Offseason Targets

soxfan49

2 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I think if he steps back and looks at it from a different view he would see it could be a really good thing. They would have a direct line to the checkbook.  

Until the obvious happens and TLR wants different players

• Like 1

For two years maybe. Or until Tony decides that 200 baseball games is just too tough at this stage of his life. I have no doubt that TLR would be fine managing in the dugout. The fact that they would sign up for a short-term marriage is very puzzling though. 

11 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

For two years maybe. Or until Tony decides that 200 baseball games is just too tough at this stage of his life. I have no doubt that TLR would be fine managing in the dugout. The fact that they would sign up for a short-term marriage is very puzzling though. 

I actually don't think it's puzzling.  I think Hahn wants Jirschele but the organization thinks its too early for him...he's only just turned 30.  I think the idea of our own AJ Hinch (who was 35 when he started managing) or Rocco Baldelli is interesting but you have this race horse ready to run and giving it to a rookie jockey is risky.  Bringing in TLR to mentor Jirschele and provide the transition to the manager for the next 20 years is appealing in a lot of ways.  I think TLR's experience with winning, the White Sox and Jerry could be good....just as long as it's not a long term answer.   

3 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

I actually don't think it's puzzling.  I think Hahn wants Jirschele but the organization thinks its too early for him...he's only just turned 30.  I think the idea of our own AJ Hinch (who was 35 when he started managing) or Rocco Baldelli is interesting but you have this race horse ready to run and giving it to a rookie jockey is risky.  Bringing in TLR to mentor Jirschele and provide the transition to the manager for the next 20 years is appealing in a lot of ways.  I think TLR's experience with winning, the White Sox and Jerry could be good....just as long as it's not a long term answer.   

Hahn wants AJ Hinch. 

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Hahn wants AJ Hinch. 

Yes but Hinch has the stink of that cheating thing hanging over him and I could imagine internal discussions of "do we want to taint championships with AJ?" "We have our own AJ in JJ"  "JJ not ready but we could use TLR as transition which would be a feel good story" and "It would make the old man happy and TLR DOES have winning baseball experience."  Honestly I think it's the most sensible solution...I like the idea of AJ but seems like a lot on the board hate him.  Plus...JJ has a really interesting track record within the organization...seems like they targeted him at 25 to be future manager...and he's done a lot of good things on that path.  

3 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

Yes but Hinch has the stink of that cheating thing hanging over him and I could imagine internal discussions of "do we want to taint championships with AJ?" "We have our own AJ in JJ"  "JJ not ready but we could use TLR as transition which would be a feel good story" and "It would make the old man happy and TLR DOES have winning baseball experience."  Honestly I think it's the most sensible solution...I like the idea of AJ but seems like a lot on the board hate him.  Plus...JJ has a really interesting track record within the organization...seems like they targeted him at 25 to be future manager...and he's done a lot of good things on that path.  

If we are going to be sanctimonious over cheating, we shouldn't want La Russa either. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Only makes sense if they see Jirschele as the long term and plan to give him two years as the bench coach before being handed the reigns.

7 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Have you seen Tony's LOL because if you thought Hahn's were bad, you're going to be in for a real treat when you look at TLR!

The best was when La Russa traded for Luis Alejandro Basabe instead of Luis Alexander Basabe. 

2 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

He did that?  

Some wonder about the timing of the deal. The Ziegler trade happened well before the surge of the trading deadline. Jeff Passan – a respected national baseball writer who accuses the Diamondbacks of “serial mismanagement” – said Cleveland, Toronto and the Cubs all wanted the Diamondbacks reliever, and they were “gobsmacked” by what La Russa accepted in return – pitcher Jose Almonte and infield prospect Luis Alejandro Basabe.

---

“I was just wondering if they know they got the wrong Basabe,” an anonymous GM told Passan, referring to Luis Alejandro’s twin, Luis Alexander Basabe, who is considered the better player of the two.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/mlb/diamondbacks/2016/07/19/bickley-arizona-diamondbacks-trade-their-way-into-another-perception-problem/87321350/

While it's not confirmed, pretty much everyone thinks that, because otherwise it's somehow a worse trade.

18 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

If we are going to be sanctimonious over cheating, we shouldn't want La Russa either. 

I'm not being sanctimonious...I'm just suggesting that hiring someone right now that has a stink on him could be problematic for the "feel good story".  You can think the same thing holds for TLR but I don't think the baseball community thinks that and if you can quickly transition to JJ...well why would he be a worse choice than AJ?  AJ performed great when he had a super team...does that make him a super coach?  JJ knows almost all the players as he coached them all in the minors.     

2 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

If Tony La Russa becomes the next manager of the White Sox, Rick Hahn should resign. He'd have another gig in 5 minutes. 

Suppose Hahn (or KW or JR) hires TLR as a consultant to assist a young manager. That may not match up w Hahn's wanting someone outside system w playoff experience but LaRussa would check those boxes. As I posted previously, it worked w Cora in 2018. 

3 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Twin brothers with the same first name.  Seems to me that would be on the pro scouting department.  But either way we're really digging deep here.  Sheesh

Seems pretty fair as you cheer for a situation where the manager is dictating personnel moves to the owner and bypassing the scouting department to look at what happened when he was recently making personnel moves.

• bmags locked this topic