Will the Front Office Fire Renteria?

shago

Will the Front Office Fire Renteria?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Will they send Ricky packing?

• Yes
    • No

14 minutes ago, Baron said:

Absolutely no way. The fact that Jim Boylen was allowed to be fired is a miracle. Rick isn't going anywhere. 

Jerry no longer oversees the Bulls. The White Sox will have a complete makeover this decade once a new managing partner and or new ownership group takes over.

Rick Hahn inherited a .500 team (85-77) when hired as GM, and took the team  290-309 .447 in his first four years while he was "trying" (and failing) to win (2013-2016). His record trying was marginally better than Rick Renteria's record during three years of tanking + this aborted season (236-309 . 433).

Rick Hahn hired Rick Renteria after an exhaustive 24 hour job search. Rick Hahn extended Rick Renteria's contract after 2019. Rick Hahn should not get a third bite at the manager apple.

No way as I said in the other thread, he won games at a 94 win clip with 2 and a half starting pitchers and narrowly lost a best of 3 series against the 2 seed.

People say "because of jerry" but there is simply no precedent in baseball history that a manager coming off a losing season has such a successful season and gets fired. That has simply never happened white sox or any other team. He is back 100%.

Of course he did make a couple mistakes but bottom line his team still performed much better than even the most optimistic projection said.

Edited by Dominikk85
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Renteria did not take Eloy out after he initially injured his ankle stepping on first base. Eloy probably aggravated that injury when he ran the bases following that.

Renteria made a farce out of the last game with his foolhardy decisions, like issuing an intentional walk in the midst of a 5 walk inning.

I can't focus all of my ire toward Renteria though. Keuchel had a terrible game 2 which allowed  Oakland back in the series.  Michael Kopech also has to be mentioned. Game 3 could have been his game. He let the team and White Sox fans down because he could not get his own affairs in order.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think they should. But bc of how the team performed despite of him they won't. 

Now mind you, to his defense, he played a season w 2 starting pitchers, how many rookies or 2nd yr players in the line up? Moncada wasn't himself post covid.

Despite the above, if you really pay attention, the guy sets poor lineups and doesn't manage the BP well. 

I agree he won’t be fired, but it’s infuriating that the Sox only have “2 starting pitchers”.  Too much potential for Cooper to continue to fail in terms of developing starters.  Some change is desperately needed in the organization.  This year was successful, but it was also set up perfectly for this team. They flat out weren’t a good team against actual contenders and were below .500 against RHP.

Edited by fathom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Based on how all the franchise adjacent media are talking, I think there is a real chance. 

I think they won't though, because I think Hahn really likes the idea of having groomed Jirschele to be a young prodigy manager, but with the minor league season canceled they probably think it is a year too early to give him the job still, so RR stays for one morem

2 hours ago, tray said:

Renteria did not take Eloy out after he initially injured his ankle stepping on first base. Eloy probably aggravated that injury when he ran the bases following that.

Renteria made a farce out of the last game with his foolhardy decisions, like issuing an intentional walk in the midst of a 5 walk inning.

I can't focus all of my ire toward Renteria though. Keuchel had a terrible game 2 which allowed  Oakland back in the series.  Michael Kopech also has to be mentioned. Game 3 could have been his game. He let the team and White Sox fans down because he could not get his own affairs in order.

These posts bashing Kopech are such bad takes.

Life is more important than baseball and you can't take someone else's inventory. Period.

• Like 3

Sox might be the only team to win the first game then subsequently lose the series.  That speaks volumes since the Astros beat the Twins with the worst road record in baseball.  Managers matter and you have to put your guys in the best position for them to succeed.  RR did not.

3 hours ago, fathom said:

I agree he won’t be fired, but it’s infuriating that the Sox only have “2 starting pitchers”.  Too much potential for Cooper to continue to fail in terms of developing starters.  Some change is desperately needed in the organization.  This year was successful, but it was also set up perfectly for this team. They flat out weren’t a good team against actual contenders and were below .500 against RHP.

I agree with this but also struggle with it.

The job was not easy this year, and taken as a whole we got a LOT out of very young bullpen pieces. You had 2 pitchers come up who had just been throwing fake games and asked to take a lot of starts

Rick has supplied a lot of poor command guys, some with exceptional stuff. They will have a high flame out rate.

He couldn't get some great arms in rodon, lopez, and looking like Cease to find any control. Makes me nervous for Kopech.

So it's really hard to judge. I agree, it doesn't feel like he had a good year. But I don't know really how much blame lies where. The scouting staff/dev/hahn do seem to have had some success finding pitchers with good sinkers or changeups. I think they should lean into that a bit more at least on the major league market while they tweak their power arm development.

12 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Whats the consensus on people that aren't WS fans? They do look at Renteria as a good manager? Would the world be shocked if we fire him?

if I'm a person being asked this question about any other team, I would shrug my shoulder at any manager being fired except probably cash and francona (get well).