An honest question about Vaughn

jaws7575

I was wondering if Vaugh  can he play right field?  Has he played in the outfield ever? If the best thing happens next year and he makes the team the DH spot would be a bad idea. The current first basemen really doe not not like being a DH. I think he does a good job at first base.  It will be interesting to see how that hopefully shakes out next spring training and regular season

Of course he can play RF, I can play ST too:).

I think Vaughn has the instincts to not embarrass himself in RF but longenhagen says he is a 30 grade runner which is a slow even for a 1b, I.e he likely is slower than Jose and maybe even EE.

I think what he could do is play 5 or 6 games a year in RF  but you don't want to play him 80 plus games in the OF, especially with eloy in the OF.

The most likely answer is no based on his speed or lack of it. Speed makes up for a lot of issues in the OF .It's hard enough to play OF getting good reads, taking good routes, being able to come in just as good as you can go back, being communicative and avoiding collisions with INF and OF's, how to think ahead of time when RHH and LHH are at the plate and how the ball slices from each one, how to set up for a throw and other details that I haven't mentioned.

It would be like putting Konerko in RF. You might be able to get away with it for a game or 2, but eventually it is going to hurt you really bad. 

This guy hits a lot, and plays 1B decently. He is also something the Sox don’t have a lot of, a selective hitter. They do need another lefty for sure. Don’t mess with him.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, jaws7575 said:

I was worried he might be to slow but where does he play then? we currently have a pretty good first basemen who does not enjoy being a dh. I am curious how that will play out.

He plays DH until Jose's contract is over or Jose retires (or becomes to old to play 1b and moves to DH) 

I kinda hate this question, because I like Madrigal and think Moncada should stay put, but didn't the Sox play Vaughn at 3B a bit in ST? Could the logic be Vaughn at 3B with Moncada moving back to 2B.

Maybe move Timmy to RF and Madrigal to SS? 

That's A LOT of shuffling but it seems possible.  In the end though, now that I think about it, that only makes since if McCann is brought back or they insist on keeping EE at DH. 

Do teams ever really do such wholesale changes?  

3 minutes ago, scs787 said:

I kinda hate this question, because I like Madrigal and think Moncada should stay put, but didn't the Sox play Vaughn at 3B a bit in ST? Could the logic be Vaughn at 3B with Moncada moving back to 2B.

That's A LOT of shuffling but it seems possible.  In the end though, now that I think about it, that only makes since if McCann is brought back or they insist on keeping EE at DH. 

Yuck... that would make defense worse at every one of those positions. 

8 minutes ago, scs787 said:

I don't think we would see that full-time but maybe once in a while we see Vaughn at 3B? That's only if he is the "regular DH" next year meaning Abreu still gets most of the starts at 1B.

14 minutes ago, scs787 said:

I don't think Madrigals arm plays at MLB SS.  I wasn't really impressed with it so far.  He is clearly limited to 2B and maybe as a back up at SS if needed.

11 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I don't think we would see that full-time but maybe once in a while we see Vaughn at 3B? That's only if he is the "regular DH" next year meaning Abreu still gets most of the starts at 1B.

I think once a while at 3b or lf would be OK but you also have to consider the effect on the pitchers, I guess pitchers would be pretty pissed if you played players out of position regularly especially if it is more than one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scs787 said:

Dusty's Dugout Dice - Wiklifield, a Chicago Cubs wiki

• Haha 1

On 10/3/2020 at 10:25 PM, jaws7575 said:

I was wondering if Vaugh  can he play right field?  Has he played in the outfield ever? If the best thing happens next year and he makes the team the DH spot would be a bad idea. The current first basemen really doe not not like being a DH. I think he does a good job at first base.  It will be interesting to see how that hopefully shakes out next spring training and regular season

Highly unlikely that Vaughn could hold up and play passable defense in the major leagues at RF

He simply does not have enough speed per scouting reports and would be a liability out there 

I love Abreu and understand his aversion to the DH, but the right thing for the team in the short and long term is to agree to a 50% job share. Everyone has got to make adjustments in their game as they age (including learning to be comfortable with different routines), and the sooner he learns to do it, the longer his career can be.

• Like 2

I never understood the need to draft a 1st basemen. This organization seems to only produce guys that have defensive weaknesses so let's make them a 1B/DH .  The world doesn't end if they keep Eloy in RF as long as there is a defense replacement in later innings.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

I never understood the need to draft a 1st basemen. This organization seems to only produce guys that have defensive weaknesses so let's make them a 1B/DH .  The world doesn't end if they keep Eloy in RF as long as there is a defense replacement in later innings.  

There wasn't a need. They were drafting BPA.

• Like 2

I'm OK with Vaughn as he was hitting so well that his ceiling is basically Paul goldschmidt. Bigger problem is the other fringe athletes they drafted in burger and Collins. 

It seems like the front office loves to stretch good bats into tougher positions, hence the Collins and burger drafts and the attempts to play Vaughn out of position (and getting EE instead of just DHing Eloy). 

If it works it strengthens the offense but it is a fine line until you totally blow up your defense. The Phillies failed with that big time a couple years ago when they tried Hoskins in the outfield and the team was like minus 100 runs defensively. 

• Like 1

Agree with Dominikk.

Getz thinks he can play 1st base:

"Andrew hits the ball from pole to pole, consistently has good, quality at-bats, works deep counts and always squares up pitches," Chicago farm director Chris Getz said. "He's a combination of hitting and power. There wasn't too much of a focus on things he needed to improve offensively at the alternative site. It was more a focus of facing upper-level quality pitching and on a daily basis. We moved him around from first base to third base to the outfield to build some athleticism and keep his feet moving. At the end of the day, it's more about the bat and just finding a home for him. He can play first base."

Vaughn might win a spot on the roster during Spring Training