Sox Press Conference - 11am 10/12 - RR out as Sox manager

southsider2k5

2 minutes ago, chw42 said:

If Ricky didn't blow the second game in Cleveland, maybe Dallas wouldn't have needed to go 6 innings in his last start of the season. The 114 pitches in the Cubs game where we were up by 8 was also extremely unnecessary. And that was just 2 starts before he screwed up his back in KC. 

That's a fireable offense in and of itself.  I remember being so pissed when that happened.

2 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

So either the clubhouse wasn’t as close to Ricky as we thought or he lost control of the team down the stretch with his poor in game decisions.

You can tell the clubhouse wasn't right towards the end. Winning breeds chemistry. And if you go from winning 2/3 of your games to losing for an entire week, whatever chemistry you had before the losing streak isn't going to just stay there. Especially because this team lost some absolute heartbreakers in that stretch and some of those were because of Ricky's dumbass decisions. 

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

You can tell the clubhouse wasn't right towards the end. Winning breeds chemistry. And if you go from winning 2/3 of your games to losing for an entire week, whatever chemistry you had before the losing streak isn't going to just stay there. Especially because this team lost some absolute heartbreakers in that stretch and some of those were because of Ricky's dumbass decisions. 

I said at the time even on the shitty DIII teams I was on the team knows when the manager is making bad decisions in game that are hurting them.  Morale could not have been great.  I'd imagine that giving Rodon that role after contributing basically jack shit for 2 years probably rubbed some guys the wrong way as well.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

47 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

That is the one thing that as much as Hahn tried to spin and as good as he is in spinning it, he couldn't get it done. If he wants the new guy to have the latitude to hire his own staff, why didn't everyone "mutually part ways"? Only Coop. So Coop was clearly fired. There is no other explanation. 

It would have really been something if RH just said, hey you saw what happened in Cleveland and Oakland. They are lucky they weren't pulled out of the dugout mid game.

The one coach Ozzie had to take was Coop. The one coach Ventura had to take was Coop. The one coach RR had to take was Coop. The one coach the new guy doesn't have to take is Coop. 

It seems that many established managers have their pitching coach who follows them from job to job.  They don't leave it to chance that they can work well together.

5 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

So either the clubhouse wasn’t as close to Ricky as we thought or he lost control of the team down the stretch with his poor in game decisions.

I think they liked Ricky the man, and appreciated how he always had their back.

I think some had questions about Ricky the disciplinarian and man of accountability, in addition to some of his in-game decisions down the stretch. Had their hot spell come at the end of the season and not the middle, I doubt we have this conversation but it's understandable either way.

1 minute ago, HakunaMachado said:

Dumb question here - are the Sox allowed to talk to Hinch/Cora while they’re on suspension? Or is it a no-contact type deal? I’m just curious as to the timing of all this.

I think their suspension ends when the regular season ends

Just now, Kyyle23 said:

I think their suspension ends when the regular season ends

World Series;

Technically no one can contact them. That rule is obviously complete nonsense and MLB has no enforcement power; they're not subpoenaing phone records.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

Just now, HakunaMachado said:

Dumb question here - are the Sox allowed to talk to Hinch/Cora while they’re on suspension? Or is it a no-contact type deal? I’m just curious as to the timing of all this.

Very good question, not dumb at all. Both are not allowed at MLB facilities, and I’m sure they aren’t allowed to contact teams. Maybe they can take calls. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, chw42 said:

I agree. I remember I was fuming when RR was blowing the second game of the Cleveland series. I was calling for his firing. However, his questionable decisions with the bullpen in the elimination game was the tipping point for me. I just couldn’t stand his piss poor in game decisions any longer and knew at that point the team had to make a change if they wanted to reach the next level.

Edited by maloney.adam

22 minutes ago, HakunaMachado said:

Hahn specifically mentioned the "after world series" timing. IMO the deal is done with either Hinch or Cora and two days after WS, one will be announced, some fans here will say that they won't follow the team, some major overreactions will be made...and the rest of us will just put on some sunglasses and enjoy the bright future with a better manager than the White Sox have had...maybe ever. 

Edited by EloyJenkins

49 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I would expect any high-end manager to insist on having total discretion in his coaching staff.

I watched the entire zoom conference, the one area of concern is when Rick said a new manger would have “some” level of input regarding his staff.

Looking forward to the new manager and staff announcements, and list of players non tender (Hope Parrot and Rodon among those listed). 

The only speculation I’ll add is Hinch has an advantage over Cora with Jerry Reinsdorf, as Home Depot buckets are much cheaper than Apple watches. 

19 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Hahn specifically mentioned the "after world series" timing. IMO the deal is done with either Hinch or Cora and two days after WS, one will be announced, some fans here will say that they won't follow the team, some major overreactions will be made...and the rest of us will just put on some sunglasses and enjoy the bright future with a better manager than the White Sox have had...maybe ever. 

Should we have a preference of the two? Or just be happy it’s not more RR?

Coop was there too long. If he acted as angry/meanish toward the front office as he did the media, he deserves to move on. Somebody will hire him soon. I'll say it: He did a fine job in Chicago with the Sox.

As far as RR ... the collapse at the end negated his nice job getting the team to make the playoffs in the first year the rebuilt team possibly could make the playoffs. He would have won manager of the year if not for the ill timed collapse at the end. Was the firing fair? If the veterans hated him, yes. But to be fair, the guy still had a team with a lot of holes. He didn't sign EE. He didn't sign a catcher with some deficiencies in calling a game and defensively when we didn't need a catcher. Sox got McCann/Collins. It's not his fault Kopech needed to sit out a year. It's not his fault Sox did not have enough starters. It's not his fault Dallas picked a bad day to have a bad start.

Life isn't fair. Coop had to go; RR was OK but Sox think they can do better. Hopefully the new manager is a great leader. I'd hire somebody who speaks spanish. Has to be very helpful.

Edited by greg775

• Tony unpinned this topic