Cooper also out

Southwest Sider

7 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

this is my only worry. That ReyLo, Cease and Dunning all get a longer leash and they don't sign a big free agent #1 or #2. ReyLo should only get a chance if there is an injury. 

They can get a longer leash and still sign someone. No way you give up on cease already

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

this is my only worry. That ReyLo, Cease and Dunning all get a longer leash and they don't sign a big free agent #1 or #2. ReyLo should only get a chance if there is an injury. 

Reylo should be traded for a bag of balls or cash.  Cease needs a complete mechanical overhaul.  Dunning just needs more reps.  Dunning is not at all like the first two.  Dunning had a great season.  

20 minutes ago, JoshPR said:

They can get a longer leash and still sign someone. No way you give up on cease already

oh totally agree. In my ideal it's:
Start of season
Giolito, #2 Bauer/Stroman/Trade, Keuchel, Cease, Dunning

June
Giolito, #2, Keuchel, Cease, Kopech or Dunning (We have to see Kopech get a longer look)

Playoffs
Giolito, #2, Keuchel, Kopech, Cease or Dunning (Kopech gets a playoff start if he holds up and Cease and Dunning both can be bullpen/long guys if needed

I don't see how Reylo fits into any of this. Especially if Crochet is a 2 inning type guy/longer relief guy for 2021 and is starter for 2022. 

Reylo as a high impact bullpen replacement sounds about the only option if they keep him. Would rather trade. 

Edited by EloyJenkins

4 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Coop's probably had more power as the pitching coach than any other pitching coach. So if they are bringing in someone from outside, with championship experience, not having full control over his department might make them look for a job somewhere else. 

I think this is true. A new manager has to have the right to name his own staff. I wouldn't want the job if I had Coop looking over my shoulder. I wouldn't be able to trust him.

When Hawk became GM, JR insisted that LaRussa remain as manager. Turned out to be a big mistake public relations-wise, and more important, the team's progress was set back several years. Coop had to go, pure and simple. It's time anyway.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Rick made it clear that adding pitching this winter was job #1 for him, and he didn't think it would be a big deal to the next guys down the line.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

I'm no pitching coach but in that Nats video with his delivery he looks like a guy who is always going to be VERY wild in the strikezone.  

Lopez needs some fixing but I definitely don't want to rely on a pitcher that looks like that.

At least he had electric stuff in that video. He’s wild now and has nothing on his pitches.

4 hours ago, Thad Bosley said:

Any remote chance Ozzie had at coming back as manager was slightly increased with the removal of his arch rival Don Cooper as pitching coach.  No way Guillen could come back after all the bad blood spilt between he and Coop after his departure.  

Was there bad blood? I don't recall with Coop

4 hours ago, EloyJenkins said:

Cease and Dunning absolutely deserve a leash

12 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Reylo should be traded for a bag of balls or cash.  Cease needs a complete mechanical overhaul.  Dunning just needs more reps.  Dunning is not at all like the first two.  Dunning had a great season.  

Reylo has very little trade value right now, you would probably get a 40fv prospect for him right now. 

Definitely keep him and see what a new pitching coach can do. That doesn't mean hand him a spot in the rotation for free but at least he needs to get a long look in spring training. 

He still is only 26 and has a live arm and could turn it around. 

If he doesn't you can still get rid of him next year. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Was there bad blood? I don't recall with Coop

Cease and Dunning absolutely deserve a leash

Can't remember exact scenario but Ozzie thought coop went behind his back to keep his job when it was clear things were going south with Ozzie. Ozzie's last few years were really ugly and I can't believe how much support he still has here. I want a manager I don't have to think about.

1 hour ago, Dominikk85 said:

Reylo has very little trade value right now, you would probably get a 40fv prospect for him right now. 

Definitely keep him and see what a new pitching coach can do. That doesn't mean hand him a spot in the rotation for free but at least he needs to get a long look in spring training. 

Absolutely agree with this. Spots in the rotation are becoming limited but if a new pitching coach can find a way to get some life on his pitches again he might be a solid asset out of the pen.

2 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

We say this EVERY year... and then "next year" comes around and we say "he's only 27 and has a live arm and could turn it around." Rinse repeat

14 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I'm at the point where I would transition him to the pen. He has an option left so you can start in Spring Training and then let him continue at Charlotte.

3 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

We say this EVERY year... and then "next year" comes around and we say "he's only 27 and has a live arm and could turn it around." Rinse repeat

Except the washing machine repairman is different so hopefully the machine is fixed properly this time as the modern washing machine was giving the older repairman fits with its new fangled technology. 

16 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Obviously there is a good chance he will never make it and he likely is more likely to never make it but even if there is only a small Chance it is worth to find out. 

There is a long list of pitchers who figured it out around age 25-27, randy Johnson had like 4 career war at age 26.

Obviously those cases are rare but they can happen and it is worth to find out especially with a new PC and after this crazy year. 

22 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

With a new voice at pitching coach it’s possible.  If bringing him back prevents us from doing other things then I get it, but I’d definitely keep him in the org one more season if we have the money.

• Tony unpinned this topic