Offseason Targets

soxfan49

1 minute ago, Orlando said:

Trade for Snell

Sign Joc or JBJ

Sign Richards or Quintana 

boom

Snell would qualify as a top flight pitcher.  

Joc or JBJ are a better option than Mazara.  Outside of a black hole in RF.  Thats all that matters.   I like Springer but I am more worried about pitching than anything. 

Richards would be depth.  Then let the rest fight for the prize and work on building up Kopech.  

The Sox have 3 pitchers that are MLB ready(Cease, Dunning) or close to it(Kopech)  plus a guy like Lopez with an option that will almost surely be used, so the only way this becomes a complete disaster is if none of them take a step forward. I'm pretty sure that Kopech won't be up until June or whenever they get his TJS year back in the event of a shortened season. Dunning has shown enough to get a look this year, and Cease still hasn't pitched a full season or anything close to it at the MLB level. It sucks that the rotation is behind the offense, but if the Sox are patient....they could have a huge window of greatness in the near future, however in order to do that, you risk some of these guys busting. 

They might only be in the market for 1 SP, and in that case I'd go with someone who you know what you're going to get from when healthy, and that would be Odorizzi. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

Joc or JBJ are a better option than Mazara.  Outside of a black hole in RF.  Thats all that matters.   I like Springer but I am more worried about pitching than anything. 

Richards would be depth.  Then let the rest fight for the prize and work on building up Kopech.  

I'd like them to bring one more guy in on a flier/MiLB deal.......got any ideas? 

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

The Sox have 3 pitchers that are MLB ready(Cease, Dunning) or close to it(Kopech)  plus a guy like Lopez with an option that will almost surely be used, so the only way this becomes a complete disaster is if none of them take a step forward. I'm pretty sure that Kopech won't be up until June or whenever they get his TJS year back in the event of a shortened season. Dunning has shown enough to get a look this year, and Cease still hasn't pitched a full season or anything close to it at the MLB level. It sucks that the rotation is behind the offense, but if the Sox are patient....they could have a huge window of greatness in the near future, however in order to do that, you risk some of these guys busting. 

We are now in our competitive championship window.  This is the time to push forward and to attempt to win championships in a sustained approach.  Maybe Katz can fix Cease/Reylo, Maybe Kopech comes out strong and is everything we want, maybe Dunning is everything he can be.  In the end you go out and get one more stud pitcher.  You still have 2 spots in the rotation to fill then.  You use the overage for bullpen/trade chits.  

8 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

I think Jesse meant that they would sign 100+ million dollar contracts. So I think he meant they won’t be dishing out dough on the free agent market. Snell wouldn’t be disqualified based on that info. So I would love if that happened.

Edited by Orlando

Just now, southsideirish71 said:

We are now in our competitive championship window.  This is the time to push forward and to attempt to win championships in a sustained approach.  Maybe Katz can fix Cease/Reylo, Maybe Kopech comes out strong and is everything we want, maybe Dunning is everything he can be.  In the end you go out and get one more stud pitcher.  You still have 2 spots in the rotation to fill then.  You use the overage for bullpen/trade chits.  

Trade for Lynn, sign Q.  Seems pretty obvious this is the type of framework they have in mind.

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

I know I’ve said this before, but I would be shocked if the new RF isn’t a lefty.  Stone has mentioned probably 10 times they need a lefty hitting run producer.

Well that is a limited group of guys.  Pederson is probably the only thing that is out in the FA market that fits that bill.   

Just now, Orlando said:

I think Jesse meant that they would sign 100+ million dollar contracts. So I think he meant they won’t be dishing out dough on the free agent market. Snell wouldn’t be disqualified based on that info.

He meant they’re not going after the super big name guys.

11 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yes but that Jerry didn’t want to spend big on free agency 

Yeah I thought he had mentioned that but I forgot.

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

I know I’ve said this before, but I would be shocked if the new RF isn’t a lefty.  Stone has mentioned probably 10 times they need a lefty hitting run producer.

I agree with this. That should be a priority. What would you think if it was a switch hitting RF?

Edited by maloney.adam

1 minute ago, maloney.adam said:

Vaughn is going to be the DH. 

Unless they feel like they can get away with keeping him in the minors and saving him for next year. 

If they could spend $5M and get an extra year of service from Vaughn, why wouldn't they? 

Edited by Jack Parkman

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Unless they feel like they can get away with keeping him in the minors and saving him for next year. 

If they could spend $5M and get an extra year of service from Vaughn, why wouldn't they? 

What the heck?  I know Vaughan is unproven but if he’s not light years ahead of Schwarber as we speak I would be super surprised.  Schwarber sucks.  He’s a platoon DH.  Do we need that?  Eh.  Priority 76

• bmags locked this topic