The effectiveness of Don Cooper

kitekrazy

3 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:
Discuss. I think he survives on the success of more than a decade ago. I'm not sure he is effective anymore. Sometimes a change to make a change may be necessary. If it were like the NFL or NBA he would not have lasted this long.

I am totally off the Cooper train.  Can't think of a single fix that can be attributed to Coop in the last ten years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

I am totally off the Cooper train.  Can't think of a single fix that can be attributed to Coop in the last ten years.

That bullpen performed pretty darn well this year given all the youth.

By including 10 years you included Quintana.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

If Coop isn’t the White Sox pitching coach, Curt Hassler will be. RH has already stated that a couple of years ago. There is zero chance they fire him. 

He sounds like a fucking neanderthal.

https://takeoutyourscorecards.wordpress.com/2018/12/05/white-sox-bullpen-coach-hasler-hands-out-advice-on-pitching-mechanics/

Buer has already proven that pitching all offseason really has jack shit to do with injury risk.  In general the Sox' coaching is an overall detriment, not a positive.  The players that succeed do it because they have the IQ and ability to improve.  This has been proven over and over again when they try and bring in players that have a "flaw" they think they can fix.  See Mazara for the latest example.

Cease, Lopez, and Dunning have not progressed as hoped for and Herrera did not perform at all.  Injuries to Pitchers such as Rodon, Crochet, Ketuchel, Lambert, Hamilton, and Bummer are concerning.  None of this perhaps is Cooper's fault but neither does it provide cover for his performance of late.

I honestly don't know how good or bad Cooper is. However, one assessment the FO has to do this off-season is to look at the manager and the coaching staff. Keeping someone just for the sake of keeping him doesn't make sense. If the FO really thinks Cooper is good and will help complete the rebuild, that at least has some logic. But giving a person a job like this for life doesn't make sense otherwise.

Any fan with an opinion on Cooper should have zero ears listening to that opinion.  It means jack shit.  

Only the front office, coaching staff and players know anything.  

If he’s still here it’s because the whole of the front office believes in whatever he is saying/teaching.  If they didn’t, he would be gone.  

I had an 80+ yr old hand surgeon reconnect tendons I cut through on a few different occasions.  I didn’t even go to the ER the second time and just went to his office.  He was perfect and the best doctor I’ve ever had to this day.   Hand surgery didn’t “pass him by” in his 60s.  

I know this is anecdotal but that’s all the news is nowadays. Anecdotal= rampantly applicable/happening everywhere.  

3 hours ago, Jerksticks said:

Any fan with an opinion on Cooper should have zero ears listening to that opinion.  It means jack shit.  

Only the front office, coaching staff and players know anything.  

If he’s still here it’s because the whole of the front office believes in whatever he is saying/teaching.  If they didn’t, he would be gone.  

I had an 80+ yr old hand surgeon reconnect tendons I cut through on a few different occasions.  I didn’t even go to the ER the second time and just went to his office.  He was perfect and the best doctor I’ve ever had to this day.   Hand surgery didn’t “pass him by” in his 60s.  

I know this is anecdotal but that’s all the news is nowadays. Anecdotal= rampantly applicable/happening everywhere.  

This isn't an age thing really. On average younger coaches are more receptive to modern stuff but some guys stop learning at 50 and some like Jerry Weinstein are still cutting edge well into their 70s because they are still curious.

The White Sox are already on record they are never going to fire Coop. He will retire some day, maybe soon, but I doubt it will be before they have a couple more seasons where they should be good, unless his health goes to pot. And Hassler is his replacement. It has already been determined. So if you think the Sox are going to fire Coop and replace him with some 35 year old guy who is all about spin rate, you don’t read what they have already told you.

No one is being let go this year.

Can anyone on here seriously tell me that if you were told the Sox would finish the season with a .583 record with:

How many rookies or 2nd yr starters?

No Kopech

A down year from Moncada

that you would have assumed RR/Coop would lose their jobs? Now, IMO they did this despite of them not bc of them..... but I would be shocked if anyone is let go after an overall successful year. However, 2021 will be different. We now have expectations after a good year and should see improvement from players. If they dont get it done (deep into the play-offs) RR will be gone (is he only signed through 2021? they would simply not resign him vs firing him).