Sox Press Conference - 11am 10/12 - RR out as Sox manager

southsider2k5

Just now, sin city sox fan said:

First call has to be to Ozzie.   Time to bring back the magic!   2021 is going to be awesome!

Still, hell no.  This would be the worst of all of the possible moves here.  I would have rather brought Ricky back.  Hell I would rather stick Hawk on the bench than Ozzie.

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The other thing I just thought  of from the wording, if they "agreed to part ways", I think that means the Sox are not on the hook for paying Ricky for the last year of his deal.  Or at the very least, he got a reduced buy-out.

I think it was just a nice way of saying the potential manager of the year has been fired. JR will pay him his money. He didn't make so much.

It's either that or the Sox said for him to continue, someone else will be running the bullpen, and he didn't want that.

Edited by Dick Allen

10 minutes ago, mqr said:

I would bet the house on it being Alomar

I'd be pleased with either Alomar or Francona.

My preference would be Alomar.

But whatever they do, Reinsdorf is going to have to allow the next mgr to hire his own staff - especially the pitching coach.

I can"t see anyone on the outside coming in here and desiring to retain Cooper.

They need a clean sweep like they finally and mercifully did on the West Side.

Edited by GradMc
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Well, I think we can all agree that this is a very new way that this front office is treating things.  Refreshing

This is definitely an acknowledgement this is the window and every year matters. Will it translate to offseason spending?

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The other thing I just thought  of from the wording, if they "agreed to part ways", I think that means the Sox are not on the hook for paying Ricky for the last year of his deal.  Or at the very least, he got a reduced buy-out.

I think its just a nicer way of saying he was fired personally. That's it.

45 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Let's be realistic, JR, who has kept people like Boylen & Ventura around way too long, a guy who has an extreme track record of being loyal (I mean, KW still has his job) is not going to fire the manager who led the Sox to the playoffs for the first time in a dozen years -- in a year where expectations were 82-88 wins  (albeit 162 game season) and we had a top record in AL for a hot second. If you think that's the presser today? no way. 

I think it's much more likely to be Hahn lawyer talk. The biggest news we'll get is Hahn saying we're not spending because of Covid. That we won't be aggressive. There is a better likelihood the Sox open with Mazara in RF and with Quintana/some other inning filler in our rotation, ricky at the helm than with a new manager, bauer, and a shiny new RF toy. I'm not sure where the optimism comes on this board ... the sox have had the same game plan for decades and this presser is going to be fluff..

I hope i'm wrong on all the above. 

Where is the delete button? 

Okay, lets go get Bauer then and DFA Mazara haha

• knightni changed the title to Sox Press Conference - 11am 10/12 - RR out as Sox manager
  • knightni pinned this topic
  • Tony unpinned this topic