Jump to content
soxfan49

Offseason Targets

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Orlando said:

Better offseason than last year 

Until Joc hits like Nomar and Q pitches like Lopez then in 9 months it will be an awful off-season.

We were pretty happy with most pick ups last year and now most hate it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Until Joc hits like Nomar and Q pitches like Lopez then in 9 months it will be an awful off-season.

We were pretty happy with most pick ups last year and now most hate it 

I still love last offseason. Grandal and Keuchel were the biggest pieces, and they were great. 

That’s why you can’t call the scenario you described as awful without knowing how Bauer performed. If I could sign up for the following offseason/results right now, I would do it in a heartbeat and consider it a great offseason:

1. Sign Bauer and he wins the Cy Young

2. Sign Joc and he’s worse than Nomar was this year 

3. Sign Q and he misses the entire year due to injury 

4. Sign Colome and he’s a little worse than last year, but still solid as a closer 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Until Joc hits like Nomar and Q pitches like Lopez then in 9 months it will be an awful off-season.

We were pretty happy with most pick ups last year and now most hate it 

I still think last offseason was awesome but I think this one proposed would be better at the time of signing then last year 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Until Joc hits like Nomar and Q pitches like Lopez then in 9 months it will be an awful off-season.

We were pretty happy with most pick ups last year and now most hate it 

Hate what?  Last offseason?  Our big two additions combined for 3.5 wins in a 60 game season which is fantastic .  Yes, Edwin, González, Mazara, & Cishek were busts, but at least they didn’t require any multi-year commitments. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, maloney.adam said:

If this accurate, I wonder why Steve Stone would say he doesn’t think Springer would come here than? Does that mean the other top free agents wouldn’t sign here as well? Tons of speculation out there right now. 

Simple, because Springer is a luxury and the luxury we need to spend on is pitching.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

What does everyone think of a cheap trade for Polanco from the Pirates for RF? Too close to Mazara? Or worth a gamble?

Same boat at Mazara IMO.. Give me a legit upgrrade

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

What does everyone think of a cheap trade for Polanco from the Pirates for RF? Too close to Mazara? Or worth a gamble?

He’s horrible, no thanks. I’d rather have Mazara.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Until Joc hits like Nomar and Q pitches like Lopez then in 9 months it will be an awful off-season.

We were pretty happy with most pick ups last year and now most hate it 

I'd be happy with it aside from the fact I still want Ozuna. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Flash said:

Would be surprised. 

Predicton: he rejects it, he has to wait until the compensation expires before he signs anything, like Keuchel and Kimbrel had to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Same boat at Mazara IMO.. Give me a legit upgrrade

Not even. Polanco is 29. At least Mazara has the slightest potential to have a good year or two in his future at 25.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Predicton: he rejects it, he has to wait until the compensation expires before he signs anything, like Keuchel and Kimbrel had to.

will take the other side of that bet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

 

Not even. Polanco is 29. At least Mazara has the slightest potential to have a good year or two in his future at 25.

I agree. I just meant as in I have no interest in another "Let's hope he finds his potential" candidate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Predicton: he rejects it, he has to wait until the compensation expires before he signs anything, like Keuchel and Kimbrel had to.

This would absolutely happen to Gausman.  Stroman, someone would jump

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

This would absolutely happen to Gausman.  Stroman, someone would jump

In a normal market? Sure. In a 2018 style constrained market? I'm more skeptical. In the nightmare market that I'm expecting...

Basically, I think the prediction we saw a couple days ago is right. A couple teams like the Mets, Giants, and Angels will go out and sign 1 big name each, taking Realmuto and Bauer off the market, at moderate discounts perhaps. The middle part of the free agent market will then collapse, as no one will be willing to spend money on anything there, too many teams cutting payroll. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw the Future Sox tweet about us signing Anderson Severino, so I hustled over to Baseball Reference to look him up, only to find that he is a 24 year old with a 6.97 ERA in 31 innings in A-ball.

I find the Future Sox element of this signing to be unlikely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Danny Dravot said:

I saw the Future Sox tweet about us signing Anderson Severino, so I hustled over to Baseball Reference to look him up, only to find that he is a 24 year old with a 6.97 ERA in 31 innings in A-ball.

I find the Future Sox element of this signing to be unlikely.

We cover the minor leagues and it was a minor league deal. So we tweeted it. He’s just a body. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

In a normal market? Sure. In a 2018 style constrained market? I'm more skeptical. In the nightmare market that I'm expecting...

Basically, I think the prediction we saw a couple days ago is right. A couple teams like the Mets, Giants, and Angels will go out and sign 1 big name each, taking Realmuto and Bauer off the market, at moderate discounts perhaps. The middle part of the free agent market will then collapse, as no one will be willing to spend money on anything there, too many teams cutting payroll. 

This. Without visibility into revenue outlook, seriously doubt we'll see aggressive spending. That's why I'd be surprised if Stroman declines the QO. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Flash said:

This. Without visibility into revenue outlook, seriously doubt we'll see aggressive spending. That's why I'd be surprised if Stroman declines the QO. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if he declines it but I think it’s a mistake to do so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if he declines it but I think it’s a mistake to do so.

Stroman? I think his floor is like 3/$40M with the QO. I’d take the over. I don’t really think he’s making a mistake if declines it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Stroman? I think his floor is like 3/$40M with the QO. I’d take the over. I don’t really think he’s making a mistake if declines it. 

And I would be tickled to get Stroman at 3/$40M. As should everyone else on this board. Which means he’s likely to get quite a bit more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Stroman? I think his floor is like 3/$40M with the QO. I’d take the over. I don’t really think he’s making a mistake if declines it. 

What did Dallas Keuchel get? 3/$55, more than what you just gave to Stroman. And what happened when he had the QO? He had to sit out half the season because no one signed him. He lost millions by not accepting.

And that wasn’t in this pandemic mess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

What did Dallas Keuchel get? 3/$55, more than what you just gave to Stroman. And what happened when he had the QO? He had to sit out half the season because no one signed him. He lost millions by not accepting.

And that wasn’t in this pandemic mess.

Call me crazy, but in the pandemic, I could see the Sox preferring to lose a draft pick and take the savings to sign a free agent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×