Sox Press Conference - 11am 10/12 - RR out as Sox manager

southsider2k5

The White Sox lost 2 games in Cleveland they should have won in the 9th and 10th innings with Ruiz and Gonzalez pitching. With 28 man rosters, in a series that big, where as it turned out 1 win would have meant winning the division, having your worst 2 pitchers on the mound in that situation is inexcusable.  I could see if it was the 12th inning or later, but not the 9th or 10th.

36 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

The fact McCann never faced Berrios this season probably cemented it as much as anything. 

At some point in late September Grandal should have been moved to full time DH and McCann every day catcher and Collins should have been brought up.  

You don't send you catcher for the next 3 seasons to the DH role fulltime for a dude that was hitting .227 with a .300 OBP for the final month.  

But yes, McCann and Grandal both should have been in the lineup more often.  I somewhat understood the reluctance to give up on EE - he is a notoriously slow starter.  BUt it was pretty evident there was nothing left in the tank. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

You don't send you catcher for the next 3 seasons to the DH role fulltime for a dude that was hitting .227 with a .300 OBP for the final month.  

But yes, McCann and Grandal both should have been in the lineup more often.  I somewhat understood the reluctance to give up on EE - he is a notoriously slow starter.  BUt it was pretty evident there was nothing left in the tank. 

I think he normally starts hitting after the first 2 months from like June on. The time just wasn't there to get going.

8 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I think he normally starts hitting after the first 2 months from like June on. The time just wasn't there to get going.

Yep, I would have cut the cord in September.  But understood not really doing so prior.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, harkness99 said:

My Questions is was the plan to let him go something that had been in the works for a long time...

Or was it just his late season meltdown of baffling decisions.

I think the last few weeks reinforced the problem, but I think Ricky would have been on this ice regardless as the Sox want a manager who will partner with the front office on decision-making.

• Like 1

• Tony unpinned this topic