Will the Front Office Fire Renteria?

shago

Will the Front Office Fire Renteria?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Will they send Ricky packing?

• Yes
    • No

Can Ricky Renteria lead this team to a World Series? I would say a majority of us would say no after they finished a measly 3-10 during the final 13 games of the regular season and wildcard round. Many of those 10 loses could have easily been victories if it weren't for bullpen mismanagement. To me, this is 100% on Renteria. He experimented when he shouldn't have and tried new things in critical situations. These are things managers shouldn't do in a pennant race. 

Now with that being said, this season was unique and there were injuries to key players. But all teams felt those same things. This roster wasn't complete yet as well. Having only two reliable starters wasn't going to win this team a championship in 2020. However, not giving your two young starters an opportunity to work through some high pressure situations isn't going to add to their confidence moving forward. That was not good messaging. 

I would 100% look to improve the managerial position this winter. However, we know the White Sox and their patterns of loyalty. Hahn will likely augment the roster and make this team even better for 2021. Renteria will likely stay. And if they once again crash and burn in 2021 and lets say miss the playoffs, or get bounced in a wildcard game/round OR the divisional round-- that justifies a managerial change x 1000. 

Long story short, we will see RR back for the 2021 season. So hold onto your butts. 

Edited by GreatScott82

His handling of the bullpen (and lineups to a degree) over the last week of the regular season should be reason for firing alone.  Yesterday's handling of the bullpen wasn't completely his fault, but in hindsight pulling Dunning after 15 pitches was a mistake that led to an avalanche of shit.

I'm really concerned that the Sox will go out and pick up another SP or two and a real right fielder and be a very good team next year...with a subpar manager.

Ricky seems like a nice guy, but nice doesn't win championships.

He needs to go, but I don't see the Sox firing him unfortunately.

• Like 3

I doubt that they fire him.  The only reason that I think they might is the criticism coming from Stone who really has seemed to be a bit of a mouthpiece for the front office recently.  Steve made it pretty clear they were not making a move at the trade deadline and he sure was right about that.

1 hour ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Whats the consensus on people that aren't WS fans? They do look at Renteria as a good manager? Would the world be shocked if we fire him?

The media and national fans think he's dumb. Yhe only folks that like him are the players and FO. Not sure his family does. 

I think they should talk to the players about what they think of him after the collapse of the last couple weeks. Did the players give up on him? Do they think it’s his fault? Was it him who sucked the fun out of the team? I don’t have the answers to these questions but if the players don’t wanna play for him anymore then fire him.

4 hours ago, yesterday333 said:

I think they should talk to the players about what they think of him after the collapse of the last couple weeks. Did the players give up on him? Do they think it’s his fault? Was it him who sucked the fun out of the team? I don’t have the answers to these questions but if the players don’t wanna play for him anymore then fire him.

I'm sure Ricky is a great guy and the players love him

Undisputedly, however, he is a pathetic strategic manager

IBM Watson would be a better manager in terms of strategy

• Love 1

6 hours ago, pettie4sox said:

Sox might be the only team to win the first game then subsequently lose the series.  That speaks volumes since the Astros beat the Twins with the worst road record in baseball.  Managers matter and you have to put your guys in the best position for them to succeed.  RR did not.

Not with this organization,

11 hours ago, tray said:

Renteria did not take Eloy out after he initially injured his ankle stepping on first base. Eloy probably aggravated that injury when he ran the bases following that.

Renteria made a farce out of the last game with his foolhardy decisions, like issuing an intentional walk in the midst of a 5 walk inning.

I can't focus all of my ire toward Renteria though. Keuchel had a terrible game 2 which allowed  Oakland back in the series.  Michael Kopech also has to be mentioned. Game 3 could have been his game. He let the team and White Sox fans down because he could not get his own affairs in order.

You saying probably in the 1st paragraph means it's conjecture not fact.

Why was that move foolhardy ? I'd like to hear your explanation before I respond. Maybe you are a baseball savant and I won't be able to refute your logic .

JR is a loyal son of a gun which I think is admirable.  Our only hope is a promotion of some sort.   RR and Coop have worn out their welcome with most Sox fans but JR needs a way of offering some kind of soft landing for those he considers loyal soldiers.  I would love Jirschele as manager and Dotson as our pitching coach.  That combination should appeal to both JR's sense of loyalty and thrift while satisfying my need for change at those two positions.

18 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Jerry no longer oversees the Bulls. The White Sox will have a complete makeover this decade once a new managing partner and or new ownership group takes over.

Rick Hahn inherited a .500 team (85-77) when hired as GM, and took the team  290-309 .447 in his first four years while he was "trying" (and failing) to win (2013-2016). His record trying was marginally better than Rick Renteria's record during three years of tanking + this aborted season (236-309 . 433).

Rick Hahn hired Rick Renteria after an exhaustive 24 hour job search. Rick Hahn extended Rick Renteria's contract after 2019. Rick Hahn should not get a third bite at the manager apple.

Rick Hahn didn't inherit jack. 

That 2012 team was essentially the remains of the old guard. It was an aging lineup, where the most producing OPS guys were all on the wrong side of 30. 

Konerko, Rios, AJ and Youkilis were all pretty much fell off after that season, and there was next to no talent to replace it. 

Hahn inherited one of the worst farms in the system and was urged by Jerry and KW to essentially build the team from the ground up and keep competing. Took them 3 goddamn years to finally commit to rebuilding. 

3 hours ago, Dan of Steel said:

Rick Hahn didn't inherit jack. 

That 2012 team was essentially the remains of the old guard. It was an aging lineup, where the most producing OPS guys were all on the wrong side of 30. 

Konerko, Rios, AJ and Youkilis were all pretty much fell off after that season, and there was next to no talent to replace it. 

Hahn inherited one of the worst farms in the system and was urged by Jerry and KW to essentially build the team from the ground up and keep competing. Took them 3 goddamn years to finally commit to rebuilding. 

Hahn, along with White Sox GM Ken Williams and chairman Jerry Reinsdorf collaborated on all important baseball decisions in Chicago.

The ten years leading up to the 2012 promotion, with "jack" in place for the next decade, was largely based on Hahn's input. Other teams raped the Sox dumping their washed up veterans that did nothing here once Hahn was promoted. See Tatis and Oakland "didn't do their homework" A's winning pitchers and #3 hitter. Theo pwned Hahn's ass in the two drafts he picked directly after, selecting Schwarber and Happ over Fulmer (Gone) and Rodon (Gone).

The two areas Hahn has shown some level of success are no longer available, unless Jerry is still running things and keeping him for the next rebuild (tanking trades). Abreu and Robert came from international free agent signings, now capped after Jerry and his fellow "broke" owners had enough of bidding on these players and implemented the cap.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

7 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You saying probably in the 1st paragraph means it's conjecture not fact.

Why was that move foolhardy ? I'd like to hear your explanation before I respond. Maybe you are a baseball savant and I won't be able to refute your logic .

What's with the sports savant shit?   My opinion is based on common sense and my own experience with sports injuries.

Several games back, Eloy hit first base awkwardly and hopped around to take weight off it after he passed the bag..  He was trying to walk the pain off and wincing. Renteria then came out to talk to him. After a brief discussion Renteria decided to leave him in rather than opting for a pinch runner. . Eloy then had to run the bases hard. He came up lame and had to leave the game.  Eloy re-injured the same ankle a few games later. The re-injured ankle caused him to miss most of the play-off series.  Fuk Renteria. He makes bad decisions left and right. I hope they can him.

• Thanks 1

Hahn's future in this game depends on how this rebuild works out.  I find it hard to believe he'd put his own future in the hands of Ricky Renteria after some of the bewildering decisions we all saw this season.  Hahn has JR's ear.  I believe we'll start the '21 season with a new manager and coaching staff.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, poppysox said:

JR is a loyal son of a gun which I think is admirable.  Our only hope is a promotion of some sort.   RR and Coop have worn out their welcome with most Sox fans but JR needs a way of offering some kind of soft landing for those he considers loyal soldiers.  I would love Jirschele as manager and Dotson as our pitching coach.  That combination should appeal to both JR's sense of loyalty and thrift while satisfying my need for change at those two positions.

Loyalty is a low virtue, which is why mob bosses love it.

I'm just feeling pretty down about the Sox even though this year was probably a success overall going forward the team will be playing and fighting with one arm tied behind their back.

He's not getting fired because of the big picture. He got the team in the playoffs and the players seem to like him. Despite the horrible fade at the end, big picture says he stays. It'd look bad to fire a guy in the running for manager of the year. Frankly despite his awful moves during games he did lead a team with many holes into the playoffs. The Sox rotation was disgracefully bad. It has to improve or this team is winning nothing of real note.

• Like 1

He better be fired if we want to win a world series.  Ricky RenteLoser doesn't deserve this talented roster Rick Hahn put together. This is the same stage the Cubs were in when they fired RenterLoser to hire Maddon. He has a lifetime losing  W-L record. Imo, I don't think the players respect him that much either. Would you if you were playing for him and watch him make all these insanely bonehead moves like he did all season long and in the playoffs? If we as fans can see how pathetic RenteLoser is....don't you think the players see it as well?

Maybe I am reading the room wrong but I have a feeling that they will. Steve Stone, Chuck Garfein, Frank Thomas and Ozzie Guillen rip him without fear. Jerry owns these guys, and if Renteria was their guy, he would have squashed it weeks ago. Instead it has just gotten worse and worse. Even Gordon and Kap we’re ripping him a new one on Baseball Night in Chicago. It just doesn’t seem very “White Sox” to let those things slide. Also, I think Jerry realizes that he could fire Renteria and not make many significant FA signings this off season and casual fans will be pacified. Just my gut feeling right now. Renteria really crumbled under pressure. Got ejected in 3 of 5 games in the middle of a fight for the division and a horrible losing streak in which he made some very bone head decisions. Not to mention the Collins appearance and the last game of the playoffs (not 100% on him).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ejm3 said:

He better be fired if we want to win a world series.  Ricky RenteLoser doesn't deserve this talented roster Rick Hahn put together. This is the same stage the Cubs were in when they fired RenterLoser to hire Maddon. He has a lifetime losing  W-L record. Imo, I don't think the players respect him that much either. Would you if you were playing for him and watch him make all these insanely bonehead moves like he did all season long and in the playoffs? If we as fans can see how pathetic RenteLoser is....don't you think the players see it as well?

Try a new shtick, the nickname isn't funny or cute.

• Like 2

Firing ricky would be risky for Hahn too. Firing a manager is a protective move for a gm that takes the heat of him because it blames somebody else but you can only do that once or twice before you are the one getting canned. That means this is an arrow you don't want to waste prematurely.

As I said the sox won games on a 94-95 game pace and there is much more room to get worse than to get better.

So let's say hahn fires ricky and hires a different manager who does a good job but then 1 or 2 injuries , one or two underperformers and the sox win 83 games and miss the playoffs and all of a sudden Hahn is on the hot seat.

Going by process, not results sounds great in theory but nobody does it because in reality you are measured by results and much can happen out of your control.

Thus for Hahn's job security  it is much smarter to wait before the sox actually struggle (not two weeks which is nothing but two months plus) to fire ricky so the struggle is on ricky and not on hahn. 

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Try a new shtick, the nickname isn't funny or cute.

He's already using total homeruns and batting average over a small sample size to justify McCann over Grandal. Very original stuff

Damn you bandwagon trolls! I didn't see you around when the team was bad!

• Like 1