Sox Press Conference - 11am 10/12 - RR out as Sox manager

southsider2k5

13 minutes ago, Tony said:

I can't believe it. What a move by the White Sox. 

Thank you. Seriously. Go out and get a real manager, lets do this thing

Man, Rick Hahn has this team on a timeline. Ricky blew it with that end of season collapse.

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

Jirschele or Sandy is my guess

I figured Ricky would get one more season and Jirschele would get one more season in Charlotte. Now I expect Jirschele to be the likely bench coach for someone like Alomar.

10 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

My opinion of RR as a manager has come to fruition! RR is a nice guy but not the right manager to lead the team to championships. 

I agree but still feel bad for him. Maybe they stick him upstairs in some capacity. We need to nail the next hire. 

So incredibly happy to see this.  Beyond an inevitable improvement in in-game moves, lineups, etc., this also tells us that Hahn has JR's ear and is following his lead.  There was no doubt in my mind that Rick wanted to fire RR as he wouldn't want to put this rebuild, and his own credibility, in the hands of an incompetent manager.  Where I did find doubt was figuring out if JR would go along with the plan.  Well, he is....which bodes VERY well for any moves Hahn may want to make this offseason.  JR is all in.

1 minute ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

I’ve heard the critics against an Alomar move, albeit in a smaller role he made some questionable decisions in filling in for Francona. I don’t know if he’s the answer, plus the Sox interviewed him once already 

I don't know about Sandy. We NEED a guy that has been there before to be honest. Our talent speaks for itself, so we just need a manager that can relate to our guys and make smart in game decisions. 

• Like 3

Just now, Lonchair said:

I agree but still feel bad for him. Maybe they stick him upstairs in some capacity. We need to nail the next hire. 

While I don't see it right away, I could 100% see him being brought back in the future as a guy the Sox bring aboard to help Latino minor leaguers get adjusted to the US.

I think we all knew when he was hired that this situation might come to fruition, I take it as a good thing. The team is ready to make the next step, it's an attractive job and plenty of good/great managers should be interested.

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I don't know about Sandy. We NEED a guy that has been there before to be honest. Our talent speaks for itself, so we just need a manager that can relate to our guys and make smart in game decisions. 

Which is why I don't think it will be someone without managerial experience/success. Sandy at least has some experience and success this year. Also is Francona's bench coach.

I'm also biased towards former catchers.

Edited by soxfan2014
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

Reading the comments and thinking about this, I think this is right.  Why fire a guy making rookie mistakes in the playoffs, only to bring in a person with less experience?  You almost have to be looking at a veteran, otherwise, why fire Ricky?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As I have been saying for years, his bullpen management was always questionable at best, dating back to the Cubs days. As far as running the game goes, it's probably the biggest part of the job. The other stuff, he was really good. The players seemed to love him, but Rodon with the bases loaded for the first time in 2 months. Ruiz in a big time situation, and then get someone loose the first hit your starter gives up in game 3? I thought winning as many games as they did was probably enough to overcome it, but things are changing. 

The thing I don't understand is this is nothing new. Why now?

• Like 2

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Reading the comments and thinking about this, I think this is right.  Why fire a guy making rookie mistakes in the playoffs, only to bring in a person with less experience?  You almost have to be looking at a veteran, otherwise, why fire Ricky?

Cause.....White Sox?

We will see, it'd be nice to see a new, refreshing way to do this.

• knightni changed the title to Sox Press Conference - 11am 10/12 - RR out as Sox manager
  • knightni pinned this topic
  • Tony unpinned this topic