Sox Press Conference - 11am 10/12 - RR out as Sox manager

southsider2k5

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yup.  And canning Ricky while under contract and in the middle of an economic crisis means we probably some money to play with this offseason.

Unless they are going to substitute a managerial change for spending money.  When asked about spending next  year he didn't really take a convincing stand either for or against more spending.  It was definitely a wait and see answer.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Unless they are going to substitute a managerial change for spending money.  When asked about spending next  year he didn't really take a convincing stand either for or against more spending.  It was definitely a wait and see answer.

Almost every other GM that has met with the media after the season was way more pessimistic than Hahn was about having money to spend.

4 hours ago, poppysox said:

I would expect any high-end manager to insist on having total discretion in his coaching staff.

Not so sure. Both Cora and Hinch are coming back from suspensions so they may not be able to insist.  Now if there is strong competition for their services among multiple teams,  they will have more leverage. 

I find it interesting that MLB teams do have to wait till after the World Series but NBA teams did not have to wait till NBA Championship. 

3 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

Not so sure. Both Cora and Hinch are coming back from suspensions so they may not be able to insist.  Now if there is strong competition for their services among multiple teams,  they will have more leverage. 

I find it interesting that MLB teams do have to wait till after the World Series but NBA teams did not have to wait till NBA Championship. 

They don’t have to wait...they’re waiting because that’s when the two guys are eligible 

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Today was a great day for the organization. Don’t know how anyone could say otherwise. I’ve yet to see anyone say that Ricky deserved to keep his job.

1 hour ago, fathom said:

it really is an awesome hour, felt almost surreal. Hahn also had every chance to say Sox would have to make big budget cuts and he didn’t do so.

Thank you. I really don't get how people aren't realizing this. All I've seen is a lot of arguing over Hinch/Cora, but what is being missed is that Reinsdorf seems to have had a change of heart and is actually running the organization (and the Bulls) as it should be.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

I just watched the press conference and I thought his response on our financial situation sounded pretty optimistic.  Obviously he didn’t guarantee anything, but he also didn’t do that extreme of a job of keeping expectations in check.  I really do expect us to spend a decent amount this winter all things considered.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Did anyone catch the part of Nightengale’s La Russa article where he said that Hinch as high on their list but they have shown no interest in Cora?

Yeah, I saw that. It doesn't surprise me about Cora. He seems to be the dirt bag with the whole sign cheating scandal. Also sounds like Red Sox may rehire him. Idk.

They're not serious about LaRussa right? He's 76. Enjoy your retirement.

6 hours ago, maloney.adam said:

So either the clubhouse wasn’t as close to Ricky as we thought or he lost control of the team down the stretch with his poor in game decisions.

I still believe the Latin players were more pro Ricky than the American players personally. But it's all moot at this point. 

Do you think that move maybe means that reinsdorf maybe sees this as a chance to win one more championship in his live and disregard economic stuff? 

Maybe he kinda sees it like "I don't have that many more years and now we have a great core so spending money is not a futile waste like in the mid 2010s but a real chance to win a championship"? 

Maybe it really was Jerry pushing for a championship and it means he will go a bit in the red to win a ring like illitch tried in his final years in Detroit. 

9 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

Do you think that move maybe means that reinsdorf maybe sees this as a chance to win one more championship in his live and disregard economic stuff? 

Maybe he kinda sees it like "I don't have that many more years and now we have a great core so spending money is not a futile waste like in the mid 2010s but a real chance to win a championship"? 

Maybe it really was Jerry pushing for a championship and it means he will go a bit in the red to win a ring like illitch tried in his final years in Detroit. 

I think KW/Hahn have been slowly but surely modernizing their operations since 2017 and the last step of that is a more integrated front office/coaching system. Getting someone the players will respect while also being capable of effectively carrying out the plans of the FO/scouts is the job now.

That said, I think what they also saw is Rick's supreme optimism was helpful keeping a bunch of young players struggling from cratering mentally during the rebuild years. Recall an Engel story after K'ing on a slider on 3 pitches coming back to the dugout to RR saying "it's okay kid that was a tough pitch" and him thinking "you know that was just a great pitch". Especially for an Engel who was allowed to struggle and develop in majors, RR was likely the perfect manager.

But that wasn't the team he had anymore. In a rebuild, showing you believe in a pitcher like Rodon or Ruiz in a tough situation may be helpful long-term in showing that player they are still depended upon and having the manager's confidence could mean a lot. But the sox are now in the short-term.

So no I don't think it's anything about Reinsdorf specifically and more that they gave ricky a new team but he was still managing it the exact same.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Think it's time to email your buddy Jerry again.

JR doesn't respond to my letters anymore. He use to respond to me, not anymore.   Its really a shame  because I've really made some good suggestions about improving the White Sox but  like  I said he doesn't respond to my letters anymore.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, WBWSF said:

JR doesn't respond to my letters anymore. He use to respond to me, not anymore.   Its really a shame  because I've really made some good suggestions about improving the White Sox but  like  I said he doesn't respond to my letters anymore.

On 3/24/2019 at 6:56 AM, WBWSF said:

How about Jay, Alonzo, Fulmer and Giolito for Happ?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Fire 6

2 hours ago, fathom said:

Stoney implied via twitter yesterday that Ricky was gone no matter what happened the last few weeks of the season.

https://mobile.twitter.com/stevestone/status/1315767122404892672

This is easy to say now, but if the Sox won the division, the crazy stuff doesn't happen in Cleveland, and doesn't happen in the playoffs, there is no way RR isn't back. One more win, they win the division.He showed when the chips were down his way wasn't the right way. 

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

This is easy to say now, but if the Sox won the division, the crazy stuff doesn't happen in Cleveland, and doesn't happen in the playoffs, there is no way RR isn't back. One more win, they win the division.He showed when the chips were down his way wasn't the right way. 

I agree with you. Right after we clinched a playoff spot, Hahn said that Ricky deserves to be a part of the winning and celebration. I figured he'd be back for sure. Then, the last 10 games and playoffs happened, reminding our FO who Rick really is as a game day guy. They watched Rick coach us out of the division and the playoffs. 

• Tony unpinned this topic