Sox should replace Renteria with Ozzie Guillen

VAfan

On 10/6/2020 at 8:28 PM, AJ'S Cousin said:

As long as KW is around he will overrule RH on hiring Ozzie, He will not manage. Should RR be fired?? Of course, but who's available? Only Ozzie?? I doubt it. If there isn't a suitable replacement that is affordable, JR will stick with RR for one more year. He's not going to pay 2 managers. RR F***ed game 3 by pulling Dunning in the 1st inning. Maybe he would of got out of it, maybe not. It was worth 1 more batter to see if he could, probably. Cease and Dunning could develop in Number 5's, but need at least a half season in the minors i believe. Rodon may be done or become a bullpen guy, released or traded. Would he take a stint in the minors to start the season to work things out?? I don't know. Kopech also may need a month or 2 in the minors if he doesn't perform well in Spring Training as Crochet may need time in minors to get stretched out. We need a REAL # 3 behind Gio and Dallas 1st. RR is Doug Collins and will get switched out fired when we find our Phil Jackson. 

Apparently you did not watch much playoff baseball.  San Diego won a 3 game series in which they let their starters go a total of 6 innings.  NY pulled a starter after 1 inning of work and 1 run allowed.  

13 hours ago, greg775 said:

I worship Ozzie but this shouldn't be discussed. Waste of time. He has opened his mouth way too many times and he dug his own grave so to speak in baseball. He loves being interviewed and having the power of being a manager (at least pre COVID when fans were in the park). His stances on issues might cause immediate protests. Castro stuff; didn't he offend some different groups of peeps?       Sox can't take that chance of picketing, riots, etc., because of Ozzie when a TON of other capable managers are available out there. Just pick the right one. Sox need to resist the tempation of picking former Sox with no experience. I could see them picking Thome or AJP and that would be dumb. In conclusion, I'd love for Ozzie to be manager but it won't happen so why discuss it?

One word reason for Ozzie's success in 2005 and failure a year later: Bullpen.  Gimme that bullpen and I'll manage for free and be a genius too.

57 minutes ago, tray said:

I would like to see JR secretly interview Theo to see if he would be interested in taking KW's gig .

Then Theo could fire Renteria and replace him,  again..

Theo would never take the Sox job and he wouldn't be a great fit IMO. Epstein is great at what he does but I'm not convinced he can operate without a $200 million payroll 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Theo would never take the Sox job and he wouldn't be a great fit IMO. Epstein is great at what he does but I'm not convinced he can operate without a $200 million payroll 

I agree that we won't see Theo here, but the second part he has already dispelled.  His best work with the Cubs was before he really started spending money.  Heyward was a disaster, the Darvish deal only yielded about half of the 2019 season and the shortened 60 game 2020 season as a quality result, and both the Chatwood and Kimbrel signings were terrible.  His work overseeing the drafts has been great, even though he missed on pitching (he still gets credit for drafting and partially developing Cease).

Edited by YourWhatHurts

2 hours ago, YourWhatHurts said:

I agree that we won't see Theo here, but the second part he has already dispelled.  His best work with the Cubs was before he really started spending money.  Heyward was a disaster, the Darvish deal only yielded about half of the 2019 season and the shortened 60 game 2020 season as a quality result, and both the Chatwood and Kimbrel signings were terrible.  His work overseeing the drafts has been great, even though he missed on pitching (he still gets credit for drafting and partially developing Cease).

You might want to look more closely at the Cubs drafts. Also, they spent on Lester, Zobrist and Lackey for that World Series team. Reinsdorf doing that? I have my doubts there. 

6 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

You might want to look more closely at the Cubs drafts. Also, they spent on Lester, Zobrist and Lackey for that World Series team. Reinsdorf doing that? I have my doubts there. 

I should have said draft and international FA as I was thinking about the farm system, but you really cannot knock the number of excellent players that have come out of that organization under Theo.  Teams don't rebuild to find league average players or pieces of the puzzle, they rebuild to find key cogs.  And even though they traded some of them, they got and/or developed Baez, Bryant, Rizzo for Cashner, Contreras, Eloy & Gleyber Torres and they're all huge pieces, and then Schwarber still has a ton of hitting ability and Cease has an ace ceiling.  For a guy who didn't have a Sale, Q or Eaton to trade, much less all 3, that's pretty excellent no matter how you slice it.  If you have the key cogs, you can always pick up the spare parts to contend.

21 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Apparently you did not watch much playoff baseball.  San Diego won a 3 game series in which they let their starters go a total of 6 innings.  NY pulled a starter after 1 inning of work and 1 run allowed.  

What you bolded is insane. I have no idea how pulling Dunning lost the game and those saying it can't explain why . In order to think that you would need a crystal ball. Apparently if Dunning was left in Crochet doesn't get taken out ? If Dunning was left in the guys after Bummer don't walk 7 guys  and give up 5 hits and 6 runs in 3.2 innings ? If Dunning was left in do the Sox get key hits in 2 bases loaded 2 out situations in the 2nd and 7th innings  or do better than 3 for 14 with RISP ?

In the 2 losses the Sox were 3 for 22 with RISP . We missed Eloy.

Also 2 postseason roster moves backfired. Leury and Rodon gave the Sox nothing. Would Lopez or Detwiler have been any better ? Mendick ? McRae ? Flores ?

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

On 10/10/2020 at 2:04 AM, greg775 said:

The Dybber's baserunning cost the Sox a spot in the WS IMO. If Sox win that game, Hoyt comes back Sunday and wraps up the AL title. Yes I'm mad about that. So should be Britt Burns.

Let it go, Greg. As bad as Dybber's baserunning was, that alone didn't cost the Sox the World Series. Greg Luzinski certainly didn't help in that game. In five appearances, he never put the ball in fair territory. He struck out three times and fouled out twice. A long one from him during the first nine innings gives the Sox the win. And the Dybber was on third base with two out in the ninth when Rudy Law struck out.

As far as the pitching situation in the playoffs, we can debate about Renteria all we want. The fact is the Sox didn't have a passable third starter. Or fourth or fifth. They need to do something about that.

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

What you bolded is insane. I have no idea how pulling Dunning lost the game and those saying it can't explain why . In order to think that you would need a crystal ball. Apparently if Dunning was left in Crochet doesn't get taken out ? If Dunning was left in the guys after Bummer don't walk 7 guys  and give up 5 hits and 6 runs in 3.2 innings ? If Dunning was left in do the Sox get key hits in 2 bases loaded 2 out situations in the 2nd and 7th innings  or do better than 3 for 14 with RISP ?

In the 2 losses the Sox were 3 for 22 with RISP . We missed Eloy.

Also 2 postseason roster moves backfired. Leury and Rodon gave the Sox nothing. Would Lopez or Detwiler have been any better ? Mendick ? McRae ? Flores ?

Yeah, I think in terms of what did us in this series, being 1 SP short, and RISP hitting were by far the two biggest issues.  Then we can talk about a couple of relievers not being ready for playoff baseball.  The strategy is valid, even if it failed here.  We are seeing other teams use it very successfully in this very playoff.