Offseason Targets

soxfan49

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If ever there was a year to sign a one year deal, this is it.

Now this may be true! But I think there are still some choice teams that will be available to have good money.

Here is what I'm looking for from an offensive addition:

- Strong contact (better than average Krate <22%)

- Good OBP (>8% walk rate)

- above average vs. RHP

- Not a defensive liability

Best candidates for this:

- Michael Brantley 

edit: ugh it posted before I wanted, btu anyway will add

Ozuna (112 wRC+ vs. RHP, great OBP, borderline Krate)

Springer (130 wRC+ vs. RHP, good obp, borderline Krate that honestly you'd bet on getting worse)

Pre-2020 Joc Pederson

Lower level

Robbie Grossman (average v. RHP in career, borderline Krate, great OBP)

Josh Reddick (regression candidate)

2b and not sure if we have DH space

La Stella

Lamehieu

(low obp but Schoop)

15 minutes ago, fathom said:

Brantley is the perfect fit in terms of what the offense needs, just have no idea if he can play even a below average RF. I still say I want nothing to do with Joc.

lamehieu would also, with similar issues. 

34 minutes ago, Rey21 said:

Cease+Adolfo+Stiever for Michael Conforto

OR

Cease+James Beard for Brandon Nimmo 

Conforto would be great, but he's a FA after next year.  I am not moving Cease for 1 year of anybody.

With Nimmo you at least get two years.  If I am trading Cease to the Mets, I want Diaz back with Nimmo.  Otherwise its not worth it.  

Just now, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Is his defense still stellar?  I wouldn't HATE a platoon of him and Engel ASSUMING we spend big on starting pitching and bullpen

I remember hearing his defense had slipped, but I’m sure he would be a beast in RF.

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Conforto would be great, but he's a FA after next year.  I am not moving Cease for 1 year of anybody.

With Nimmo you at least get two years.  If I am trading Cease to the Mets, I want Diaz back with Nimmo.  Otherwise its not worth it.  

I think I would do a Cease for Conforto deal in a heartbeat.. If we are willing to pony up a contract.

29 minutes ago, fathom said:

I had no idea JBJ finished as well as he did.  Could totally see the WSox interested in him and putting him in RF.

I'm really not willing to bank on JBJ just because he had a good september. That said, sox have been linked to him so many times. Wouldn't be surprised.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

I'm really not willing to bank on JBJ just because he had a good september. That said, sox have been linked to him so many times. Wouldn't be surprised.

I don’t prefer him at all!  Just seems though he could be of interest to a team that has desired him in the past.

On 10/6/2020 at 5:54 PM, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Adding Crochet into the starting rotation when there is clearly absolutely 0 chance of that happening. ejm3 had the same idea as you! Very surprising!

So what do you think happens with Crochet next year ? Assume he doesn't need major surgery. They did draft him as a starter so when does he start starting ?

Just now, fathom said:

I don’t prefer him at all!  Just seems though he could be of interest to a team that has desired him in the past.

Yeah, I really am okay de-prioritizing RF if it means depth and quality added to pitching and then maybe make a run on conforto next year.

10 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

So what do you think happens with Crochet next year ? Assume he doesn't need major surgery. They did draft him as a starter so when does he start starting ?

I think he goes to the minors to "stretch out".. Has he ever pitched more than 60 innings?

5 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I think he goes to the minors to "stretch out".. Has he ever pitched more than 60 innings?

Assuming health isn't an issue, I can see one of two things happening.

I can see him starting off in extended spring training and then moving to somewhere like Birmingham or Charlotte as a starter, but somewhere like May or June so that his innings load stays down.

The other thing I could see is Crochet starting off in the pen with the Sox, and then eventually working into the rotation to work more innings in longer stints as the season goes on. 

I think the first one is the most likely.

39 minutes ago, fathom said:

Brantley is the perfect fit in terms of what the offense needs, just have no idea if he can play even a below average RF. I still say I want nothing to do with Joc.

I wanted Brantley 2 years ago. He didn't get much play around here 2 years ago when everyone was so sure one of Adolfo, Gonzalez or Rutherford might be ready. Now he would just be another DH. He got 19 starts in the OF this year. He's no good to the Sox if he can't competently play the field anymore. Astros don't seem to think he can.

Sox might keep Mazara . Funny thing was no one wanted him for what he was, a consistently good hitter against RHP. That Mazara would've been super on the Sox. That's why I always stuck up for Mazara . Consistent hitter vs. RHP with a chance to break out . He would've been a vast improvement over 2019 RF but instead he turned into an exact copy of them. Get the old DH I expect a decline . Get the young RF in the prime of his career and he gets sick and plays like crap too ? That hurt. I can understand how this year sucked for him . But him sucking for the Sox just continued our strange ability lately to pick exactly the wrong guy.

• Like 1

• bmags locked this topic