Jump to content
South Sider

Cooper also out

Recommended Posts

59 minutes ago, Quin said:

This is more shocking.

Fully agree here.  And didn't even wait for a new manager for it to happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Fully agree here.  And didn't even wait for a new manager for it to happen.

Coop's probably had more power as the pitching coach than any other pitching coach. So if they are bringing in someone from outside, with championship experience, not having full control over his department might make them look for a job somewhere else. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can we poach someone from the Cleveland organization?  They seem to have a constant supply of pitchers who are major league ready.  Whatever they do over there, can we have a little?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, wegner said:

Can we poach someone from the Cleveland organization?  They seem to have a constant supply of pitchers who are major league ready.  Whatever they do over there, can we have a little?

Cleveland really has been amazing in their pitching development.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Soxfest said:

Coop had a good run, but it was time.

Yep.  That sums it up perfectly imho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mentioned Hahn's comments in the press conference thread, but it really seemed like they were looking at an internal candidate, and it sure felt like he was setting up Matt Zaleski to be the guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wegner said:

I don't disagree with you Poppy, but the staff was what Rick Hahn gave them to work with....and I don't know if the front office will ever also be held responsible for those decisions as well.  I just hope Rick Hahn makes smarter acquisitions this offseason.

Thankfully Hahn is not waiting to find out if he is next.  I think what we are seeing is JR knows this is his last shot and loyalty be damned...he wants to go out on top.  RR seems to be a great guy but his lineups could have been improved on by most people on this board.  In sixty-plus years of watching this team...I don't believe there was ever a worse job of handling the pitching staff than that game 3 display.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hi8is said:

Cleveland really has been amazing in their pitching development.

So has Tampa Bay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Thankfully Hahn is not waiting to find out if he is next.  I think what we are seeing is JR knows this is his last shot and loyalty be damned...he wants to go out on top.  RR seems to be a great guy but his lineups could have been improved on by most people on this board.  In sixty-plus years of watching this team...I don't believe there was ever a worse job of handling the pitching staff than that game 3 display.  

That Game 3 was an epic fail on many levels....and I hope the last time I see Hard Carl pitching in a White Sox uniform.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, poppysox said:

Thankfully Hahn is not waiting to find out if he is next.  I think what we are seeing is JR knows this is his last shot and loyalty be damned...he wants to go out on top.  RR seems to be a great guy but his lineups could have been improved on by most people on this board.  In sixty-plus years of watching this team...I don't believe there was ever a worse job of handling the pitching staff than that game 3 display.  

There were a couple of games in Cleveland that give it a run for its money. Ultimately, it had to be what cost them. But the game 3 plan made no sense. Dunning starts, when he gives up a hit, get the bullpen going. What does that say to your team and your young pitcher? And if he is that iffy, why is he on the mound?

The fact is, with the staff's confidence in starting pitching, the Sox would have maxed out beating Oakland. They don't advance again with 2 starters. Ricky has always managed a bullpen questionably. That was never going to change. Making the move now before it costs you a trip to the WS is probably smart. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

There were a couple of games in Cleveland that give it a run for its money. Ultimately, it had to be what cost them. But the game 3 plan made no sense. Dunning starts, when he gives up a hit, get the bullpen going. What does that say to your team and your young pitcher? And if he is that iffy, why is he on the mound?

The fact is, with the staff's confidence in starting pitching, the Sox would have maxed out beating Oakland. They don't advance again with 2 starters. Ricky has always managed a bullpen questionably. That was never going to change. Making the move now before it costs you a trip to the WS is probably smart. 

The Cleveland series was a much bigger fail on RR's part than game 3 was imo.  Game 3 certainly wasn't great but that was more of a front office fail than anything else imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

 

Maybe they will make Cooper one of those team ambassadors....I mean he has such a mutual respect for and from Sox fans.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steve Stone says a lot of shit, so I wouldn’t lend credence to Cooper having or not having any further role. 

There is a reason Steve Stone never had any chance at the front office role he so desperately wanted over the past few decades. While he can be an interesting and entertaining color commentator, that role has no managerial responsibilities.

in a front office role, you need to have people wanting to work for you, and for people above to want you to work for them. There is zero evidence Steve Stone has the ability for either in a professional organization.

Broadcaster is the only role he is suited for.

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Steve Stone says a lot of shit, so I wouldn’t lend credence to Cooper having or not having any further role. 

There is a reason Steve Stone never had any chance at the front office role he so desperately wanted over the past few decades. While he can be an interesting and entertaining color commentator, that role has no managerial responsibilities.

in a front office role, you need to have people wanting to work for you, and for people above to want you to work for them. There is zero evidence Steve Stone has the ability for either in a professional organization.

Broadcaster is the only role he is suited for.

This from a guy who is barely qualified to post on a message board about baseball.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This from a guy who is barely qualified to post on a message board about baseball.

Over a hundred thousand post either linking or trolling other posters. Seriously get a life. 

  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, South Side Hit Men said:

Over a hundred thousand post either linking or trolling other posters. Seriously get a life. 

Seriously.  Steve Stone has forgotten more about baseball than you or I will ever know.  If you really want to sit here and judge HIS qualifications, why are we ignoring yours in the process?  What makes you qualified to know how a front office works, more than someone like Steve Stone is?  Nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

The Cleveland series was a much bigger fail on RR's part than game 3 was imo.  Game 3 certainly wasn't great but that was more of a front office fail than anything else imo.

Yep, that game in particular not sure I'd have done anything different except maybe not turn to Bummer so early and maybe give Dunning an extra hitter to see if he I could get more from him. At a certain point, someone has to be able to come in and throw strikes. 

Cleveland was a mess. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Thanks to Coop for all that he did.

But it was time. 

Agreed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually wanna give Reynaldo one more chance with a different pitching coach

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any remote chance Ozzie had at coming back as manager was slightly increased with the removal of his arch rival Don Cooper as pitching coach.  No way Guillen could come back after all the bad blood spilt between he and Coop after his departure.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×