Offseason Targets

soxfan49

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

MLBTR released their top 50 FA predictions today. Had Sox signing these three:

George Springer: 5/$125M

James Paxton 1/$10M

Alex Colome 1/$6M

🤔...I mean Springer would be awesome and Paxton could theoretically work, but we’d taking a lot of risk with our rotation next year.

14 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

James Paxton 1/$10M

Alex Colome 1/$6M

I would be down for this if we make a trade for a quality SP. However, these projections seem off. 

Edited by maloney.adam

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

James Paxton 1/$10M

Alex Colome 1/$6M

Colome 1/6...in what world? Someone needs bullpen help surely... And I just don't see springer getting that much in a pandemic uncertain off-season...unless it's full of opt outs

1 minute ago, EloyJenkins said:

Colome 1/6...in what world? Someone needs bullpen help surely... And I just don't see springer getting that much in a pandemic uncertain off-season...unless it's full of opt outs

I thought the Springer deal seemed a bit rich as well, but it’s not awful pre pandemic. 

Id obviously love Springer. Would be amazing. Our lineup just gets soooo right handed with him. His splits are mostly even - not even him I’m worried about, but I do think some additional lineup balance would be welcome. Tough righties would reallY neutralize the lineup. Another reason why the bozos calling for Grandal to get traded are in fact...bozos. 

The amount of cheap 1 year starters is pretty staggering and that benefits sox if they can get a good bounce back. Of the whole list charlie Morton at 8 mil for one year is such a no brainer. Bauer to dodgers for 4 years would be devastating though for both the Sox, braves and Padres windows

47 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

I'm bored.

Trade Dunning, Cease, Kopech and Lopez for DeGrom. That could be 3/5 of the Mets starting pitching staff for years to come.

I think the Mets selling ideas are dead with Cohen taking over.  In fact judging by the Cohen has already stepped in, I would say they could be the winters biggest buyers, versus being sellers.

16 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

While I agree, I don't know what it means that brad hand under a 1 year / $10 mill deal just got rejected by every team in the league. 

50 minutes ago, Flash said:

I'm not advocating for Hader but the notion that we can trade for a high rotation piece without trading any of our controlled assets seems unlikely.

Then we should try to use FA for quality depth and wait for the right time for a high quality pitcher to be dangled rather than thinning out our assets without even building upon them.

Any and all available payroll needs to be allocated to pitching. We can survive with a platoon in RF. I want to say any DH can cover the “hole” left by EE or any other previous player we’ve plugged into the spot since Thome. But the pitching needs help, including bullpen I have to imagine one or two of the younger BP pieces regress a little. 

37 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

James Paxton 1/$10M

Alex Colome 1/$6M

This would be great and I would not be complaining but I feel like we would still be short in the pitching department. I’d rather get Quintana and Morton than Paxton.

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I probably would too assuming Hahn can find a good LHH RF fit via trade.  I guess Joc would be fine, but he doesn't excite me.  

I know people will think I am crazy, but we can hide a bad to mediocre RF in this line up, especially if we find one that can catch the ball in RF.  We CAN'T hide bad starting pitching.  We need to add one more mainstay to this rotation.

• Like 2

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

I know people will think I am crazy, but we can hide a bad to mediocre RF in this line up, especially if we find one that can catch the ball in RF.  We CAN'T hide bad starting pitching.  We need to add one more mainstay to this rotation.

Yeah. It's unrealistic to have star potential at every position, yet the Sox lineup will have about 7 (maybe 8 including Vaughn) spots next year as of now.

I'd be super happy with that offseason assuming we've also got some other 5 million relief pitchers and another low starter..  If you get one of Bauer (preferred) or Springer plus a lesser player at that position you didn't get a stud at (i.e. Paxton/Pederson) that would be a killer offseason imo.

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin

14 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If that's the case (and I'm not mocking you) then we should just have Engel be the every day RF, and resign Dyson to be the primary backup OF with Leury being able to play out there as well.

Just now, ScooterMcGee said:

If that's the case (and I'm not mocking you) then we should just have Engel be the every day RF, and resign Dyson to be the primary backup OF with Leury being able to play out there as well.

If we get a front line pitcher and fix up the closer spot (even resigning Colome) I am happy about it.  But I have reduced spending expectations this winter too.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I completely agree.  Leury/Engel as a worst case scenario isn't a disaster assuming we add Bauer/Stroman/TOR trade and another vet back end guy like Odorizzi/Quintana.  

That said, at worst, I'd like to upgrade on Leury as the strong side of that platoon and use him as a true super UTIL guy.  

22 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

How about if we sign Springer and Quintana or Paxton as FA’s and than trade for Lynn? 

Edited by maloney.adam

25 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I'm right there with you.  They can hide a poor RF far better than 3 holes in the staring lineup.  

With a healthy normal Moncada and even a rookie Vaughn, RF production is less of a priority than the starting staff.  They won't complete for the division with only 2 starters.  

Edited by SouthWallace

If I was KW/Hahn and was told by JR we could expand payroll, I'd go after the number one guy they wanted first, be aggressive and try to get them to sign early in free agency. Then I'd let the market play out.

There are guys now that we have place holders of >$10 mill that may very well be under. A guy like Joc might really just be paid as a platoon guy on a tough market. 

• Like 1

• bmags locked this topic