Sox Press Conference - 11am 10/12 - RR out as Sox manager

southsider2k5

On 10/1/2020 at 7:49 PM, gusguyman said:

Massive novel of a defense aside, I still fire RR for how bad he has been in all the other games. My plan would be:

1) Fire RR

2) Tell him to take Capra and Super Joe with him. Menechino stays. Boston can stay too if he wants, I have no strong opinions on him which is exactly what I am looking for in a 1st base coach.

3) Call Coop and tell him you'll miss him, but you understand his decision and the retirement party will be next Friday.

4) Bring up Justin Jirschele for manager, Matt Zaleski for PC, and literally whoever for 3rd base. Maybe just hire some Stanford math whiz with a computer and a LIDAR camera lol.

5) Hire AJ Hinch as bench coach, to give you world series wining experience (specifically taking a rebuilding team across the finish line) to offset the inexperience of the staff, and can also give you whatever last secrets of (legal!) player development the Astros have left. He'll take the job too, since he needs to rehab his image. 

I understand a lot of people will hate (5) which I totally understand. Point is really just to bring in an experienced guy, plenty of good options out there. I think Hinch would be a great fit though if he convinces you in an interview that he isn't a piece of shit.

3 steps down, 2 to go

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

The way the bullpen was run the last week cost 2 jobs.

Which is interesting because a few posters here said the last two weeks of struggles meant nothing. I was very vocal about the struggles down the stretch and knew in my soul that Hahn and Kenny weren't happy. 

• Fire 1

I said this in the last week of the season...the losing streak at the end of the season was a silver lining. It showed the FO just how bad of a manager Ricky was and we still made the playoffs to get that experience for our young guys. In the long run, it was a blessing in disguise. Now we'll be able to re-do our coaching staff and create a new way of thinking going forward. 

• Like 3
  • Fire 1

Just now, chw42 said:

I said this in the last week of the season...the losing streak at the end of the season was a silver lining. It showed the FO just how bad of a manager Ricky was and we still made the playoffs to get that experience for our young guys. In the long run, it was a blessing in disguise. Now we'll be able to re-do our coaching staff and create a new way of thinking going forward. 

yup. that and our young guys either becoming stagnant or going outside the org (Gio) was the nail in the coffin for Ricky/Cooper

• Like 1

Was Cooper change to give new manager a new start?

Any new manager they want to give latitude to give him room for his own guys.  Could be most/all of remaining staff back, but could be still other changes.

Cooper change wasn't to make room for new mgr to make a change.  It was about his individual fit in the organization going forward.

• knightni changed the title to Sox Press Conference - 11am 10/12 - RR out as Sox manager
  • knightni pinned this topic
  • Tony unpinned this topic