MLB teams who are most likely to be sellers this Winter

southsider2k5

With the pandemic taking a huge hole out of the revenues of professional sports. it is worth a mental exercise to expect there to be some pretty significant sellers this winter.  Some had been trying to sell before, such as Cleveland, and others have been mentioned like Texas.  It is also worth mentioning a team like the Cubs who has a TON of debt and debt payments and coming off of a year where their core didn't perform and are looking to make some changes.

So who will be selling off parts?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Link to the Rangers part of the story

Living in Dallas, all I hear is them selling and they don't even have that much to sell. Lynn, Andrus, Gallo...

BTW... that new ballpark is awesome.

Edited by RibbieRubarb

I would hope the mets decide to sell, but got a feeling they look at their team and think with syndegaard back they can make some noise.

would be interesting if the reds decided to sell.  They have some nice pitching, but their offense sucks.  With bauer walking already do they decide to see what gray and castillo could fetch?

rockies and dbacks should sell.  Those are two teams without a path towards contention.  Would be curious what marquez or gallen would cost.

indians will sell, but not likely to us.  Rangers seem to overvalue their players, and the only two worth trading for are lynn and gallo.  Orioles and red sox should rebuild/retool.  Austin hays, anthony santander, and benitendi could be interesting trade options.

Edited by ChiSox1917

1 hour ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Cubs will be sellers.. They just have to be.

Cubs are going to be in a weird flux this off-season into next year. All of their FAs are up in '21 so they could look to make a final push with this team. But Theo also said something to the effect of "we've tried with this team, can't keep sending the same guys out there to the same effect, big moves could be made" (paraphrasing, believe it was from a DVS article). 

On top of that, Theo is already talking exit strategy and might abandon ship early. Maybe the Phillies see each opportunity to poach him.

All in all, being a cubs fan this year might suck, beyond the normal reasons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

With the pandemic taking a huge hole out of the revenues of professional sports. it is worth a mental exercise to expect there to be some pretty significant sellers this winter.  Some had been trying to sell before, such as Cleveland, and others have been mentioned like Texas.  It is also worth mentioning a team like the Cubs who has a TON of debt and debt payments and coming off of a year where their core didn't perform and are looking to make some changes.

So who will be selling off parts?

How much?  Is it on the order of $40 million, or $400 million.  The stuff I looked up is old news.  I'm not sure of the severity of Cubs dilemma.

48 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

I feel nobody will be buying so it doesnt matter. I think we see trades that offset one another.

^^^^^

I doubt we see much movement in trading salary unless it's pretty close dollar wise, like within a million or two dollars. 

Free agents are going to be in for a rude awakening. There are going to be a lot of short term deals thrown around, and it wouldn't surprise me if decent players ended up unsigned on OD 2021. 

12 hours ago, ChiSox1917 said:

I would hope the mets decide to sell, but got a feeling they look at their team and think with syndegaard back they can make some noise.

would be interesting if the reds decided to sell.  They have some nice pitching, but their offense sucks.  With bauer walking already do they decide to see what gray and castillo could fetch?

rockies and dbacks should sell.  Those are two teams without a path towards contention.  Would be curious what marquez or gallen would cost.

indians will sell, but not likely to us.  Rangers seem to overvalue their players, and the only two worth trading for are lynn and gallo.  Orioles and red sox should rebuild/retool.  Austin hays, anthony santander, and benitendi could be interesting trade options.

The Mets have a new owner, he won't dare to sell his first year. Maybe at the deadline if they have another bad start to the season. 

7 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

The cubs need to sell some parts but they are selling low so that is a bad idea.......never underestimate the stupidity of a nervous MLB GM

If some of their guys had more years of control, id be willing to buy low on some of them.  But their main 4 guys only have one year left.  Im not giving up much for any of them at this point.  

if we’re going to buy low on a guy, at least benitendi has 2 years left.

• knightni changed the title to MLB teams who are most likely to be sellers this Winter