Jump to content
soxfan49

Offseason Targets

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, fathom said:

McCann is long gone. Just read his comments today saying how he enjoyed his time here.

Probably for the best, if we're being honest. The cracks show, when he has to take on a bigger role, and the cost associated for him, to be 'second catcher' isn't worth it. There are guys like Vaughn (and to a much lesser extent, Collins), that can DH/1st/etc in the rotation.

Personally, I don't think Collins will ever do anything at this level. I think he will be out of the organization within 2 or 3 years, but we will see.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Capn12 said:

Probably for the best, if we're being honest. The cracks show, when he has to take on a bigger role, and the cost associated for him, to be 'second catcher' isn't worth it. There are guys like Vaughn (and to a much lesser extent, Collins), that can DH/1st/etc in the rotation.

Personally, I don't think Collins will ever do anything at this level. I think he will be out of the organization within 2 or 3 years, but we will see.

I think they bring in a new back-up catcher. Collins is traded IMO

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Colome will accept that QO and with an $18 million salary he will be your big offseason addition.

:ninja:

To be fair, I edited that before you posted! I was thinking QO was 12, and not 18, before I edited.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Colome will accept that QO and with an $18 million salary he will be your big offseason addition.

There may not be a QO this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Capn12 said:

:ninja:

To be fair, I edited that before you posted! I was thinking QO was 12, and not 18, before I edited.

Lol I thought something weird happened there, thanks. I’m sober and was worried I’d badly misread that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, fathom said:

I think they bring in a new back-up catcher. Collins is traded IMO

Traded for a bag of balls or over paid reliever maybe. 

I think they will use a rotating DH until Vaughn comes up.

Edited by soxfan2014
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, fathom said:

I think they bring in a new back-up catcher. Collins is traded IMO

Teams don’t give up a lot for non tender candidates. If we don’t want him as a backup why do we think some other team will?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, soxfan2014 said:

Traded for a bag of balls or over paid reliever maybe. 

I think they will use a rotating DH untilcVaughn comes up.

Vaughn will start the season in the majors, if I had to bet.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Balta1701 said:

Teams don’t give up a lot for non tender candidates. If we don’t want him as a backup why do we think some other team will?

Sure some team might take a chance on him as back-up catcher/DH.  I just don’t think it will be with the Sox.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, fathom said:

Vaughn will start the season in the majors, if I had to bet.

Extension? Otherwise they will play the service time game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would definitely bring back Colome for something in the 2-3 year range for $12-14 million per. The recent history of trying to plug in guys for $7-9 million is abysmal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, fathom said:

Sure some team might take a chance on him as back-up catcher/DH.  I just don’t think it will be with the Sox.

I mean sure if he is taken off the 40 man someone will claim him on waivers, but no one is trading anything of use for him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Get used to this for 7 months. 

lol... ill be a ghost from this board in about a day or two - 

It's football time now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

I would definitely bring back Colome for something in the 2-3 year range for $12-14 million per. The recent history of trying to plug in guys for $7-9 million is abysmal.

There haven’t really been closers getting that money for the last 3 years, since Jansen, Melancon, and Chapman signed their deals. Only Kimbrel since then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, SleepyWhiteSox said:

Which stats and deceiving how, statistically speaking?

His 12/13 save opportunities and his 0.81ERA. He could have easily blown 4-5 games with his tireless tightrope act early on. Just not an ideal closer moving forward in my opinion, doesn’t pass the eye test

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, chw42 said:

We could have had Ozuna on a fair deal this past off-season, but now he's probably gonna command a big contract after the year he just had.

But it all depends on how COVID affects the free agent market.

Wait we didn’t have Ozuna this season? That damn reporter lied me this offseason 😂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

There haven’t really been closers getting that money for the last 3 years, since Jansen, Melancon, and Chapman signed their deals. Only Kimbrel since then.

Well if he's cheaper then that's obviously even better. I'm just saying the pen was pretty good this year when everyone was healthy and started to struggle as guys had to move up a role. Being able to keep everyone in the same spot and hopefully getting better starting pitching should yield even better results than this year. I think you could find a closer out of Bummer or Heuer, but then you have to find a 7th or 8th inning guy and I don't have faith in the Sox ability to pick the right one in order to save 3 or 4 million dollars.

Edited by TomPickle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

His 12/13 save opportunities and his 0.81ERA. He could have easily blown 4-5 games with his tireless tightrope act early on. Just not an ideal closer moving forward in my opinion, doesn’t pass the eye test

While if this were the beginning of the year I’d wholeheartedly agree with you but he’s been rock solid, I’d bring him back and maybe add Hendricks too..

There’s some names - Hendricks, Kela, Shane Greene
Under the radar - Yimi Garcia 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

His 12/13 save opportunities and his 0.81ERA. He could have easily blown 4-5 games with his tireless tightrope act early on. Just not an ideal closer moving forward in my opinion, doesn’t pass the eye test

I have no problem with him coming back, we could use a veteran presence in the bullpen. But I don’t want to overpay for him, given the owner already complaining about money. I don’t think he’s really worth more than he got this season in a normal market, if the market is depressed then even less than that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Liam Hendriks would be cool, but this year was his best by far. I'd worry about a 31 year old, high priced reliever again in free agency.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

I have no problem with him coming back, we could use a veteran presence in the bullpen. But I don’t want to overpay for him, given the owner already complaining about money. I don’t think he’s really worth more than he got this season in a normal market, if the market is depressed then even less than that.

I agree. I have no issues with bringing him back I just don’t want him on a higher end Kimbrel type deal to where it hurts the pocket books of this team for years to come and makes Jerry cry poor even more so we can’t fill the holes we need the most. I think we have 2-3 other arms on the roster that is capable of closing here soon anyways. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sox should be a team players want to come to and contend. No more having to pay a “we suck” tax. I will be disappointed if Q and Joc are the main adds.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×