Offseason Targets

soxfan49

43 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

Honest to god soxtalk is the dumbest fan site ever.  We draft a kid fourth overall who hit .360 in college. stole 39 out of 45 bases...stuck out 20 times in his last 400 college at bats who then went, at 22 and hits .340 in Birmingham where all bats go to die...then hits .340 at 23 in his first 29 major league games...and I have to defend my excitement?? Harold's LL saw some games on television and condemns this 23 year old as a finished...worthless product? Fathom comps him to Darwin Barney?  Why do so many of the Soxtalk regulars hate the White Sox? 

You must not have been to many other fan sites. It's by far the best White Sox fan site, and better than any other fan site I've been on. 

You're throwing a tantrum because people are questioning a very undersized prospect that constantly made blunders.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

Honest to god soxtalk is the dumbest fan site ever.  We draft a kid fourth overall who hit .360 in college. stole 39 out of 45 bases...stuck out 20 times in his last 400 college at bats who then went, at 22 and hits .340 in Birmingham where all bats go to die...then hits .340 at 23 in his first 29 major league games...and I have to defend my excitement?? Harold's LL saw some games on television and condemns this 23 year old as a finished...worthless product? Fathom comps him to Darwin Barney?  Why do so many of the Soxtalk regulars hate the White Sox? 

Yet, here you are.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

I call em like I see em so sometimes I say things that the fan boys don't like to hear and other things that make the fan girls absolutely lose their shit.  Oh well.  

You make a good point about trading Madrigal and Vaughn as some of the dumbest shit I heard. Why anyone would want to trade our recent  3rd and 4th round draft picks is mind boggling. Madrigal is the perfect player for out team and his glove will get better. All he did was hit in minors and majors and oh by the way he was playing hurt all year. And Vaughn could  be as good as hitter we have on this team and I suspect he will. Crazy idiotic talk for sure.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

You must not have been to many other fan sites. It's by far the best White Sox fan site, and better than any other fan site I've been on. 

You're throwing a tantrum because people are questioning a very undersized prospect that constantly made blunders.

Oh Jesus with this crap already.

Again, it was emphasized how excellent he was in the minors AND in his MLB rookie year but because he's short (the fuck does this matter?) and didn't do a great job baserunning IN HIS ROOKIE YEAR people are shitting on him.

Makes no sense. Nick is exactly the type of hitter the Sox have been needing for years. Dude can hit over 300 his rookie year and never strike out but fuck him, he's short. 

Yeah, Soxtalk overall is a great site but you're always gonna have your share of laughable nonsense and Nick is the subject of a lot of that.

Look how panicked people got about Moncada and declared him a bust after 1.5 years in the majors. There is definitely a lot of impatient knee jerking that goes on here.

Edited by RagahRagah
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, joesaiditstrue said:

so since most team's aren't gonna be spending this off season, does that mean most free agents are gonna hold out until nearly spring training before they sign?

I think only the legit A free agents are going to be willing to hold out for the right deal.  I think most of the B & C tier guys will be looking to grab whatever money they can as quickly as possible as we saw with Robbie Ray.  This offseason is going to be like musical chairs and at some point the money is going to run out and you don’t want to be the last guy without a deal when it does.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Robbie Ray signed for $8M. Maybe we aren’t going to get the bargain basement deals expected. That’s a pretty solid payday coming off his 2020. 

He was also the first free agent to sign and signed with a team most expected to be amongst the most aggressive in free agency.  I think what we’re seeing is the high end of what players in this tier will be getting this offseason.

3 hours ago, RagahRagah said:

Again, it was emphasized how excellent he was in the minors AND in his MLB rookie year but because he's short (the fuck does this matter?) and didn't do a great job baserunning IN HIS ROOKIE YEAR people are shitting on him.

Makes no sense. Nick is exactly the type of hitter the Sox have been needing for years. Dude can hit over 300 his rookie year and never strike out but fuck him, he's short. 

Yeah, Soxtalk overall is a great site but you're always gonna have your share of laughable nonsense and Nick is the subject of a lot of that.

Look how panicked people got about Moncada and declared him a bust after 1.5 years in the majors. There is definitely a lot of impatient knee jerking that goes on here.

Plus, regarding those base running plays where he was out, the plays were very close and it took perfect plays by defenses to get him.  And, he was probably sent by coaches,  Nick is/will be a very good base runner.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, SoxSteve said:

You make a good point about trading Madrigal and Vaughn as some of the dumbest shit I heard. Why anyone would want to trade our recent  3rd and 4th round draft picks is mind boggling. Madrigal is the perfect player for out team and his glove will get better. All he did was hit in minors and majors and oh by the way he was playing hurt all year. And Vaughn could  be as good as hitter we have on this team and I suspect he will. Crazy idiotic talk for sure.

3rd and 4th OVERALL, not round.

6 hours ago, RagahRagah said:

He played in a shortened season and missed a handful of games. He has absolutely zero power. It's possible teams adjust to him.

Look, I like Nick as a prospect. I think it's fair for people to criticize him too. Is he going to be good, or is he a modern day Eddie Gaedel?

Edited by Yearnin' for Yermin
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

He played in a shortened season and missed a handful of games. He has absolutely zero power. It's possible teams adjust to him.

Look, I like Nick as a prospect. I think it's fair for people to criticize him too. Is he going to be good, or is he a modern day Eddie Gaedel?

The guy is a base hit machine and never strikes out. Why exactly is him not having HR power an issue?

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Because if he doesn't show some power the base hits will stop. The OF will play shallow and they'll take away the singles. 

This. We'll have to see how the league adjusts to Nick and how he adjusts to those adjustments. His value could be at an all time high for all we know.

5 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

This. We'll have to see how the league adjusts to Nick and how he adjusts to those adjustments. His value could be at an all time high for all we know.

Which could be why they tried to trade him, as Harold mentioned 

1 hour ago, maloney.adam said:

This would be absolutely inexcusable. It does against what Merkin and national writers have suggested but if this is the Sox trying to squash those rumors, it’s horrible. Having this old man leave his retirement for a first round exit lol.

31 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

The guy is a base hit machine and never strikes out. Why exactly is him not having HR power an issue?

He doesn't impact the baseball.  It's very difficult to project on a major league player who relies so heavily on dinks, dunks, bleeders and gernades.  Add the fact that he's not a difference maker on the bases or on defense and you have a very replaceable low impact player.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Orlando said:

This would be absolutely inexcusable. It does against what Merkin and national writers have suggested but if this is the Sox trying to squash those rumors, it’s horrible. Having this old man leave his retirement for a first round exit lol.

Literally no new information in this article. All just a summary of what Hahn said after the season. Gregor always seems to take a pessimistic approach to the Sox being aggressive.

• bmags locked this topic