Jump to content
southsider2k5

Sox Press Conference - 11am 10/12 - RR out as Sox manager

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

My Questions is was the plan to let him go something that had been in the works for a long time...

 

Or was it just his late season meltdown of baffling decisions.

Stoney said he was gone no matter what

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

The fact McCann never faced Berrios this season probably cemented it as much as anything. 

At some point in late September Grandal should have been moved to full time DH and McCann every day catcher and Collins should have been brought up.  

The series in Cleveland sealed the deal for me. I didn’t like Ricky all that much from a on-field standpoint even before then, but bringing in Ruiz and then Rodon in critical games was the final straw. It was some of the worst managing I have ever seen, it’s like he was trying to lose his job. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

The series in Cleveland sealed the deal for me. I didn’t like Ricky all that much from a on-field standpoint even before then, but bringing in Ruiz and then Rodon in critical games was the final straw. It was some of the worst managing I have ever seen, it’s like he was trying to lose his job. 

And Gio Gonzalez...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

The series in Cleveland sealed the deal for me. I didn’t like Ricky all that much from a on-field standpoint even before then, but bringing in Ruiz and then Rodon in critical games was the final straw. It was some of the worst managing I have ever seen, it’s like he was trying to lose his job. 

Or maybe he knew he was gone already

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

And Gio Gonzalez...

That too. He made so many awful decisions during that series alone that I couldn’t even remember all of them off the top of my head...lol. Gio Gonzalez in the bottom of the 9th against Jordan Luplow 😬

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The White Sox lost 2 games in Cleveland they should have won in the 9th and 10th innings with Ruiz and Gonzalez pitching. With 28 man rosters, in a series that big, where as it turned out 1 win would have meant winning the division, having your worst 2 pitchers on the mound in that situation is inexcusable.  I could see if it was the 12th inning or later, but not the 9th or 10th.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

My Questions is was the plan to let him go something that had been in the works for a long time...

 

Or was it just his late season meltdown of baffling decisions.

There has been reports that it was going to happen either way.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

The fact McCann never faced Berrios this season probably cemented it as much as anything. 

At some point in late September Grandal should have been moved to full time DH and McCann every day catcher and Collins should have been brought up.  

You don't send you catcher for the next 3 seasons to the DH role fulltime for a dude that was hitting .227 with a .300 OBP for the final month.  

But yes, McCann and Grandal both should have been in the lineup more often.  I somewhat understood the reluctance to give up on EE - he is a notoriously slow starter.  BUt it was pretty evident there was nothing left in the tank. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

You don't send you catcher for the next 3 seasons to the DH role fulltime for a dude that was hitting .227 with a .300 OBP for the final month.  

But yes, McCann and Grandal both should have been in the lineup more often.  I somewhat understood the reluctance to give up on EE - he is a notoriously slow starter.  BUt it was pretty evident there was nothing left in the tank. 

 

I think he normally starts hitting after the first 2 months from like June on. The time just wasn't there to get going.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

I think he normally starts hitting after the first 2 months from like June on. The time just wasn't there to get going.

Yep, I would have cut the cord in September.  But understood not really doing so prior.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, harkness99 said:

My Questions is was the plan to let him go something that had been in the works for a long time...

 

Or was it just his late season meltdown of baffling decisions.

I think the last few weeks reinforced the problem, but I think Ricky would have been on this ice regardless as the Sox want a manager who will partner with the front office on decision-making.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×