shago

Will the Front Office Fire Renteria?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Will they send Ricky packing?

• Yes
    • No

20 hours ago, Dan of Steel said:

Rick Hahn didn't inherit jack. 

That 2012 team was essentially the remains of the old guard. It was an aging lineup, where the most producing OPS guys were all on the wrong side of 30. 

Konerko, Rios, AJ and Youkilis were all pretty much fell off after that season, and there was next to no talent to replace it. 

Hahn inherited one of the worst farms in the system and was urged by Jerry and KW to essentially build the team from the ground up and keep competing. Took them 3 goddamn years to finally commit to rebuilding. 

Hahn did not “inherit” one of the “worst farms in the system”.  He was the #2 guy in charge within the organization for ten years prior to his promotion to GM and was primarily responsible, along with KW, for the state and condition of the farm system at that time.  

And to date, many years later, he still hasn’t built a scouting and player development program that can achieve a top ten farm system status on its own and not rely on trading off major league assets to acquire other team’s top prospects to do so.   

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

JR is loyal to everyone except the fans.

Because JR is presumably working on his last few years as owner of the WS...none of us really knows what he will do with spending and staff decisions.  Winning would certainly add to the club's value.  Obviously, winning will be affected by the money spent and who is managing.

On 10/2/2020 at 9:05 AM, SonofaRoache said:

A winning organization would fire him, see Cubs. We won't because as Hahn said, he "deserves" the opportunity to enjoy success here. not earned the right, but simply deserves to. 

In fairness, Maddon's availability came a week before RR was fired.  

Going with a hard no on this. The same FO that gave Ricky a secret extension that they refused to share the length of is enough for me to believe this is Ricky's ship for the foreseeable future. They aren't going to fire a manager that got to the playoffs after 7 straight losing seasons. We need to be realistic with how this team operates with the current FO and JR signing the checks.

5 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Going with a hard no on this. The same FO that gave Ricky a secret extension that they refused to share the length of is enough for me to believe this is Ricky's ship for the foreseeable future. They aren't going to fire a manager that got to the playoffs after 7 straight losing seasons. We need to be realistic with how this team operates with the current FO and JR signing the checks.

This is all fair, but I feel like we’ve typically avoided lame-duck managers in the past.  If they’re sure Ricky is their guy, then he’ll likely be extended this offseason.  If not, I think that signals there is real concern with him.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This is all fair, but I feel like we’ve typically avoided lame-duck managers in the past.  If they’re sure Ricky is their guy, then he’ll likely be extended this offseason.  If not, I think that signals there is real concern with him.

Robin Ventura stuck around for 5 seasons. You can't get much more lame-duck than that.

Renteria has one more year on his deal and he’s earned the right to coke back next year to be the manager imo.

That being said, next year is do or die for him. He doesn’t make strides again like he did this year, he’s gone.

Ideally the next manager is someone who can win while still developing the players. 

• Haha 1

Stone, Frank, Ozzie and Chuck have all ripped Ricky fairly publicly. That wouldn't be happening if Ricky was staying for the foreseeable future like some here think. He's definitely on the hot seat after the boneheaded decisions this year.

Rick Hahn isn't blind. This rebuild will be his legacy. He won't let that ship sink with Ricky freaking Renteria continuing to manage is things aren't going well. 

• Like 4

I think the only way Ricky gets fired if superstar manager like maddon becomes suddenly available. If a rookie manager like jirschele was coming it would have happened already.

Hahn is Not going to fire a manager of a.580 team for a rookie manager or Promotion because if it goes wrong he will be gone.

The only chance RR gets fired now is for an established star manager if he becomes available (maddon, girardi).

And i doubt they will take a tainted manager like hinch or cora, no need to take that baggage.

I think next year Ricky will be under the microscope. This year hahn can't really fire Ricky because the results were so good (better than the true talent of the team)  and if Hahn fires Ricky and then the Sox miss the post season next year hahn would be on the hot seat. 

To secure his own job hahn needs to wait for a bad period to fire Ricky and with  a bad period I'm not talking a 15 game stretch (every WS winner has a bad 2-3 weeks) but a 50-60 game stretch or so. 

I think if the Sox are under. 500 in mid June next year Ricky is gone 

Edited by Dominikk85

1 hour ago, Dominikk85 said:

I think next year Ricky will be under the microscope. This year hahn can't really fire Ricky because the results were so good (better than the true talent of the team)  and if Hahn fires Ricky and then the Sox miss the post season next year hahn would be on the hot seat. 

To secure his own job hahn needs to wait for a bad period to fire Ricky and with  a bad period I'm not talking a 15 game stretch (every WS winner has a bad 2-3 weeks) but a 50-60 game stretch or so. 

I think if the Sox are under. 500 in mid June next year Ricky is gone 

How were the results better than the true talent of the team?

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

How were the results better than the true talent of the team?

The projection for the team at fangraphs had the team at 31 wins so the team outperformed that by 4 wins. 

The team has great talent but also big holes, usually a team with only two legit starters doesn't win games at a 94 win clip (might not have happened anyway over 162)

Edited by Dominikk85

On 10/3/2020 at 2:53 PM, southsider2k5 said:

Try a new shtick, the nickname isn't funny or cute.

I didn't get the announcement that you were the official expert on this chat forum as to what is or isn't funny. Based on your comment, you must be one of those few that thinks our manager did a good job and should keep his job! 

6 minutes ago, ejm3 said:

I didn't get the announcement that you were the official expert on this chat forum as to what is or isn't funny. Based on your comment, you must be one of those few that thinks our manager did a good job and should keep his job! 

Ah yes.  That is why a 5 year olds style nickname wasn't funny.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Ah yes.  That is why a 5 year olds style nickname wasn't funny.

Did someone call him Sticky Renteria?  Ricky Diarreha?   I didn't read it all, but that's what I would have been all over as a 5 year old.  Well, maybe 7 for the latter.  He kept running out to the mound?  Get it??? Get it??? Mostly though it kind rhymes.  If you squint with your ears.  

Edited by turnin' two

Just now, turnin' two said:

Did someone call him Sticky Renteria?  Ricky Diarreha?   I didn't read it all, but that's what I would have been all over as a 5 year old.  Well, maybe 7 for the latter.  

you really captured the 7 year old spelling 😁

8 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Did someone call him Sticky Renteria?  Ricky Diarreha?   I didn't read it all, but that's what I would have been all over as a 5 year old.  Well, maybe 7 for the latter.  He kept running out to the mound?  Get it??? Get it??? Mostly though it kind rhymes.  If you squint with your ears.  

Adding loser to his name.