Sox Press Conference - 11am 10/12 - RR out as Sox manager

southsider2k5

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

A question was asked if Ricky could be reassigned within the organization.  No specific mention of what the roll might have been/be, but Hahn pretty much said the only thing they talked about was the managerial position, so I don't see any chance of it happening now.

Helpful context - thank you;  I was going to say - I would love Ricky as a bench coach - just don't think I could see him doing it right now (a year after being removed).  I don't mind him being involved in the organization though - I think he's a great human being and a good baseball guy. He also isn't a bad manager, but he's not a great manager either.  

1 hour ago, chw42 said:

I said this in the last week of the season...the losing streak at the end of the season was a silver lining. It showed the FO just how bad of a manager Ricky was and we still made the playoffs to get that experience for our young guys. In the long run, it was a blessing in disguise. Now we'll be able to re-do our coaching staff and create a new way of thinking going forward. 

Truer words have never been spoken

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

It is pretty obvious these guys are gone because of the bullpen the last week. RR made some bad decisions and Coop was either on board or didn't speak up.

I’m catching up in real-time here, but there is no doubt in my mind that Cooper has been slow to adapt to analytics / modern pitching practices.  You can only read so many articles that discuss all the things Zaleski & Teaford are doing in the minors before you realize Cooper is well behind the curve.  And most importantly, the lack of development from so many young, talented pitchers simply reaffirms that point.  The bullpen management may have cost Ricky his job, but I think Cooper lost his job due to much bigger issues.

Hahn stated that maybe on 10 years he would no longer be qualified for his job.   He looked rather smug  and self-absorbed in making these announcements.

Meanwhile Hahn  took no responsibility for player personnel decisions including acquiring Mazara and EE, playing them all season,.  and failing to fortify the starting

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SouthWallace said:

Can't help but feel like Cease & ReyLo flopping lead to Coop's exit.

The lack of development is definitely a big reason for the change.  Rodon & Lopez are probably lost causes at this point, but there is still time for Cease to recover but a change was vastly needed.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If you’re Rick Hahn and have gotten worst in league production out of RF two years in a row do you go out and give Mazara another major opportunity?

He pretty much said an upgrade in RF is necessary.  

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Joc makes way too much sense as part of a RF platoon with Engel if you plan to prioritize pitching this offseason.  Can probably be had on a 1/$10M deal or less given the current economic environment.

Michael Brantley is my guy for RF. Joc looking so terrible this year scares the crap out of me for next year.

1 hour ago, chw42 said:

That's gotta be a part of it. I mean, go back and look at how good ReyLo was with the Nationals. And look how badly he's regressed in the 4 years since. That should not happen. 

How many young arms who come up with curveballs as their best secondary pitch end up abandoning when they join the Sox?  That alone should have been a major red flag to Hahn and the player development guys.

• Like 1

Just now, fathom said:

Michael Brantley is my guy for RF. Joc looking so terrible this year scares the crap out of me for next year.

Agreed, why sign Joc to perform worse than Adam against RHP, hes lost a couple steps in the outfield as well.

Brantley or Kim with Moncada moving to RF

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

At least Brantley isn't gonna hit below .200. Joc does seem like another sub .200 hitter waiting to happen if we sign him.

1 minute ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Hahn mentioned that they called TA before making these moves because he is the leader of this team. Does this finally dispell the notion that Abreu is the leader of the team? Timmy is the leader. Period.

Good....now call Timmy back and tell him they are signing Bauer.

2 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Hahn mentioned that they called TA before making these moves because he is the leader of this team. Does this finally dispell the notion that Abreu is the leader of the team? Timmy is the leader. Period.

He said he made calls to several players. TA was the guy who answered. But keep going with your Abreu bit. It never doesn't get old.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, fathom said:

Fathom: Fairly well written article on pros/cons of Astros resigning Brantley. Seems like he is showing signs of regressing especially defensively but maybe the Sox could milk him for another year.

https://www.crawfishboxes.com/2020/9/16/21438348/should-we-re-sign-brantley-houston-astros-mlb-baseball-michael

1 hour ago, gusguyman said:

Good:

✔️ Crotchet 100% healthy

✔️ Ricky is being fired

”Team will be aggressive coming off playoff appearance”

The first two were the ones I really cared about but for 3 we did get some answers in both directions, will be interesting to see what happens this offseason. 

2 1/2 out of three ain’t bad!

25 minutes ago, fathom said:

I’m really not sure Brantley can play a solid RF is the problem, but perhaps I’m wrong.  Either guy makes sense theoretically on a one year deal.  I’d save my big dollars for pitching whether that comes via free agency or a trade.

• Thanks 1

• Tony unpinned this topic