Sox Press Conference - 11am 10/12 - RR out as Sox manager

southsider2k5

20 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Hahn mentioned that they called TA before making these moves because he is the leader of this team. Does this finally dispell the notion that Abreu is the leader of the team? Timmy is the leader. Period.

To be clear, he said he called multiple players with this news today, and that he only got through to TA.  He also kind of didn't answer the part about if he talked to players before the decision was made.

31 minutes ago, fathom said:

Michael Brantley is my guy for RF. Joc looking so terrible this year scares the crap out of me for next year.

Same here.  Brantley is a consistent pro year in and year out.  And he is a different kind of hitter than what we have.  Joc is just more of the same.

I would even be in for putting him as DH and getting an additional RF...but I know the last thing we need is more DHs.

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m really not sure Brantley can play a solid RF is the problem, but perhaps I’m wrong.  Either guy makes sense theoretically on a one year deal.  I’d save my big dollars for pitching whether that comes via free agency or a trade.

With Robert in CF, and Engel on the bench, they really don't need much defense in RF even with Eloy in LF. I would prefer someone a little better with the glove, but if it is Brantley and he hits, I think we will all live with it pretty well..

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

The White Sox make the playoffs for the first time in 12 years, and fire their manager for the first time in 17, and their pitching coach for the first time in longer than that. Who could ever have thought of this being a possibility? This is the same owner than wanted to keep Jim Boylen around. 

Ozzie didn't get fired. Robin didn't get fired. 

This is probably one of the most remarkable days in White Sox history.

DonCooper literally outlasted two, possibly three (world not sure if Kim Jong Un still alive) North Korean Supreme Leaders.

Hope the White Sox will allow any new manager to replace ANY and ALL coaches, at his sole discretion.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

Fathom: Fairly well written article on pros/cons of Astros resigning Brantley. Seems like he is showing signs of regressing especially defensively but maybe the Sox could milk him for another year.

https://www.crawfishboxes.com/2020/9/16/21438348/should-we-re-sign-brantley-houston-astros-mlb-baseball-michael

Thanks for posting. I don’t see anything too alarming there. Brantley wouldn’t be signed to be an All Star. Rather just a tough out against RHP.  He reminds me so much of when Cubs got Zobrist.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

DonCooper literally outlasted two, possibly three (world not sure if Kim Jong Un still alive) North Korean Supreme Leaders.

Hope the White Sox will allow any new manager to replace ANY and ALL coaches, at his sole discretion.

That is the one thing that as much as Hahn tried to spin and as good as he is in spinning it, he couldn't get it done. If he wants the new guy to have the latitude to hire his own staff, why didn't everyone "mutually part ways"? Only Coop. So Coop was clearly fired. There is no other explanation. 

It would have really been something if RH just said, hey you saw what happened in Cleveland and Oakland. They are lucky they weren't pulled out of the dugout mid game.

The one coach Ozzie had to take was Coop. The one coach Ventura had to take was Coop. The one coach RR had to take was Coop. The one coach the new guy doesn't have to take is Coop. 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Love 1

49 minutes ago, tray said:

Hahn stated that maybe on 10 years he would no longer be qualified for his job.   He looked rather smug  and self-absorbed in making these announcements.

Meanwhile Hahn  took no responsibility for player personnel decisions including acquiring Mazara and EE, playing them all season,.  and failing to fortify the starting

To also be clear here, no one asked him that question.  He made a statement on RR, and then took questions.  No one asked him about his responsibility for these things.

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

Thanks for posting. I don’t see anything too alarming there. Brantley wouldn’t be signed to be an All Star. Rather just a tough out against RHP.  He reminds me so much of when Cubs got Zobrist.

I can see that.  Good comparison.

10 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

That is the one thing that as much as Hahn tried to spin and as good as he is in spinning it, he couldn't get it done. If he wants the new guy to have the latitude to hire his own staff, why didn't everyone "mutually part ways"? Only Coop. So Coop was clearly fired. There is no other explanation. 

I’m going to listen to the entire press conference @Buehrle5687 so graciously posted in another thread before commenting further.

However, I’m ok with what I’ve read here, and ok with making a special mention of Cooper due to his tenure and what appears to be the Sox wanting him out of that role, if not complete gone, while still retaining or not publically commenting on the remainder of the staff until the hiring process is complete. A new manager should be able to make his staff at that time, and the club either able to retain or announce the departures of the existing staff still under contract.

I don’t want to see one or more coaches inherited without input, which occurred when Rick Renteria was hired.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

13 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

With Robert in CF, and Engel on the bench, they really don't need much defense in RF even with Eloy in LF. I would prefer someone a little better with the glove, but if it is Brantley and he hits, I think we will all live with it pretty well..

Brantley just scares me a bit.  Declining quality of contact (per StatCast) in his age 33 is a big red flag to me.  Don’t get me wrong, Joc would be a risk given how bad his 2020 season was, but he’s 28 years old, was dealing with some personal last year I believe, and was tremendous against RHP in 2018 & 2019.  At a small dollar amount I’ll take my chances and look for an upgrade at the deadline if it doesn’t work out.

15 minutes ago, fathom said:

His xwOBACON dropped from three straight years in the .370 to .380 range to .330.  Could be a sample size issue, but that’s pretty alarming at his age.

23 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I would expect any high-end manager to insist on having total discretion in his coaching staff.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Bernstein article saying Sox front office was pissed at how many pitches they made Keuchel throw towards end of the year:

https://www.radio.com/670thescore/sports/chicago-white-sox/bernstein-ambitious-white-sox-not-messing-around-let-go-rick-renteria

Didn't one of the baseball writers hint that "veterans" were unhappy with Ricky....Keuchel and Grandal help him out the door?

10 minutes ago, fathom said:

Bernstein article saying Sox front office was pissed at how many pitches they made Keuchel throw towards end of the year:

https://www.radio.com/670thescore/sports/chicago-white-sox/bernstein-ambitious-white-sox-not-messing-around-let-go-rick-renteria

If Ricky didn't blow the second game in Cleveland, maybe Dallas wouldn't have needed to go 6 innings in his last start of the season. The 114 pitches in the Cubs game where we were up by 8 was also extremely unnecessary. And that was just 2 starts before he screwed up his back in KC. 

• Like 1

• Tony unpinned this topic