Sox Press Conference - 11am 10/12 - RR out as Sox manager

southsider2k5

3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

The White Sox make the playoffs for the first time in 12 years, and fire their manager for the first time in 17, and their pitching coach for the first time in longer than that. Who could ever have thought of this being a possibility? This is the same owner than wanted to keep Jim Boylen around. 

Ozzie didn't get fired. Robin didn't get fired. 

This is probably one of the most remarkable days in White Sox history.

It is truly remarkable, but as you said in an earlier post, we should have seen this coming once Stone and others spoke out. There is one other key factor in all of this. Did the organization just look at RR as not being able to complete the rebuild as opposed to just being a bad manager? Probably both, but this is a decisive action and at least shows that the FO is somewhat serious about winning. Just getting into the playoffs in a diluted system is not enough.

7 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

That is really harsh considering one more win and the Sox beat them this year. Stay classy Steve.

A 60 game season and a 162 game season are very much different things.  Don’t think there is anything with Stone being honest with opinion, dude does not think very highly of Ricky’s in-game manager skills.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

A 60 game season and a 162 game season are very much different things.  Don’t think there is anything with Stone being honest with opinion, dude does not think very highly of Ricky’s in-game manager skills.

I think we get that. He doesn't have to keep pounding away.

Hahn came off a bit smug and arrogant in that presser. He thinks he can be a GM for 10  more years, blah blah.  Thank you for your self evaluation. And  kW made damn sure Ozzie would be ruled out (not that I think Ozzie should be the new manager).

Of  course RR should have been fired for all the reasons that Stone laid out ....but Hahn took no responsibility whatsoever for his personnel decisions and lack of them. It is hard to make a play-off run when you have only two healthy  and competitive starting pitchers.  It is hard to win when you have a DH that hits .159 and a  corner outfielder that hit 1 HR all season.  Hahn said he had numerous meetings and conversations with RR during the season. What were they talking about ?

They Sox had Collins and Vaughn in Schaumburg. They had Engel ready to play RF instead of Mazara. McCann should have caught Giolito from Opening Day. McCann was a better catcher than Grandal according to Stone and either one should have been DHing on their off days instead of EE.  ALL of that was mentioned by Stone but was RR and Coop responsible for all of that?  They didn't have the horses this season and didn't  try to switch things around or make acquisitions or trades. Hahn was asleep at the wheel after Kopech opted out.  The Sox were never going to win in the playoffs with GIO, Kopech and bullpen starts .

KW and Hahn are untouchable. I was hoping JR would start  the clean up at the top with Hahn and KW  and let the new GM do the rest of the dirty work.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Considering the news, I think it’s appropriate for him to continue being vocal... and that it will soon stop now.

RR is supposed to be a good guy. He very publicly lost his job. Kicking him while he is down doesn’t accomplish anything. I know in this day and age, letting everyone have it is what a lot of people like. I just think you can be a little classier about it. 

• Like 2

KW got JR to call Ozzie and explain why he wouldn't be Manager.   That's pretty ridiculous. 

Again, KW  and Hahn should have been fired and let the new GM tell Ozzie that the Sox would be going in a new direction.  If I was Ozzie I would have told JR  that he could never manage as long as KW was there.

2 minutes ago, tray said:

KW got JR to call Ozzie and explain why he wouldn't be Manager.   That's pretty ridiculous. 

Again, KW  and Hahn should have been fired and let the new GM tell Ozzie that the Sox would be going in a new direction.  If I was Ozzie I would have told JR  that he could never manage as long as KW was there.

What in the world are you rambling about?

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Benetti is on with Dan Bernstein right now. He's saying he didn't think the Sox would clean house, but that the Billy Donovan hire may have signaled a change in philosphy for JR.

Winning franchises are worth more than losers.  JR knows it's time to prepare his teams to attract top dollar for his investors and heirs.

6 minutes ago, tray said:

You must be pissed that they let go of Ricky, your manager.

Edited by maloney.adam
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, tray said:

Hahn came off a bit smug and arrogant in that presser. He thinks he can be a GM for 10  more years, blah blah.  Thank you for your self evaluation. And  kW made damn sure Ozzie would be ruled out (not that I think Ozzie should be the new manager).

Of  course RR should have been fired for all the reasons that Stone laid out ....but Hahn took no responsibility whatsoever for his personnel decisions and lack of them. It is hard to make a play-off run when you have only two healthy  and competitive starting pitchers.  It is hard to win when you have a DH that hits .159 and a  corner outfielder that hit 1 HR all season.  Hahn said he had numerous meetings and conversations with RR during the season. What were they talking about ?

They Sox had Collins and Vaughn in Schaumburg. They had Engel ready to play RF instead of Mazara. McCann should have caught Giolito from Opening Day. McCann was a better catcher than Grandal according to Stone and either one should have been DHing on their off days instead of EE.  ALL of that was mentioned by Stone but was RR and Coop responsible for all of that?  They didn't have the horses this season and didn't  try to switch things around or make acquisitions or trades. Hahn was asleep at the wheel after Kopech opted out.  The Sox were never going to win in the playoffs with GIO, Kopech and bullpen starts .

KW and Hahn are untouchable. I was hoping JR would start  the clean up at the top with Hahn and KW  and let the new GM do the rest of the dirty work.

I think that was taken the wrong way.  I think he was recongnizing that big data is changing the game.  In the same breath he said that he did the work on arbitration hearings early on in his career, yet today it was past him because of how much more detail happens in them.  I took it as self-reflection and recognition that he couldn't do this forever.

Also again, not a single reporter asked him about what he thought about last years signings, so he didn't spend anytime on it.  95% of the call was answering reporter questions.  He didn't really do any type of free style where he just made up topics to talk about.  The only thing he talked about before questions was Ricky.  Everything else was in answer to reporter question.

Not the point. KW should be let go and so should Hahn.  The buck stops at the top.

Chicago White Sox said:

Oh, OK, you are a lot smarter than I am.  How about adding a frown face to every one of my posts?

In general, continuity is better than not.

In general, I agree with Dick that kicking the guy when he's down is pointless.

If the Sox win the division by 5 games next year, or lose it by 5, is anyone really going to argue it was the freaking manager that made the difference? I honestly don't think there's ever been a job whose impact has been more exaggerated by fans than baseball manager.

4 minutes ago, tray said:

Not the point. KW should be let go and so should Hahn.  The buck stops at the top.

Chicago White Sox said:

Oh, OK, you are a lot smarter than I am.  How about adding a frown face to every one of my posts?

Why would Rick Hahn be fired for executing a rebuild and having it turn out - to date - exactly as planned? 

2 minutes ago, tray said:

Chicago White Sox said:

Why would I laugh at your post?  I just don’t know what you’re upset about right now.  The Sox fired a manager who was likely going to be a problem at some point and a pitching coach who time has since passed by.  No one should upset right now, yet you are going on a tangent about KW & Hahn for some reason.  Guess what bud, firing Ricky puts more accountability on the front office as they just burned their get out of jail free card.  A rational fan would be ecstatic right now.

38 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

RR is supposed to be a good guy. He very publicly lost his job. Kicking him while he is down doesn’t accomplish anything. I know in this day and age, letting everyone have it is what a lot of people like. I just think you can be a little classier about it. 

Very true as well but our sentiments are not mutually exclusive.

• Tony unpinned this topic