Offseason Targets

soxfan49

20 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

He was just hired and DUI charges the day beforehand wasn't enough to get him fired. 

Don’t worry, he’s also coming off a front office run that became the laughingstock of the league.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

I think Madrigal easily destroys those numbers for league minimum.  I know you’re saying “IF they trade Madrigal”, but maybe this just proves that keeping Madrigal is a super no-brainer?

I have no idea why they would look into Wong if they aren't planning on trading Madrigal.  And unless you can really get a nice piece back I'm not sure why you need to trade him.

I think the Sox are fine with Madrigal at 2B.  I am not sure that 2B/9 hitter is an area they need to devote resources to when they have such a big hole in RF and in the rotation, and are also in need of a back end arm in their pen.

1 minute ago, YourWhatHurts said:

I have no idea why they would look into Wong if they aren't planning on trading Madrigal.  And unless you can really get a nice piece back I'm not sure why you need to trade him.

I think the Sox are fine with Madrigal at 2B.  I am not sure that 2B/9 hitter is an area they need to devote resources to when they have such a big hole in RF and in the rotation, and are also in need of a back end arm in their pen.

If the Sox aren’t going to spend on a great starter (they should but we know how they work), who else can they possibly trade for one? 

1 minute ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Because they can spend on RF and use Madrigal in a trade to get some pitching

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I think Reinsdorf is getting a little tired of throwing a bunch of money at free agents and getting nothing in return. 

Well there’s very little margin for error when the frugal owner operates as he does. Doesn’t play at top of free agent market, doesn’t spend on 16 year old international talent, doesn’t spend money on prep players in round 1, etc. Fuck Jerry Reinsdorf. Nobody should feel bad for him. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1
  • Fire 2

21 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Yea.  I mean if they want to trade him for a good pitcher and then sign Lemehieu, you know, no complaints here.  Sox have plenty of options for sure.  

I think a big signing and a big trade puts them in a good spot, no matter who is involved

400 hits between SS & 2B?  Mercy

Edited by Jerksticks
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Well there’s very little margin for error when the frugal owner operates as he does. Doesn’t play at top of free agent market, doesn’t spend on 16 year old international talent, doesn’t spend money on prep players in round 1, etc. Fuck Jerry Reinsdorf. Nobody should feel bad for him. 

Where did I say I feel bad for him?

Part of the dorf's "getting nothing in return" stems from his philosophies on players earning their salaries or whatever, e.g. his GM makes a mistake and signs a Dunn or a Linebrink and we have to see these guys play like shit until finally another team is willing to take the last 0.5 to 1.0  seasons of their deals off of our hands.  Maybe if he dumped some shitty FA signings earlier like other teams do and put just a warm body in their places here and there he would have seen cumulatively better results.

^I will add it was nice to see the Sox cut Herrera.  But then they also fucked their selves twice as bad as that move did them good by dumping INTL slot money in exchange for saving a few dollars on Wellington's and Jones' buyouts.  And it was also goo that they cut Danks but they still let that train ride on too long.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Cry more

What am I crying about?  I just find your dumb takes humorous.  Literally, you are glorifying the owner of the team “cutting of the knees” of his GM when he could just fire him if he was truly that incompetent.  Plus you somehow think giving 76 year old Tony La Russa personnel power is a good thing.  Thank god you are only connected to scouts and none of the people that actually make decisions.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Where did I say I feel bad for him?

You didn’t. The point is every team makes mistakes in free agency. If the owner doesn’t like Grandal though, he’s the issue. One of the best players at his position in the sport. I’ll never understand the hate. The biggest issue with the White Sox has been and always will be Jerry Reinsdorf. That was my point. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Part of the dorf's "getting nothing in return" stems from his philosophies on players earning their salaries or whatever, e.g. his GM makes a mistake and signs a Dunn or a Linebrink and we have to see these guys play like shit until finally another team is willing to take the last 0.5 to 1.0  seasons of their deals off of our hands.  Maybe if he dumped some shitty FA signings earlier like other teams do and put just a warm body in their places here and there he would have seen cumulatively better results.

His issue is being dumb as hell about what types of risk are acceptable. As well as handicapping his org constantly in order to be in better bargaining positions for CBA. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

You didn’t. The point is every team makes mistakes in free agency. If the owner doesn’t like Grandal though, he’s the issue. One of the best players at his position in the sport. I’ll never understand the hate. The biggest issue with the White Sox has been and always will be Jerry Reinsdorf. That was my point. 

I agree with the latter and it's more than just the owner with the former.  

16 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What am I crying about?  I just find your dumb takes humorous.  Literally, you are glorifying the owner of the team “cutting of the knees” of his GM when he could just fire him if he was truly that incompetent.  Plus you somehow think giving 76 year old Tony La Russa personnel power is a good thing.  Thank god you are only connected to scouts and none of the people that actually make decisions.

Fangirl gonna fangirl

Sox should approach the Red Sox about Grandal + Lopez + 1-2 small pieces for Vazquez + Eovaldi.

Money should be pretty close.  Vazquez is an upgrade over Grandal and Eovaldi becomes the 5th starter/swingman.  At least he should be able to split the #5 slot with Kopech this year and maybe with Crochet next year.  I bet the Red Sox want out of that money.

Edited by YourWhatHurts
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Sox should approach the Red Sox about Grandal + Lopez + 1-2 small pieces for Vazquez + Eovaldi.

Money should be pretty close.  Vazquez is an upgrade over Grandal and Eovaldi becomes the 5th starter/swingman.  At least he should be able to split the #5 slot with Kopech this year and maybe with Crochet next year.  I bet the Red Sox want out of that money.

In what world is Christian Vazquez better than Grandal? I’m gonna need this explained to me. That’s absurd. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

11 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

What?

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Christian Vazquez is not, and never has been, better than Yasmani Grandal. 

• Like 4

Going off of my last posted idea:

Grandal + Lopez + lower prospect for Vazquez + Eovaldi --> add a small amount of money only

Keuchel + Dunning + Marshall for Darvish ---> keep money about the same; Cubs get to try to contend with a deeper rotation & bullpen

Madrigal + Thompson + Adolfo for Scherzer + cash

Sign Springer

Sign Colome or someone else for about $6-7M

Rotation: Scherzer, Giolito, Darvish, Cease, Eovaldi & Kopech

Bullpen: FA, Bummer, Heuer in the back, Crochet gets added later for the postseason run

C Vazquez

1B/DH Abreu

1B/DH Vaughn

2B Mendick / FA

SS Anderson

3B Moncada

LF Eloy

CF Robert

RF Springer

Bench: Collins C, Leury UT, Mendick IF, Engel OF

Edited by YourWhatHurts

• bmags locked this topic