White Sox roster move speculation

southsider2k5

I am as big of Rodon fan as there is on this board, but unless he will sign for next to nothing, it’s time to move on. I’ve tried looking the other way too long. It is crazy to think he suddenly is going to be healthy and throwing strikes for a full outing, let alone a season.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Rodon is going to get a major league deal from someone.

I think you are in for a rude awakening with not just Rodon but at the rude awakening every FA and every guy there is a question about non tendering on every team. The market is going to be flooded with players . Teams will be looking to cut expenses everywhere.

Everyone on the Sox that can be non tendered will be non tendered. I used to think Leury would survive it but not any more. The more players on the market the cheaper you can sign them for . I wouldn't expect much to happen til February. It's going to be a long ,long, long off season for those expecting moves. Baseball and the owners have lost a lot of money. You can believe that or not because it won't matter. They are going to act like they lost a ton of money. It won't be collusion though I'm sure that word will be tossed around a lot.

That's just what Covid created and could and probably will create again in 2021. There's going to be a lot of minor league deals and 1 year contracts and for a lot less than we or the players suspect . Unless there is a miracle cure coming soon we may be looking at another abbreviated season which means even more losses for owners.

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I think you are in for a rude awakening with not just Rodon but at the rude awakening every FA and every guy there is a question about non tendering on every team. The market is going to be flooded with players . Teams will be looking to cut expenses everywhere.

Everyone on the Sox that can be non tendered will be non tendered. I used to think Leury would survive it but not any more. The more players on the market the cheaper you can sign them for . I wouldn't expect much to happen til February. It's going to be a long ,long, long off season for those expecting moves. Baseball and the owners have lost a lot of money. You can believe that or not because it won't matter. They are going to act like they lost a ton of money. It won't be collusion though I'm sure that word will be tossed around a lot.

That's just what Covid created and could and probably will create again in 2021. There's going to be a lot of minor league deals and 1 year contracts and for a lot less than we or the players suspect . Unless there is a miracle cure coming soon we may be looking at another abbreviated season which means even more losses for owners.

You actually think a rebuilding team won’t offer Rodon a guaranteed 1/$1M contract?

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Nope . Why give him a $1M when a minor league deal is for a lot less ? What has he done to deserve $1M ?

Be a young left-handed pitcher who throws hard and has an elite slider?  That’s easily worth a $1M to a rebuilding club who already has a low payroll.

32 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Be a young left-handed pitcher who throws hard and has an elite slider?  That’s easily worth a $1M to a rebuilding club who already has a low payroll.

We'll see, but no one should think he can still start. He's a walking injury with control issues. A slider isn't elite unless you can throw strikes with your fastball and slider when needed. Throwing it at someones back foot works if you can throw strikes and get ahead of hitters.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

We'll see, but no one should think he can still start. He's a walking injury with control issues. A slider isn't elite unless you can throw strikes with your fastball and slider when needed. Throwing it at someones back foot works if you can throw strikes and get ahead of hitters.

Plenty of teams would take a chance on him for 3-5 million as a starter.  Someone like the Brewers would love the chance at fixing him.

9 hours ago, fathom said:

Plenty of teams would take a chance on him for 3-5 million as a starter.  Someone like the Brewers would love the chance at fixing him.

I agree.  While COVID economics will certainly be in play next season especially for teams that rely on gate receipts.  Is Carl better than a middle reliever at this point? 

I think the Sox give him the $6M.

16 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I am as big of Rodon fan as there is on this board, but unless he will sign for next to nothing, it’s time to move on. I’ve tried looking the other way too long. It is crazy to think he suddenly is going to be healthy and throwing strikes for a full outing, let alone a season.

Same boat. I'm cheering for him and would love to see him succeed on the South Side, just don't see it happening. I think he'll benefit from a new pitching coach, a new place, etc. and hopefully can get his career on track. Unfortunately not likely to be with the Sox. I personally would bring him back for $5mm and stick him at the back of the rotation for one last try, but totally get not doing it.