Don Cooper appreciation thread

Quin

The best part about the Sox moving on is now we can go back to remembering Coop for the incredible first half of his career, and in particular the work he did in getting 4 starting pitchers to simultaneously have career years in 05. 

There are very few people who contributed more than Coop in bringing us a ring. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, flavum said:

He’ll always have that picture of him and the 4 starters in Anaheim. Can’t take it away from him. He was a good pitching coach for a long time and was a funny interview....sometimes.

The funniest thing Cooper ever did was his 1 second appearance in that god awful hype video.

1:08 for anyone who has never seen it: https://deadspin.com/comcast-sportsnets-white-sox-intro-video-is-one-of-the-464898838

Like Hahn said, you don't have a 2-3 decade run with an organization if you don't adapt and do things well. in the beginning coop got a lot of credit and little flack, at the end he got a little credit and a lot of flack. The truth probably is somewhere in between. 

I think it was probably a good time to move on, am thankful for his work, his candidness on podcast with chuck, and an overall B grade job he did for 20 years. I'll take it.

1 hour ago, Quin said:

We should have this.

The man developed some phenomenal pitchers for this team over the years and while "Coop'll fix 'em" became a meme, at one point it rang very true.

He had a hell of a run as pitching coach.  Maybe his time is up in baseball as the digital era emerges, but as a whole - I will remember Cooper as one being one of the better pitching coaches in the game for a long long time.  Best of luck to you Don & thank you for all the great memories as pitching coach for the Sox!  

I don't think we would have won in 2005 without Cooper, I will always appreciate what he did for this franchise. I do think its time for a change and the game has passed Cooper on.

I used to like to listen to him at Cork & Kerry on Western in Beverly at his Sunday night shows. He was lots fun on commercial breaks where he would be more open with his comments. The man would drain a full Miller Lite bottle in one swallow during a commercial break, now that is talent!!

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Eh, I won't let a one game sample over run what he did the last two years.  He went from an afterthought of an MiLB signing to one of the key and most important set up guys the team had.

I was just kidding.  I agree that Marshall has been very good and reliable these past two seasons.  The guy I wanted to start that game (Foster) could not find the plate at all when he came in.  Just a very frustrating experience as a Sox fan.  But on to bigger and better things.

• Like 1