Offseason Targets

soxfan49

19 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Merkin, Olney, Martino and Bruce suggest the Sox will spend.

Scott Gregor says they may stand pat.

What are we feeling ?

Gregor’s article contained no opinion by him at all. It was just sunning up what Hahn said.

3 hours ago, maloney.adam said:

I understand that but if they want to win championships they are going to have to make some moves for players that already have experience. You give some value away to gain some value back. I believe addressing their needs in free agency first than making some trades while still growing the farm is a smart way to go. If they want to win, they got to take some risks.

Using free-agency to fill in the existing roster is the way to go IMO.  That just takes money.  Trades eat into the team's future to deeply.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RagahRagah said:

Then I'd say this conclusion is mere speculation. And to assume he'll never add power or... get any balls deep into the outfield is a little silly. Weird to me how people consistently don't take into consideration a rookie player's possibility of learning to make adjustments as their career progresses.

He doesn't have the frame to add strength and he doesn't have the swing or approach that shows he will add power.  It's simple scouting.  

1 minute ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

He doesn't have the frame to add strength and he doesn't have the swing or approach that shows he will add power.  It's simple scouting.  

I think you would agree with me that the Sox thought he was a faster runner and his arm strength was better. When he was drafted, I know there was speculation that the Sox hoped he could play SS.  That seems to have gone the same path of Burdi as starting pitcher.

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

I think you would agree with me that the Sox thought he was a faster runner and his arm strength was better. When he was drafted, I know there was speculation that the Sox hoped he could play SS.  That seems to have gone the same path of Burdi as starting pitcher.

There's no doubt they thought they were getting a different player.  

53 minutes ago, fathom said:

Did they not scout the guy?  How could they think they were getting a different guy?  This isn’t some obscure high-schooler a scout sees play once, they should of had a pretty good idea of what they were getting.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Did they not scout the guy?  How could they think they were getting a different guy?  This isn’t some obscure high-schooler a scout sees play once, they should of had a pretty good idea of what they were getting.

Just a low ceiling pick. It doesn't help when the department is hamstrung by ownership though and a guy like Jarred Kelenic isn't an option 

13 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Just a low ceiling pick. It doesn't help when the department is hamstrung by ownership though and a guy like Jarred Kelenic isn't an option 

I agree he was a low ceiling pick, just not sure how they would have been surprised be his speed or defense.  Regardless, is it safe to say that Reinsdorf has a no HS policy in the 1st round or at least blocked Kelenic for some reason?

23 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I agree he was a low ceiling pick, just not sure how they would have been surprised be his speed or defense.  Regardless, is it safe to say that Reinsdorf has a no HS policy in the 1st round or at least blocked Kelenic for some reason?

The Chairman doesn’t like big bonuses to teenagers. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Always appreciate your willingness to share information. Do you think the Sox had legitimate interest in Kelenic? Seems like Madrigal was 100% their guy, but it may be because they knew the chairman wouldn't do it like you said.

They have a big bonus to a HS pitcher in this recent draft, though 

10 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

What would it take to land Marquez from Colorado?  Could we get it done without including Vaughn?

Colorado doesn't trade SP.

Won't happen.

They can't get SPs to sign there, so they have to keep the decent ones they have.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Always appreciate your willingness to share information. Do you think the Sox had legitimate interest in Kelenic? Seems like Madrigal was 100% their guy, but it may be because they knew the chairman wouldn't do it like you said.

They have a big bonus to a HS pitcher in this recent draft, though 

Overslot $2-$3 million bonuses in rounds 2-3 is much different than $6-$7 million for a teenage pick in round 1. Guys like Reinsdorf don’t see the surplus value. They never forget Courtney Hawkins and Kris Honel. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Because if he doesn't show some power the base hits will stop. The OF will play shallow and they'll take away the singles. 

You don't think they knew he didn't have any power last season ? How exactly do you shift on Madrigal ? Just how shallow can an OF play ? He if shoots a ball down  a line an OF would have a long run to catch up to it as it rolls into a corner. Would a team rather accept a single from him every now and then or give up triples or inside the park HR's from playing too shallow ?

This is not a girl who looks like she never swung a bat before in your local co-ed softball league.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That would be horrific.  Why are we emptying the farm for two guys under control for one and two years respectively?

You know why. Because your average fan knows our guys years of control but not other team's . They just know Gallo and Lynn are players fitting holes on the roster but not thinking long term. I get amazed people would rather subject themselves to sounding unknowledgeable then use the miraculous resource at their fingertips that is the internet to better their knowledge.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, maloney.adam said:

Does this guy have any credibility? He seems to comment on the Sox quite a bit.

Sox fans tend to do that. We all have opinions. What exactly has he posted that he needs to be credible about ? Certainly not these two. One states the obvious with a pretended knowledge of what the other 29 teams are doing. The 2nd one is pure opinion.

There's enough baseball talk on the internet that could keep you reading 24/7 . Basically you maybe read the 25 best twitters resources and some other websites and voila, if you have any memory at all or bookmarks your info you become instant Sox expert without having to name your resources.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

• bmags locked this topic