Offseason Targets

soxfan49

13 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I mean that's a different angle than I was going, but yeah, I suppose that too.

But reall, what do you think Grandal gets if he were a FA this offseason?  I'd maybe take the under on 3/$55M he has left, but its not going to be THAT much lower.  Maybe 3/$45M.  I really don't think his contract is as bad as you make it out to be.  He doesn't have any surplus value, but his contract isn't' an anchor.  

He's currently owed 3/72.  I think 3/45  might be pushing what he would get this winter as bad as it will be.

9 minutes ago, fathom said:

I have no knowledge of this, but what if it’s a situation where the organization just doesn’t like how he calls a game and wants a mulligan on the signing?

But where?  How?  No one else wanted to go to $18 mil a year last winter under normal circumstances?  Who will now?  If not, how would you realistically do it?  Would you take on a Jake Arrieta type of deal to make it work?  Would you retain 6 to 8 million a year to make a deal work?

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You would love trading away Grandal and resigning McCann?

Sure, if there’s any truth to the pitchers not feeling comfortable with him.  It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see there’s some issues going on.

3 hours ago, fathom said:

Sure, if they feel he doesn’t work with pitchers well and they’d rather invest their money in McCann than him.  I don’t think it happens, but crazier things have happened.

Tell me something crazier than signing someone to the largest contract in team history to only trade him after a pandemic shortened season in which he was the same player he’s always been in order to bring back the backup who you replaced him with in the first place.

• Thanks 2

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Tell me something crazier than signing someone to the largest contract in team history to only trade him after a pandemic shortened season in which he was the same player he’s always been in order to bring back the backup who you replaced him with in the first place.

Hiring Tony LaRussa against the wishes of the front office without conducting a full interview even with him let alone anyone else and then LaRussa taking no steps to reach out to the local press or his players.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I still think they acquire a stopgap in the mold of Pederson or Calhoun and then add one of Colas or Cespedes as the hopeful long-term answer.

Yep Calhoun, Joc or Bradley Jr vs the field.  Santander is a trade candidate not discussed enough.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Orlando said:

If this accurate, I wonder why Steve Stone would say he doesn’t think Springer would come here than? Does that mean the other top free agents wouldn’t sign here as well? Tons of speculation out there right now. 

Edited by maloney.adam

3 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

If this accurate, I wonder why Steve Stone would say he doesn’t think Springer would come here than? Does that mean the other top free agents wouldn’t sign here as well? Tons of speculation out there right now. 

Stoney for months has been saying the Sox need a lefty run producer in RF

1 minute ago, maloney.adam said:

I would trade for Joey Gallo and Lance Lynn than. 

The big question to ask is if trading for Joey Gallo is worth it when you can sign Joc. Gallo has been great in the OF. Him and Robert would make an exciting duo out there. 

9 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

I think signing Springer would be a waste of resources. We need a SP much more than we need a RF. If we’re going to spend big, then we better be upgrading the rotation before spending big on another position. 

• Like 1

Found this hidden gem on Twitter. Merkin says:

1. No one really knows how much the Sox will spend.

2. He does NOT squash a Bauer signing, says the Sox will be interested.

3. He does NOT squash the Springer possibility but says the Sox prefer a lefty.

4. He mentions Quintana a lot

5. Says the Sox want to sign 2 veteran starters.

All significant because in years past, he would have squashed all these ideas if the Sox were indeed not going to spend.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Found this hidden gem on Twitter. Merkin says:

1. No one really knows how much the Sox will spend.

2. He does NOT squash a Bauer signing, says the Sox will be interested.

3. He does NOT squash the Springer possibility but says the Sox prefer a lefty.

4. He mentions Quintana a lot

5. Says the Sox want to sign 2 veteran starters.

All significant because in years past, he would have squashed all these ideas if the Sox were indeed not going to spend.

Bauer, Pederson, Q, and Colome would be a great offseason in my opinion.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

• bmags locked this topic