Offseason Targets

soxfan49

11 hours ago, Flash said:

Don't understand the Stroman love...especially w/QO pick. Try to sign Bauer but target trade candidates (Musgrove, Burnes, Marco Gonzales, maybe one of Atlantas young guns, etc.) and pull the trigger.

Were this team still in the assembly of young talent portion of the rebuild, the QO could be a deterrent. So, I suppose a team that isn't close to competing could be out of the bidding for Stroman.

But, if the Great Nomar Mazara was (snicker) "worth" the former 46th pick, surely the ~55th pick is worth Marcus Stroman.

That said, THIS LINK  covers why Stroman would be a great pickup, given how good he is, and the reasonable acquisition cost he'd represent.

7 hours ago, maloney.adam said:

This article is from yesterday but Richard Justice predicts that Marcus Stroman will accept his QO. Many others believe he will accept as well.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mlb.com/amp/news/predicting-who-will-accept-qualifying-offer.html

Stroman's about to be 30. He's been away from the game for a year. LOOKING FORWARD, there may well be another work stoppage after 2021. Should that occur, OR should Stroman have an injury or a down year, he may not be able to cash in. Or, at best, he might have to face FA at age 32, when his age and his physical makeup will likely be more of an impediment.

I wouldn't be so sure that Stroman would accept the QO, given his recent year off, his age, and the potential for him being out of work/unable to market himself.

32 minutes ago, hi8is said:

MLB Trade Rumors has us signing Springer, James Paxton, and Colome.

Don’t think I agree with any of those three coming our way.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/11/mlb-free-agent-predictions-2021.html

From that link:

I'd take Stroman for 4/$68MM, and Pederson for 2/$18MM, Quintana for 2/$18MM, and either Hand for 2/$14MM, or Colome 1/$6MM, or both. Total added: $17MM + $9MM + $9MM + $6MM = $41MM added.

(Edit) Back of the envelope, subtract EE's $12MM, Gonzalez's $7MM, and what, ~$5MM each to Rodon and Mazara is a total of ~$29MM in salaries not carried over?

So, for ~$12MM in additional salaries, you're adding 300+ IP of 3-4 FIP, adding ~2-ish WAR in RF, and retaining your closer. That's a decent offseason, IMO.

Springer for $125MM? From Reinsdorf? Dream on. Paxton/Boras and his cavalcade of injuries? No thanks.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, maloney.adam said:

This article is from yesterday but Richard Justice predicts that Marcus Stroman will accept his QO. Many others believe he will accept as well.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mlb.com/amp/news/predicting-who-will-accept-qualifying-offer.html

That's gotta be awkward for him and the Mets. He basically robbed them out of a year of service and he ends up back with them. 

6 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

From that link:

I'd take Stroman for 4/$68MM, and Pederson for 2/$18MM, Quintana for 2/$18MM, and either Hand for 2/$14MM, or Colome 1/$6MM, or both. Total added: $17MM + $9MM + $9MM + $6MM = $41MM added.

Springer for $125MM? From Reinsdorf? Dream on. Paxton/Boras and his cavalcade of injuries? No thanks.

I’d be really happy with that offseason haul. And it’s realistic too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I’d be really happy with that offseason haul. And it’s realistic too.

What's more, with this sort of offseason, you're saving all your trade ammo for the deadline, AND giving Cease/Kopech the time and space in AAA to sort their shit out.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

From that link:

(Edit) Back of the envelope, subtract EE's $12MM, Gonzalez's $7MM, and what, ~$5MM each to Rodon and Mazara is a total of ~$29MM in salaries not carried over?

So, for ~$12MM in additional salaries, you're adding 300+ IP of 3-4 FIP, adding ~2-ish WAR in RF, and retaining your closer. That's a decent offseason, IMO.

Yea, I’m not at all in the “put all the eggs in one basket” crowd... unless it’s for Bauer... which is even less likely.

So... it’s time to spread the money around and capitalize on a strange offseason.

• Like 1

Corey Kluber is 34 (35 on opening day) and has had injuries the last few seasons (broken arm and muscle injury in shoulder).

He's now a free agent since Texas declined his option.

Would he at least be worth a flier?

He's only 5 years gone from 2 CY Young awards and the shoulder muscle injury was minor.

1 year - 10 mil maybe?

20 minutes ago, knightni said:

Corey Kluber is 34 (35 on opening day) and has had injuries the last few seasons (broken arm and muscle injury in shoulder).

He's now a free agent since Texas declined his option.

Would he at least be worth a flier?

He's only 5 years gone from 2 CY Young awards and the shoulder muscle injury was minor.

1 year - 10 mil maybe?

Absolutely worth the risk to give him a shot on a 1 year... since it makes so much sense, he’ll sign with Minnesota.

7 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

From that link:

To me, that’s a pretty damn solid offseason and to me there is zero excuse to not get something like this done.  I think the big takeaway from all these contract predictions and the early option declines is there will plenty of B & C tier pitchers that should be available on the cheap to add much needed depth.  Just need to add one higher impact starter like Stroman (or preferably Bauer) and then we can let the market play out a bit and land some real steals.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

To me, that’s a pretty damn solid offseason and to me there is zero excuse to not get something like this done.  I think the big takeaway from all these contract predictions and the early option declines is there will plenty of B & C tier pitchers that should be available on the cheap to add much needed depth.  Just need to add one higher impact starter like Stroman (or preferably Bauer) and then we can let the market play out a bit and land some real steals.

See you in February 😢

30 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Since WHEN IS STROMAN A HIGHER IMPACT STARTER!?!?!?!?! This board has absolutely lost it with the Stroman love.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Yeah he can be a back end guy on a prove it deal in addition to a higher up guy. 

Kluber doesn't need to do a prove it deal. This literally will be his last season pitching, unless he somehow miraculously can pitch 1 more season beyond. He is getting older and the injuries won't help his effectiveness. He is a much better version of the Gio deal the sox did last year..but I don't think his results are going to be much more than a #4. He is worth an 8-10 mil risk, probably more than paxton, but his old pitching coach is with the Yankees now. they probably swoop him

Edited by EloyJenkins

26 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Since WHEN IS STROMAN A HIGHER IMPACT STARTER!?!?!?!?! This board has absolutely lost it with the Stroman love.

He’s a top 30 pitcher in this league. While that may not be an ace, those also don’t grow on trees. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bmags said:

He’s a top 30 pitcher in this league. While that may not be an ace, those also don’t grow on trees. 

especially on around a 4/68 mil deal. trade rumors doesn't normally nail the team...but the numbers they guess are generally in the ballpark. I'm Bauer or bust, but just like Keuchel, this is a GREAT backup play. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Stroman had three seasons out of four from 2016 to 2019 with at least 3.3 fWAR.  Overall during that period he put up the 22nd most fWAR in baseball.  He’s not a #1 starter by any means, but he’s only 29, his pitching profile fits our ballpark & team perfectly, and he can be a low-end #2 or high-end #3 in a playoff rotation.  To me, he’s a clear cut above any free agent starter not named Bauer.  Would I prefer a legit #1 starter?  Of course I would, but I’m not going to pass on Stroman if said player isn’t out there and doesn’t come at a reasonable cost, whether financially or in terms of prospect capital.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very encouraging article by Bruce. Looks like the Sox will spend and attempt to do so at the top of the market. Before anyone says “it’s Bruce lol” I would ask you to look at his track record (with the White Sox specifically) and you will quickly realize that he has an in with the FO.

8 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Very encouraging article by Bruce. Looks like the Sox will spend and attempt to do so at the top of the market. Before anyone says “it’s Bruce lol” I would ask you to look at his track record (with the White Sox specifically) and you will quickly realize that he has an in with the FO.

good article until bruce decides to bruce at the end...Justin turner at third and let Moncada roam the outfield? Oh bruce. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

good article until bruce decides to bruce at the end...Justin turner at third and let Moncada roam the outfield? Oh bruce. 

Hahahaha oh Bruce.  He's fine when he's reporting on info fed to him.  But when he starts speculating it goes downhill fast. 

9 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

From that link:

This team has about $20 million in raises coming.

• bmags locked this topic