Sox Press Conference - 11am 10/12 - RR out as Sox manager

southsider2k5

Why would Rick Hahn be fired for executing a rebuild and having it turn out - to date - exactly as planned? 

"Exactly" ? Who traded Tatis Jr. for Shields?   Who  acquired EE and Mazara and did nothing as they continued to flounder ?

Who made no move to add to the pitching rotation after Kopech opted out?   Who relied on  Cease, ReyLo, Rodon and Dane Dunning coming off TJ  AS 3, 4 and 5 starters?  

Why didn't they call up Vaughn and Collins? Why were they afraid to DFA  EE and Mazara when they knew they would not be on the team next season anyway? ?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Hahn knows he struck out with EE, Mazara, and Gio G. But they were simply holdover and a lottery ticket. We will rid ourselves of them and He'll probably be held more accountable for guys he signs this year. 

Add Cisheck and I can't forget Shields quite yet..

Hahn and KW better get things right this off season because the window of contention with this core is open.  Fill the RF hole for chrissakes and get at least one TOR starter. Unfortunately, Hahn seemed to indicate that the Red Sox would be high bdders for Bauer. 

1 minute ago, tray said:

Hahn and KW better get things right this off season because the window of contention with this core is open.  Fill the RF hole for chrissakes and get at least one TOR starter. Unfortunately, Hahn seemed to indicate that the Red Sox would be high bdders for Bauer. 

Again, we know the failures of Hahn. But the rebuild is on it's way so no need to fire him yet. There will be misses and there will be hits, but if this team overall is successful then you keep him. If they can't get to that next level, you don't. 

7 minutes ago, tray said:

Why would Rick Hahn be fired for executing a rebuild and having it turn out - to date - exactly as planned? 

"Exactly" ? Who traded Tatis Jr. for Shields?   Who  acquired EE and Mazara and did nothing as they continued to flounder ?

Who made no move to add to the pitching rotation after Kopech opted out?   Who relied on  Cease, ReyLo, Rodon and Dane Dunning coming off TJ  AS 3, 4 and 5 starters?  

Why didn't they call up Vaughn and Collins? Why were they afraid to DFA  EE and Mazara when they knew they would not be on the team next season anyway? ?

I don't think he should be punished for not trading young guys in this shorten unknown season, just wasn't worth it. 

2 minutes ago, tray said:

How did he insinuate that? I listened to entire press conference and heard nothing of the sort. 

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

WSD and WhiteSoxShowdown acting like they heard something that’s not particularly great. Probably nothing, but worth mentioning: 

Vague Tweets were: 

“irate” and “no way”

Referencing Hinch?

41 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

In general, continuity is better than not.

In general, I agree with Dick that kicking the guy when he's down is pointless.

If the Sox win the division by 5 games next year, or lose it by 5, is anyone really going to argue it was the freaking manager that made the difference? I honestly don't think there's ever been a job whose impact has been more exaggerated by fans than baseball manager.

And yet Rick Hahn, a Major League GM, has decided it did matter enough to fire Ricky despite our first post-season appearance in a dozen years.  Context does matter and as we saw down the stretch bad decision making can cost you games quickly when a run or two has a significant impact on your win expectancy.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Very true as well but our sentiments are not mutually exclusive.

Just to be clear, I don’t have a problem with people here ripping him or fans calling into a radio show ripping him or sports talk hosts ripping him. That’s all part of the gig. Steve Stone is associated with the team, he should hold back.

Just now, Dick Allen said:

Just to be clear, I don’t have a problem with people here ripping him or fans calling into a radio show ripping him or sports talk hosts ripping him. That’s all part of the gig. Steve Stone is associated with the team, he should hold back.

He needs to hold back with Grandal. The constant bashing of him is unnecessary.

42 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

WSD and WhiteSoxShowdown acting like they heard something that’s not particularly great. Probably nothing, but worth mentioning: 

Vague Tweets were: 

“irate” and “no way”

WSD’s tweet is about a race horse that he’s a part owner of. Was favored in the race but finished 5th. Nothing to worry about. 

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

Ok so I hate to do this but I’ve been on the road all day can someone give me some choice bits since I know at this point that really and coop were let go

Crochet is fine

Madrigal just had shoulder surgery

Both skippers out, people assuming Hinch is the target 

Oh and I didn't know that Grandal was a juicer 🤷‍♂

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, joesaiditstrue said:

Crochet is fine

Madrigal just had shoulder surgery

Both skippers out, people assuming Hinch is the target 

Oh and I didn't know that Grandal was a juicer 🤷‍♂

Noice. I’d put odds of hiring Hinch at zero if the commish is against it. If manfred wants them assimilated back, then JR would probably be the one to do it.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why would I laugh at your post?  I just don’t know what you’re upset about right now.  The Sox fired a manager who was likely going to be a problem at some point and a pitching coach who time has since passed by.  No one should upset right now, yet you are going on a tangent about KW & Hahn for some reason.  Guess what bud, firing Ricky puts more accountability on the front office as they just burned their get out of jail free card.  A rational fan would be ecstatic right now.

Today was a great day for the organization. Don’t know how anyone could say otherwise. I’ve yet to see anyone say that Ricky deserved to keep his job.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Noice. I’d put odds of hiring Hinch at zero if the commish is against it. If manfred wants them assimilated back, then JR would probably be the one to do it.

it really is an awesome hour, felt almost surreal. Hahn also had every chance to say Sox would have to make big budget cuts and he didn’t do so.

• Thanks 1

Just now, fathom said:

Today was a great day for the organization. Don’t know how anyone could say otherwise. I’ve yet to see anyone say that Ricky deserved to keep his job.

Yup.  And canning Ricky while under contract and in the middle of an economic crisis means we probably some money to play with this offseason.

• Like 1

• Tony unpinned this topic