Sox Press Conference - 11am 10/12 - RR out as Sox manager

southsider2k5

7 minutes ago, tray said:

Sounded like Hahn reluctantly admitted he would like McCann back.....but at the right  price.  McCann and other guys who are FA now are going to get screwed because the market for them is not going to be what it may have been pre-pandemic. On the other hand, that fact may help the Sox sign McCann, Bauer or other FAs  for a reduced price. 

Assistant GM @Tony is ready to lead negotiations.

The White Sox make the playoffs for the first time in 12 years, and fire their manager for the first time in 17, and their pitching coach for the first time in longer than that. Who could ever have thought of this being a possibility? This is the same owner than wanted to keep Jim Boylen around. 

Ozzie didn't get fired. Robin didn't get fired. 

This is probably one of the most remarkable days in White Sox history.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 2
  • Fire 4

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The White Sox make the playoffs for the first time in 12 years, and fire their manager for the first time in 17, and their pitching coach for the first time in longer than that. Who could ever have thought of this being a possibility? This is the same owner than wanted to keep Jim Boylen around. 

The record is still intact. Remember technically this was "mutual."

1 minute ago, Timmy U said:

The record is still intact. Remember technically this was "mutual."

Technically Ozzie quit,  and Robin's contract expired. Ricky just had his contract terminated. There's a difference. 

Edited by mqr
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

So it looks like the Sox will also be "mutually parting ways" with EE and Mazara. 

I saw someone post about Mazara having COVID? Did I just miss that or were they mistaken and meant Moncada?

2 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I think its Getz or Jerschele. Im with you on those two heading in the direction the sox want.

Why is a player development guy the direction they want to head?  They need a guy who has actually managed games, not someone who will require to learn on the job.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tony said:

X's & O's - he was't very good. Managing the clubhouse and the lockeroom and just the overall team - he was very good.  I always feel the X's and O's is overrated, especially since I assume front office is calling a lot of shots these days and I value people who can command the respect of the team, etc.  Was really surprised Sox made the move - but can appreciate and respect the fact that they are leaving it all out there and making sure they do everything they can.  This move certainly signals that.  

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why is a player development guy the direction they want to head?  They need a guy who has actually managed games, not someone who will require to learn on the job.

With  that post coming before RH laid out what he is looking for, I would say that is pretty clear that the new information precludes guys like that at this time.  Maybe one moves up onto a spot like bench coach, but they really seem happy with what Getz is feeding them through the minors.

This is fantastic news!  I guess I was right that they were at least debating Ricky’s performance and status as our manager. 
Thank you Jerry, Kenny and Hahn for maki the correct and wise decision for the organization and fans.  

It makes sense to move on.  They have a possible champion here and Ricky proved he was in over his head.  He was given his shot fair and square and failed.  I wonder and think it’s probable that if Ricky completely followed the analytics in his lineups and bullpen moves, he would still be the manager.  

He wanted it his way and now his way is showing him out the door.  He might not be given another manager job again.  

The front office put too much effort into building this team to entrust it in the hands of someone like Ricky.  Especially at Jerrys age, who knows when he’ll pass and ownership will change and more than likely front office change over as well.  

Might as well go for it all.  And it’s  nice they rejected Ozzie so those rumors can be put to bed forever.  

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

After Hahn's presser it sounds like they're going to spend some money on a proven guy so clearly neither of these two, but I think the Sox have interest in someone they know will listen and apply their strategic thoughts while not being a huge personality. People with prior relationships to the young guys would be a bonus in my thought process above. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

1 hour ago, zisk said:

Terry Francona: Intelligence, integrity and experience.

If he was available - I guarantee that is who the Sox would hire.  I can't imagine that happens unless Cleveland decides he wants to ink Sandy long term.  Girardi, Hinch, Francona, Cora. Two of those guys aren't available - but I think it would be any of those 4 guys in general.  

1 hour ago, Middle Buffalo said:

Bullpen and batting Robert in the 7 spot every game, not figuring out a rest schedule for Moncada, batting EE 4th or 5th every game,....

The list of mistakes is pretty long.

I’m not usually one to say fire the manager or batting/pitching coach, but RR was pretty bad. With Coop, it was just time.

Batting Robert, the inability to actually rest the bullpen over final week of season (it was so bad - it was like they were trying to win every game by using their horses too much but in odd situations) and more importantly or just as importantly the mismanagement of Yoan Moncada.  

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

What does that mean? That mean he could stay on?  Clearly not as a bench coach, I can't imagine that happening.  

A question was asked if Ricky could be reassigned within the organization.  No specific mention of what the roll might have been/be, but Hahn pretty much said the only thing they talked about was the managerial position, so I don't see any chance of it happening now.

33 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

This is probably one of the most remarkable days in White Sox history.

If you really think about it - both Bulls organization and Sox organization are operating in entirely new frontiers at the moment. Bulls with fully rebuilt front office (including an expensive head coach hire) and now Sox blowing up the MGR and likely looking at hiring an outsider with experience. The big caveat is I don't know if Hinch/Cora will command top dollar or not (due to the scandal they were previously involved in).  I still presume they do - especially Cora who I presume the Red Sox are going to make an aggressive play to get back.  

• Tony unpinned this topic