Offseason Targets

soxfan49

Just now, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Right. That's why a platoon would be the only instance that makes us better in RF. I would take Engel over Rosario in a full-time RF job.

If we don’t add Springer, we’re probably looking at a platoon whether our RF addition is Joc, JBJ, or Rosario.  And Engel should be nothing but the weak side of said platoon as his bat against RHP is unlikely to ever play up.

29 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Lol...yeah I’ll take Springer

Rosario would be a platoon option if we missed out on Springer but defensively he’s not that good as you can tell from the video. He would still be an upgrade as a hitter but I think Pederson would be a better all around player than Rosario so if we miss out on Springer he would be the best option to target. However, I don’t think he would leave the West Coast. 

Edited by maloney.adam

2 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Rosario is a good option if we miss out on Springer but defensively he’s not that good as you can tell from the video. He would still be an upgrade as a hitter but right now like Vinnie Duber said he’s probably the 3rd best option for the outfield behind Springer and Brantley so I would try to get Springer first. Pederson is just not as good as a hitter but defensively is an upgrade over Rosario. 

As of now, we either claim him, or wait to compete for him as a free agent 

2 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I'm not against the idea of an Engel/Rosario platoon, I'm just saying at nearly $10M, Rosario would be a very expensive platoon. I think the Twins end up bringing him back for cheaper.

You don't really need to platoon Rosario. He's was respectable against lefties the last 2 full seasons. If anything, Joc Pederson would be an expensive platoon.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, DoUEvenShift said:

Give Yermin a shot! I think he's our diamond in a rough. 

25 bombs plus next year

GOD can Yermin bash the ball. Dude has gotten shafted by this team so hard. He deserves a shot already. 

The people saying Rosario sucks or wouldn’t be a good option in RF are probably the same ones who were pissed when we thought the Sox signed Ozuna. You get better when you can. And sometimes it pays handsomely like Ozuna did for the Braves. If they miss on Springer , Rosario would be an ok get because he’d would be an upgrade. He is one year removed from 34 home run and 107 rbi. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Orlando said:

The people saying Rosario sucks or wouldn’t be a good option in RF are probably the same ones who were pissed when we thought the Sox signed Ozuna. You get better when you can. And sometimes it pays handsomely like Ozuna did for the Braves. If they miss on Springer , Rosario would be an ok get because he’d would be an upgrade. He is one year removed from 34 home run and 107 rbi. 

I'm OK with Rosario, but not Ozuna, because the last thing the White Sox need is yet another DH.  They already have Vaughn, Jimenez and Abreu as 1B/DH types, and Grandal should also DH/1B once a series for rest.

Even if the Sox trade Vaughn, which they shouldn't, they should go after OFers and let Jimenez primarily play DH. He cannot field his position and is too much of an injury risk out there, whereas the extent he is valuable is his bat.

• Like 1

Robert is an injury risk  playing Center, He is a big man that gets up to full speed and then dives for balls  hit in the gaps.

Eloy is another player with a high risk of injury playing in the outfield.

It is going to take a miracle to keep both of them free from injury all season. 

I am actually more concerned about Robert getting injured because of his combination of size and speed.

Given the premium price for top pitchers, I would think outside the box a little and see how much trade value Keuchel has provided that a younger pitcher comes back in a trade.

Something like  Keuchel plus Reylo plus Collins for either Snell or Plesac.

I think Keuchel started to regress a little last season.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, fathom said:

Rosario has had good success against some of the top pitchers in the AL Central. If they deem he can play RF, I wouldn’t mind him.

He is a real quirky guy esp in the OF. Almost similar to Elroy. 

Springer has to be the main target for the Sox, but Rosario wouldn't be a bad silver medal.  Offensively, for sure, he'd be decent.  But with him in RF and Eloy in LF, Robert would be working his ass off all season.  And would be more of an injury threat because of it.

If I'm catching the thoughts correctly here, Rosario wouldn't necessarily be a platoon partner with Engel but Joc would be.  But the defense would be much better with a Joc/Engel platoon than with Rosario.  Hopefully none of this becomes an issue, and the Sox sign Springer.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, tray said:

Given the premium price for top pitchers, I would think outside the box a little and see how much trade value Keuchel has provided that a younger pitcher comes back in a trade.

Something like  Keuchel plus Reylo plus Collins for either Snell or Plesac.

I think Keuchel started to regress a little last season.

Two teams looking to dump money and are going to trade young controllable pictures for Dallas Keuchel’s contract plus filler?  Not happening.  

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Two teams looking to dump money and are going to trade young controllable pictures for Dallas Keuchel’s contract plus filler?  Not happening.  

Oh come on, the Rays and Indians are terrible at scouting pitching

Generally I would rather have Rosario.... but on our team, based on our OF defense.... Joc + Engel is better IMO. I would rather overpay for Joc as a platoon player than have Rosario and watch him and Eloy force Robert to make up for them. Increases injury opportunities.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Orlando said:

Had I would have known Ozuna could be had for a 1 year deal I’d have been ok with it. But I think you see the long term issues we were worried about, as he is now pretty firmly in a JD Martinez esque right fielder

A new lefty masher to think about: Sung-Bum Na. Getting posted. Was a center fielder, moved to right in 2015...had knee surgery late 2019 and may be limited as a full time RF...but could be an interesting Platoon idea. 

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/12/kbo-slugger-sung-bum-na-posted-mlb.html

Boras and his posting fee probably is moot now with Rosario, but at least RF is starting to have some backup plans when Springer most likely signs elsewhere. 

Edited by EloyJenkins

9 hours ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

GOD can Yermin bash the ball. Dude has gotten shafted by this team so hard. He deserves a shot already. 

That looks like recent Dominican League action.

10 hours ago, DoUEvenShift said:

Give Yermin a shot! I think he's our diamond in a rough. 

25 bombs plus next year

Unfortunately if he didn't get a shot in 2019 or 2020 when they easily could've given him one, it isn't happening in 2021. If he is traded look for a team needing a DH and with a pitcher to give up . Yermin is a goner with the Sox.

Does anyone here follow how any of our guys are doing in the Dominican Winter League . I know some fan sites like for the Yankees provide that. I see one very short thread in Fuuture Sox about which of our guys are going to be playing in the Winter Leagues and Yermin isn't mentioned. Looks like the Dominican League is about 10 games into their season now but finding a website with results and stats is difficult.

Lots of action in Puerto Rico, Venezuela, Mexico, Colombia, Cuba, Nicaragua, and the Dominican Republic for offseason professional baseball, culminating in a glorious week of action in the Caribbean Series

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

8 hours ago, Orlando said:

The problem is he has been a negative defensive player almost every year, including some plays that make Eloy look like Robert.

• Like 1

• bmags locked this topic