Random Prediction Time

fathom

Because Sox:

-We sign Joc to a small 1 year deal with a 2nd year option; Joc/Engel is the platoon

-James Paxton is the big signing on a 1 year reclamation deal

-McCann is gone; Colome is gone, though Sox pay lip service but he's out of their price range

-Nomore Nontenderazarra

-Yolmer comes back on a new deal

-Leury is bought out and I'm pissed about it because he's well worth the money and is an ideal bench option, but gotta save the $$$

-Someone's formerly good reliever (i.e. McGee, Wade Davis, etc.) is in camp trying to win a job, and maybe 2 of these guys

-Sox make a smaller deal that also pisses me off, e.g. they trade someone like Zack Collins and give up on him for a shitty veteran back-end starter who is only slightly more enticing than the Gio Gonzalez signing was

-Sox sign 1 vet reliever for $6M or less

Edited by YourWhatHurts
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Because Sox:

-We sign Joc to a small 1 year deal with a 2nd year option; Joc/Engel is the platoon

-James Paxton is the big signing on a 1 year reclamation deal

-McCann is gone; Colome is gone, though Sox pay lip service but he's out of their price range

-Nomore Nontenderazarra

-Yolmer comes back on a new deal

-Leury is bought out and I'm pissed about it because he's well worth the money and is an ideal bench option, but gotta save the $$$

-Someone's formally good reliever (i.e. McGee, Wade Davis, etc.) is in camp trying to win a job, and maybe 2 of these guys

-Sox make a smaller deal that also pisses me off, e.g. they trade someone like Zack Collins and give up on him for a shitty veteran back-end starter who is only slightly more enticing than the Gio Gonzalez signing was

-Sox sign 1 vet reliever for $6M or less

That would be a D- offseason.

I don't see it. I think you are being too pessimistic. 

Gotta think Jerry/Rick go into this offseason looking to make up for their mistakes this year. They have the team to win and they know it now. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Joc is a major NO to me. He's a LHB and hits power which is awesome, but we don't need another black hole type in our lineup. His power goes and he's utterly useless.

Thank you

22 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

Man I do NOT want Joc Pederson. I'd almost rather have Puig.

I rather have Mazara, and I really don't want Mazara but that may be the best the can do, hopefully at $2-3M as a DFA'd signing.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

1 hour ago, fathom said:

First transaction:  trade for Benintendi

1 hour ago, flavum said:

I don’t know, but stop signing guys that have been suspended for PEDs while in the union.

I like Benintendi. Calhoun would be interesting to trade for. Vaughn and Abreu should be DH/1B pretty much all season. 

Welcome to my club! Been pining for him for years (and yes I know he's regressed the last year+). Boston getting him at #7 and we follow that pick with Fulmer has always stood out as "what could have been vs. what we actually got" scenario for me. Would love to see him on this team next year, think he fits our need.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Joc is a major NO to me. He's a LHB and hits power which is awesome, but we don't need another black hole type in our lineup. His power goes and he's utterly useless.

I'm a proponent of the Joc/Engel platoon and a big part of the reason why is I like the combination of low base salary + likely 1 guaranteed year + no draft pick loss + no need to trade prospects.  It's kind of nice to have a position open which you can temporarily fill while you just wait it out for the perfect fit.  I really don't like blowing prospect capital and payroll headroom immediately to try to fill every hole.  Inevitably when you do that someone fails and then you end up stuck.

But of course I think a Joc/Engel platoon would be fairly productive and will make the OF defense better.  I am also definitely not on board with a Springer signing.  We aren't desperate to add power, and especially we're not desperate enough to add a longterm deal at big money to that kind of player profile which typically falls off quicker.

Markakis is another short-term option.  People here are talking about Conforto and Nimmo but maybe if the price comes down or in FA.  

Under-the-radar move: maybe we can swing a deal for Clint Frazier?  It might have to be a 3-way.  Not sure I'd want to give up Cease but it would probably cost that straight-up.

Also we could probably get Starling Marte cheap from the Marlins.

Mendick for Marte, who says no?  I would considering doing that to give Danny a shot somewhere, if they were interested, even though I think Danny is going to be a good player who will build better value than that if given enough playing time.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

First transaction:  DFA Rodon and Mazara

Crazy trade scenario:  Big trade for a SP that no one is talking about.  My guess, Marco Gonzalez

Biggest signing:  Stroman

2021 closer:  Colome

Bauer 2021 team:  Rangers

Extra Credit:  Cubs sell off Bryant and Schwarber this winter, don't add any significant free agents.

Why would you attempt to trade Bryant at his lowest value unless you think he’s never going to turn things around...and just want to save money?   If that’s the case, why hold on to Baez and Contreras, too?

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Why would you attempt to trade Bryant at his lowest value unless you think he’s never going to turn things around...and just want to save money?   If that’s the case, why hold on to Baez and Contreras, too?

Because a guy 1 year from free agency isn't going to recover his value?

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Because he has one year left. They need to do something or lose it all. IDK their money situation, but seems like a good move on their part. 

First transaction:  Rodon non-tender

Crazy trade scenario: Cease/Dunning for Gallen

Biggest signing:  Odorizzi or Brantley(depending on who you think would be bigger) 

2021 closer:  Bummer/Heuer Yes I mean both, depending on  how many lefties are due up. 

Bauer 2021 team:  Sawx (Boston) 

Edited by Jack Parkman

17 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Nomar Mazara is the opening day RF.  

That wouldn't bother me if the price was right.  He was hitting much better at the end of the season and his defense was better than advertised.  Mazara deserves the same slack we give Moncada for preseason illness weakening his overall performance.  I like Engel getting playing time as the right-hand part of a job share.  What money JR is willing to part with should go to pitching...pitching and more pitching.

29 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Welcome to my club! Been pining for him for years (and yes I know he's regressed the last year+). Boston getting him at #7 and we follow that pick with Fulmer has always stood out as "what could have been vs. what we actually got" scenario for me. Would love to see him on this team next year, think he fits our need.

I've always liked Benintendi but I wouldn't trade for him unless the cost was similar to Mazara. 

On the other hand, do you think Boston would do Lopez for Benintendi given they're hurting for MLB ready pitching? 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Nomar Mazara is the opening day RF.  

10 minutes ago, poppysox said:

That wouldn't bother me if the price was right.  He was hitting much better at the end of the season and his defense was better than advertised.  Mazara deserves the same slack we give Moncada for preseason illness weakening his overall performance.  I like Engel getting playing time as the right-hand part of a job share.  What money JR is willing to part with should go to pitching...pitching and more pitching.

Agree with both. There are rumors out there that Mazara also had Covid and is not sharing publicly, which is his right to do. 

17 minutes ago, poppysox said:

6 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Agree with both. There are rumors out there that Mazara also had Covid and is not sharing publicly, which is his right to do. 

Just ask yourself this - if the White Sox were to go out to spend on a quality starter, would you still want them to risk RF on that platoon?

Mazara would be a fine addition for someone like the Royals or Tigers, a team where, if he struggles, it doesn't cost them games in an obviously competitive year. He's the kind of move the 2018-2019 White Sox should be making, not the 2021 White Sox. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Just ask yourself this - if the White Sox were to go out to spend on a quality starter, would you still want them to risk RF on that platoon?

Mazara would be a fine addition for someone like the Royals or Tigers, a team where, if he struggles, it doesn't cost them games in an obviously competitive year. He's the kind of move the 2018-2019 White Sox should be making, not the 2021 White Sox. 

With a healthy Moncada and maybe adding Brantley/Benintendi(or even both) splitting time in LF and DH with Jimenez, you can hide Mazara for a half season if he continues to suck. I'm fine with a Mazara/Engel platoon to start the season.  If they acquire either Brantley or Benintendi(likely, as the FO has liked both players for a while) then you can slide one of those guys to RF, Eloy to LF and call up Vaughn for DH. 

I think they can cut Mazara after ST with only owing him like 300 or 800k. It's worth bringing him to ST for that amount of money. 

Edited by Jack Parkman