hot in the first half . He showed his true self in the 2nd half. He is who we thought he is. He'll never amount to anything.

2020: In the abbreviated season almost every major offensive stat shows improvement yet he is under utilized by the Sox because of the Sox refusal most of the year to carry 3 catchers and to play Edwin Encarnacion at DH. He also improved his Pitch  Framing.

Soxtalk : He's better than Grandal. You people are nuts. Let's resign him. He's better than Grandal, I tell ya ! Please  Sox please please resign McCann.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

Overall, encouraging! But the pitching situation sucks at this point. Richards does seem to be one of the better 2nd pitchers to add and target. But first pitchers? It's a small group (and this has nothing to do with minor).

I wonder if all the vaccine advancements has really changed perception on next season. It has to be encouraging owners that at least the 2nd half of the season will have fans and they are more willing to take risks. Encouraging indeed!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bmags said:

That's 6 teams targeting McCann, two I wouldn't have even pinpointed as a suitor.

This is not going to be the cheap offseason many think. It's true that someone like springer may be hard pressed to match what he would in 2018, but he'll still beat 100 mill easily (imo).

There will certainly be a group of 1-1.5 WAR vets that end up pining for work in feb, that a writer will put out a "best of the rest" team and we will say "wow a lot of talent". Then those that sign will do terrible that year and we'll remember why teams didn't target them.

A lot of smoke doesn't necessarily mean a lot of action. Just to humor my collusion pals, interest could be feigned, offers made with no real intent but I digress.

I think we see a lot more 1 and 2 year contracts than in past years for smaller amounts. Just like you said about Springer about matching what he might have got if this was 2018, that holds true for everyone else too. We are seeing, like we almost always do, that pitching still carries a premium however volatile it might be. There's always a certain amount of pitchers who are signed for a few mill and then put up a season or 2 of good production like Lynn and his other Texas team mate. Oakland had a few gems too .

My initial premise after the season ended was that things would be very slow . But the outlook for a vaccine for Covid has advanced so quickly that the market could be changing.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

13 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

I wonder if all the vaccine advancements has really changed perception on next season. It has to be encouraging owners that at least the 2nd half of the season will have fans and they are more willing to take risks. Encouraging indeed!

I'd say so and the owners who think like that are probably the most aggressive. If you are late to the game because you are still afraid Covid will wipe out a lot of the season and there won't be fans in the park again then you are either going to be very smart or very stupid

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

I don't even know if it's that. Previous offseasons had such a select group of teams that were looking to improve and go for a playoff spot. Last year for instance it was Yanks, Phillies, (ostensibly) White Sox, Braves, Reds with teams like Red Sox, Astros, Brewers, Cubs just trying to retain or refill cheaply.

That left the top free agents flush, but all the marginal vets getting squeezed. But teams like the Royals/Tigers rebuilding but trying to put good vets around their first call-ups. Teams like Giants seem back at the table. Marlins improbably made playoffs and have a new GM at helm. Blue Jays are going for it. Padres still keep finding money.

Even teams like Mariners, are they shedding? They seem at this point like they are just holding court until the re-enforcements arrive.

10 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

If we end up getting Lynn it would kinda infuriate me that we did not acquire him previously at the deadline last year to help stabilize our rotation for the playoffs (obviously I know the cost will be even less now).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

I don't even know if it's that. Previous offseasons had such a select group of teams that were looking to improve and go for a playoff spot. Last year for instance it was Yanks, Phillies, (ostensibly) White Sox, Braves, Reds with teams like Red Sox, Astros, Brewers, Cubs just trying to retain or refill cheaply.

That left the top free agents flush, but all the marginal vets getting squeezed. But teams like the Royals/Tigers rebuilding but trying to put good vets around their first call-ups. Teams like Giants seem back at the table. Marlins improbably made playoffs and have a new GM at helm. Blue Jays are going for it. Padres still keep finding money.

Even teams like Mariners, are they shedding? They seem at this point like they are just holding court until the re-enforcements arrive.

I think Covid and the possibility of a vaccine is a huge reason . Look at all the financial distress after one season of it. Can you imagine all the wailing  about finances going into the new CBA ? It would be a disaster. It might be just what some owners want who are more concerned about holding salaries down than anything else.

As the news gets better and better on the vaccine front so will news on free agent signings. They seem to be on a parallel course.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I think Covid and the possibility of a vaccine is a huge reason . Look at all the financial distress after one season of it. Can you imagine all the wailing  about finances going into the new CBA ? It would be a disaster. It might be just what some owners want who are more concerned about holding salaries down than anything else.

As the news gets better and better on the vaccine front so will news on free agent signings. They seem to be on a parallel course.

I watched something yesterday where the guy said there is no way they will be able to have spring training in February and March even with the vaccine. He thinks it will be in April, the season will start in May and they will play 130 games with much of the beginning of the season without fans or at least extremely limited.

Edited by Dick Allen

11 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

If we end up getting Lynn it would kinda infuriate me that we did not acquire him previously at the deadline last year to help stabilize our rotation for the playoffs (obviously I know the cost will be even less now).

You can't have that attitude.

The Rangers were asking the moon for their guys the past two trade deadlines. It was 100% the right move for the Sox to stand pat.

The rangers screwed themselves by asking for too much.

26 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

I think it has changed the perception of next season. Just look at Atlanta. They recognized that it was a crappy FA market for starting pitchers and jumped on Morton and Smyly early. But spending $26 million doing it on one year deals. After spending that kind of money early, the Braves have got to be thinking that there is going to be a return to normalcy.  Or at least something close.

13 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

This is I think a part. The pressure has not been from top free agents, it's been solid vets that couldn't find second contracts. This year teams might grab those contracts rather than face potential of starting clock early on guys due to covid.

17 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

What everyone in the know has been saying is that Texas was asking for the moon at the deadline. Nobody was willing to make a move with Texas.  So yes he will be more affordable now.

4 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

Nothing really infuriates me as a fan anymore. I too wanted reinforcements at the deadline, but it didn't happen. It's the White Sox .

It's just the 1st year of the window plenty of time say the fans. Reinsdorf smiles gleefully. "This is easier then I thought " he thinks." These fans are so sick of losing and so excited for the future that they happily accept 2nd place. I am the puppet master. Oh wait a goddamn minute, I'm going to hire Tony LaRussa ! Won't that put a burr under their saddles !" Gee Covid sure did come along at a great time, right when everyone expected me to put the final touches on the team. " Oh well wait till next year he muses as sugar plum fairies danced in his head. He laughs maniacally  as he starts singing, 'You're a mean one Mr. Grinch... HEHEJHEHHHHHH HAHHHHAHOHOHO !! "

12 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I watched something yesterday where the guy said there is no way they will be able to have spring training in February and March even with the vaccine. He thinks it will be in April, the season will start in May and they will play 130 games with much of the beginning of the season without fans or at least extremely limited.

Right but that's a much better outlook than it was a month ago.

• bmags locked this topic