Random Prediction Time

fathom

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

With a healthy Moncada and maybe adding Brantley/Benintendi(or even both) splitting time in LF and DH with Jimenez, you can hide Mazara for a half season if he continues to suck. I'm fine with a Mazara/Engel platoon to start the season. 

I think they can cut Mazara after ST with only owing him like 300 or 800k. It's worth bringing him to ST for that amount of money. 

That's only if they offer him arbitration, which means they'd be offering him a $6 million-ish contract next year. 

If they want him for less than that, they would have to non-tender him, and then offer and sign him to a contract of the new dollar amount. That contract would be a free agent contract, meaning it would be guaranteed unless it was a minor league deal only.

Just now, Balta1701 said:

Just ask yourself this - if the White Sox were to go out to spend on a quality starter, would you still want them to risk RF on that platoon?

Mazara would be a fine addition for someone like the Royals or Tigers, a team where, if he struggles, it doesn't cost them games in an obviously competitive year. He's the kind of move the 2018-2019 White Sox should be making, not the 2021 White Sox. 

We are on the outside looking in because of pitching, not Mazara.  Obviously, we all want the best of everything.  I am suggesting pitching is our primary need.  When we have all the pitching we think we need...get some more.  Since the available money is finite I prefer to spend it where the greatest need exists.

25 minutes ago, poppysox said:

We are on the outside looking in because of pitching, not Mazara.  Obviously, we all want the best of everything.  I am suggesting pitching is our primary need.  When we have all the pitching we think we need...get some more.  Since the available money is finite I prefer to spend it where the greatest need exists.

Bingo.....

Edited by Jack Parkman

21 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Technically Mazara was the last out so...

But anyway, on a more serious answer - assume Abreu is not an MVP candidate next year. We were the #5 offense in MLB this year by runs scored, #8 by OPS, and #12 by OBP. Robert improving, Moncada getting healthy again offsets some (ok, maybe all of it with Robert). McCann being lost is a big offense loss. There's a need to keep improving this offense. 

Think about the Minnesota Twins last year. Top offense in baseball - Signed Donaldson, and because of some regression, were 18th in runs scored this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Why would you attempt to trade Bryant at his lowest value unless you think he’s never going to turn things around...and just want to save money?   If that’s the case, why hold on to Baez and Contreras, too?

Because he will make 25 or 30 million next year.

59 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I've always liked Benintendi but I wouldn't trade for him unless the cost was similar to Mazara. 

On the other hand, do you think Boston would do Lopez for Benintendi given they're hurting for MLB ready pitching? 

I've suggested for Cease, feel like he's more attractive to them with age and recent shiny prospect ranking. I would happily dump ReyLo on them for Benny 

Just now, MiddleCoastBias said:

I've suggested for Cease, feel like he's more attractive to them with age and recent shiny prospect ranking. I would happily dump ReyLo on them for Benny 

Both Benintendi and Lopez are derailed prospects at this point with early success and nothing since. Cease is an overpay, IMO. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

20 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Technically Mazara was the last out so...

But anyway, on a more serious answer - assume Abreu is not an MVP candidate next year. We were the #5 offense in MLB this year by runs scored, #8 by OPS, and #12 by OBP. Robert improving, Moncada getting healthy again offsets some (ok, maybe all of it with Robert). McCann being lost is a big offense loss. There's a need to keep improving this offense. 

Think about the Minnesota Twins last year. Top offense in baseball - Signed Donaldson, and because of some regression, were 18th in runs scored this year.

Yeah...Minnesota didn't have the pitching. My point exactly.   Everyone would opt for an Allstar at every position obviously.  If money is no object get whoever is the best available right fielder.  However, I will gladly settle for Mazara/Engel if we get the starting and relief pitching nailed down.

2 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Yeah...Minnesota didn't have the pitching. My point exactly.   Everyone would opt for an Allstar at every position obviously.  If money is no object get whoever is the best available right fielder.  However, I will gladly settle for Mazara/Engel if we get the starting and relief pitching nailed down.

I'm of the mind that (if it's possible), if you're going to spend in 2021 to put a team on the field you think can win the world series...you don't leave yourself a lineup hole on paper. Even if that's by trade...which of course I will probably hate when Hahn does it.

Just now, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I just don't see them spending a lot of money this off season and the money they do spend will be on pitching.  

Then...as much as I hate literally every trade Rick Hahn does...you have to trade for someone. There's no reason to spend on front line starting pitching this offseason if you're not going to fill out your roster. There's no reason to spend on front line starting pitching if you go up and down the list against the Yankees and think "yeah we're the underdogs". 

Just now, Balta1701 said:

Then...as much as I hate literally every trade Rick Hahn does...you have to trade for someone. There's no reason to spend on front line starting pitching this offseason if you're not going to fill out your roster. There's no reason to spend on front line starting pitching if you go up and down the list against the Yankees and think "yeah we're the underdogs". 

I think they'll revisit the Lance Lynn trade.  

1 minute ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I think they'll revisit the Lance Lynn trade.  

For a 1 year deal worth $10 million sure I'd consider it but I'm not giving up Stiever, let alone Vaughn or Cease, and they weren't nearly going to accept a deal like that at this trade deadline apparently. 

If you're bringing in Lynn as your main pitching addition, then either you're going cheap the whole offseason (Fine keep Mazara but non-tender him first), or you have money to spend to bring in a better RF even if it's not Ozuna. 

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

For a 1 year deal worth $10 million sure I'd consider it but I'm not giving up Stiever, let alone Vaughn or Cease, and they weren't nearly going to accept a deal like that at this trade deadline apparently. 

If you're bringing in Lynn as your main pitching addition, then either you're going cheap the whole offseason (Fine keep Mazara but non-tender him first), or you have money to spend to bring in a better RF even if it's not Ozuna. 

I'd trade Stiever and think real hard about Cease.  Lynn makes them a pretty good staff.  They'll spend their money on a couple bullpen arms and a DH while they play the service time game with Vaughn.  Maybe a backup catcher if they have no faith in Collins.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I'd trade Stiever and think real hard about Cease.  Lynn makes them a pretty good staff.  They'll spend their money on a couple bullpen arms and a DH while they play the service time game with Vaughn.  Maybe a backup catcher if they have no faith in Collins.  

Lynn would be a 33 year old, 1 year rental who in 2020 was on pace for a 4 fWAR season and who is being paid $10 million next year. He's not a bad player, but that's the kind of player I would trade depth for, not a guy I actually like. If you're shooting for that level of player, go sign Mike Leake for a year. He won't be as good for probably similar money, but would you trade Stiever for 1-2 fWAR total next year?  I'd trade guys like Lopez, Rutherford, and Fry for that - clear out some 40 man spots and give the Rangers some depth. Kevin Gausman for 2 years would probably be similar money too. Hold onto Stiever and move him at the deadline if you have to.

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Lynn would be a 33 year old, 1 year rental who in 2020 was on pace for a 4 fWAR season and who is being paid $10 million next year. He's not a bad player, but that's the kind of player I would trade depth for, not a guy I actually like. If you're shooting for that level of player, go sign Mike Leake for a year. He won't be as good for probably similar money, but would you trade Stiever for 1-2 fWAR total next year?  I'd trade guys like Lopez, Rutherford, and Fry for that - clear out some 40 man spots and give the Rangers some depth. Kevin Gausman for 2 years would probably be similar money too. Hold onto Stiever and move him at the deadline if you have to.

I get it but Lynn makes them so much better.  They easliy win that series with the A's (a legit playoff team) if they traded for him at the deadline and you would really like their chances against Houston.  Is Steiever worth a trip to the ALCS?  It will be interesteing to see who else comes on the trade market but I figure they already laid the groundwork for a trade with Texas and there is definitely a fit.  

Just now, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I get it but Lynn makes them so much better.  They easliy win that series with the A's (a legit playoff team) if they traded for him at the deadline and you would really like their chances against Houston.  Is Steiever worth a trip to the ALCS?  It will be interesteing to see who else comes on the trade market but I figure they already laid the groundwork for a trade with Texas and there is definitely a fit.  

No they do not. It makes it a more competitive game but there is no guarantee they win game 3. He had solid outings against Oakland this season but it's the playoffs, they would push him hard. A 6 IP, 2 run performance - it's a 2 run game for the bullpen to hold for 3 innings, and we saw how Oakland worked every at bat against our relievers so it could be tough for him to hold that. In his last outing against Houston, Lynn went 5.2 innings and gave up 10 runs. That was going to be a tight game no matter what, an elimination game everything gets pushed, and Oakland had way more playoff experience than us.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

No they do not. It makes it a more competitive game but there is no guarantee they win game 3. He had solid outings against Oakland this season but it's the playoffs, they would push him hard. A 6 IP, 2 run performance - it's a 2 run game for the bullpen to hold for 3 innings, and we saw how Oakland worked every at bat against our relievers so it could be tough for him to hold that. In his last outing against Houston, Lynn went 5.2 innings and gave up 10 runs. That was going to be a tight game no matter what, an elimination game everything gets pushed, and Oakland had way more playoff experience than us.

It doesn't get to game 3 if they had Lynn.  

Tomoyuki Sugano finally bullies the Yomiuri Giants into posting him, on the backs of an undefeated Sawamura Award season and a Japan Series championship.

His gaudy numbers make people compare him to Masahiro Tanaka.

Scouts of teams that do well in Japan know that he is, in fact, NOT Masahiro Tanaka, and they let other teams bid him up instead.

The White Sox, who are are always eager to pay medium money for what the fans perceive to big a superstar, and who never think twice when no one around them seems to be seeing the same thing as they do, end up getting him.

And he ends up being a solid #3 command and control guy, which is fine at what they paid. If he learns that he won't get away with high breaking balls in the States.

4 hours ago, fathom said:

First transaction:  trade for Benintendi

Crazy trade scenario:  trade Vaughn and Stiever for top of rotation arm and sign Nelson Cruz for DH

Biggest signing:  Stroman

2021 closer:  Heuer

Bauer 2021 team:  Cardinals

Stroman, Benintendi, and Cruz would be a much better offseason than I'm expecting.

I'll go:

First transaction: Declining options on Encarnacion/Gonzalez, non-tendering Rodon/Mazara etc.

Crazy trade scenario:  trade Cease, Madrigal, and Stiever for Syndergaard (rental), Conforto (rental), and Seth Lugo (not expecting this exactly but Cease+ to the Mets wouldn't shock me)

Biggest signing: La Stella

2021 closer:  Heuer

Bauer 2021 team:  Mets

55 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I saw very little from Stiever that made me think he’s someone you desperately hold on to.