McCann

reiks12

6 hours ago, ejm3 said:

I might be in the minority on this and maybe get ripped for saying this, but I would keep McCann and trade Grandal. There are a significant number of teams that adding Grandal to their team would be an upgrade. I think McCann is as good of a catcher defensively as Grandal. Plus I don't think Grandal calls the pitch selection as well either for the pitchers. McCann has proven now for two years in a row that he is a sold contact hitter with some good power. The fact is, Grandall had 8 HR's in 46 games and 161 AB's, as opposed to McCann having 7 HR's in only 31 games and 97 AB's. Do the math...no comparison! More importantly, McCann is a much better contact hitter and hits for a far better batting average. McCann hit .289 vs Grandall at .230. Finally, since we need another starter or maybe a productive right fielder, Grandall would bring in that RF we need, or that starting pitcher or perhaps some excellent prospects to help continue this rebuild and keep it going for future years. 

What about Grandal? How does he compare to Grandall and McCann?

I think letting the zMcCann thing go for now is a good idea.

Let's see what the Sox actually do with McCann and then comment.

As to Vaughn, let's stop projecting him at 1B or in the outfield until we see him play more next Spring.

Did I see him run? Yes, he scored from first on a gapper. Did you see that?  The Sox bench were laughing their asses off.

Edited by tray
  • Haha 1

On 10/3/2020 at 2:46 PM, Balta1701 said:

If you're giving an argument for why McCann is a better player than Grandal, why would another team trade for Grandal rather than signing McCann for more money?

You wouldnt trade Grandal until you officially sign and secure McCann to a contract and  take him off the market. Then you trade Grandal because McCann isn't available. My only point here is it would be nice to have both catchers, but not financially wise to keep both.  Even when we had both, McCann sat on the bench too much. 

21 minutes ago, ejm3 said:

You wouldnt trade Grandal until you officially sign and secure McCann to a contract and  take him off the market. Then you trade Grandal because McCann isn't available. My only point here is it would be nice to have both catchers, but not financially wise to keep both.  Even when we had both, McCann sat on the bench too much. 

Grandall is owed $18+m a year for the next three years who is going to trade for that contract?  #2, they can still offer McCann a fraction of that total and sign him.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Grandall is owed $18+m a year for the next three years who is going to trade for that contract?  #2, they can still offer McCann a fraction of that total and sign him.

if you read enough baseball writers and websites, Grandal is considered one of the top catchers in baseball. Before the season, the MLB network rated him #1. If a team doesn't have a catcher and they are a potential playoff contender for next year, I'm sure they would trade for him. Plus 18 million isn't going to destroy anyone's payroll if you have no catcher and need one badly. Btw, take a look at the Cleveland catchers, (Roberto Perez - .165, Sandy Leon - .136, Beau Taylor - .048). That seems like one good playoff contender who need some hitting. I'm not even saying we have to get a lot back for Grandal, just something fair. My only point was from the start was we can't keep both catchers and I think McCann is better. 

8 minutes ago, ejm3 said:

if you read enough baseball writers and websites, Grandal is considered one of the top catchers in baseball. Before the season, the MLB network rated him #1. If a team doesn't have a catcher and they are a potential playoff contender for next year, I'm sure they would trade for him. Plus 18 million isn't going to destroy anyone's payroll if you have no catcher and need one badly. Btw, take a look at the Cleveland catchers, (Roberto Perez - .165, Sandy Leon - .136, Beau Taylor - .048). That seems like one good playoff contender who need some hitting. I'm not even saying we have to get a lot back for Grandal, just something fair. My only point was from the start was we can't keep both catchers and I think McCann is better. 

So if he is one of the top catchers in Baseball...why would we trade him? 

Edited by RibbieRubarb
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, ejm3 said:

No one else was willing to bid this for him last year when there were zero economic problems.  What makes you think that now that teams are losing hundreds of millions of dollars, in gate and TV money, that they will now be willing to pay it?  You use the Indians as an example, but they were cutting money left and right over the last year, even before Covid.  That is only going to accelerate now.

2 minutes ago, RibbieRubarb said:

I didn't say I thought he was one of the best. Look at the numbers, which catcher had a better offensive season?  If he is actually viewed that way by others, that's even better, maybe we can get more for him.

1 minute ago, ejm3 said:

I didn't say I thought he was one of the best. Look at the numbers, which catcher had a better offensive season?  If he is actually viewed that way by others, that's even better, maybe we can get more for him.

To my point. WHY would we trade him?

To my point. WHY would we trade him?

I guess you haven't looked at the numbers! Grandal - 8 HR's in 46 games 161ab's, .230 avg vs McCann - 7 HR's 31 games, 97 ab's and .289 avg.  For me if I can sign McCann and trade Grandal, that is my wish. Defensively McCann is just as good too.

17 minutes ago, ejm3 said:

I guess you haven't looked at the numbers! Grandal - 8 HR's in 46 games 161ab's, .230 avg vs McCann - 7 HR's 31 games, 97 ab's and .289 avg.  For me if I can sign McCann and trade Grandal, that is my wish. Defensively McCann is just as good too.

Grandal fWAR 1.7 McCann 1.5.  Granted Grandal played a decent amount more, but when you take pitch framing and catching D into account, it was more even than I realized.  The numbers also look way different if you start looking at something other than a pandemic shortened season.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Grandal fWAR 1.7 McCann 1.5.  Granted Grandal played a decent amount more, but when you take pitch framing and catching D into account, it was more even than I realized.  The numbers also look way different if you start looking at something other than a pandemic shortened season.

It's too late. He already packed his bags and left because people were too harsh on his big brain ideas. 

24 minutes ago, ejm3 said:

Look past home runs, average and runs batted in. You’ll become a more knowledgeable fan if you do. There’s a lot more to the game. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ejm3 said:

WHat iS Numburs?

• Haha 1