Tony La Russa named Manager

YourWhatHurts

It won't be Ozzie

It will be someone with MLB coaching experience

It doesn't have to be a person with MLB managerial experience but is preferrable

Recent WS experience is preferrable

Fluency in Spanish is preferred but not absolutely necessary; the coaching staff must be capable of communicating with the players however

It will be someone from the outside

• Like 1

I remember how Soscia used to outmanage Ozzie every time we played the Angels.  He's old school but the time off of managing I think may have refreshed him.  He will probably be open to all the analytics etc anyway, and he will likely insist on a real smart bench coach to help him.  It's a 4-star or 5-star hire IMO.

PLEASE NO HINCH OR CORA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I’m not sure why people on this board are dragging out the previous generation of managers, people that have been passed up for manager jobs at the MLB level, are mentioning guys from the minor leagues and are dismissing two of the best candidates in Cora and Hinch, but parting ways with Renteria doesn’t seem to signal they are hiring anyone that isn’t going to take them to the next level. Aside from the negative perception of the cheating issue with Cora and Hinch, is there anything else that disqualifies either of them from getting this team to the next level?

How is Joey Cora not a better option than either?  Seriously there must be very many better candidates out there than the cheating trio of Alex Cora, Hinch and Beltran.  Really the first rule of a manager is managing the clubhouse and keeping the clubhouse in order.  All 3 are failures at that.  I mean, this was the ***one*** thing that Ricky did very well.  If we fire Ricky just to hire one of the cheating trio we are at best taking 1 step forward and 1 step back at the same time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Beast said:

I’m not sure why people on this board are dragging out the previous generation of managers, people that have been passed up for manager jobs at the MLB level, are mentioning guys from the minor leagues and are dismissing two of the best candidates in Cora and Hinch, but parting ways with Renteria doesn’t seem to signal they are hiring anyone that isn’t going to take them to the next level. Aside from the negative perception of the cheating issue with Cora and Hinch, is there anything else that disqualifies either of them from getting this team to the next level?

Yes.  They don't force their players to play the game fairly and the right way.  They don't own the clubhouse.  And I highly doubt any one of the cheaters is any more "baseball smart" than a guy like Sandy Alomar anyway.  There are enough of those smart baseball coaches around the game that you can get a good in game manager who accepts analytics without also getting a guy who is supposed to be a manager but just gets overrun by the players.

During Stone's call into the score, he had high praise for Hinch and mentioned that he spoke with him very recently. If Stone is indeed close with the FO, Hinch seems like the definite frontrunner. We also have Dallas here who may be close with Hinch.

Edited by Yearnin' for Yermin
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Yes.  They don't force their players to play the game fairly and the right way.  They don't own the clubhouse.  And I highly doubt any one of the cheaters is any more "baseball smart" than a guy like Sandy Alomar anyway.  There are enough of those smart baseball coaches around the game that you can get a good in game manager who accepts analytics without also getting a guy who is supposed to be a manager but just gets overrun by the players.

Is Sandy Alomar, Jr. the guy for today’s baseball game though? I guess we won’t know if he knows analytics better than Hinch or Cora but it is worth considering. I sincerely doubt that they’ll allow something like that cheating scandal to happen again but that is on Hahn to raise during the interview process and gauge the risk of as well.

8 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

No cheaters.  Simple.

Then bring on the usual suspects and hire Hurdle or Bochy, get Francona out of his deal or hire Alomar, Jr.

This kind of move smells like the Maddon move and so the best available manager is...?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Beast said:

Is Sandy Alomar, Jr. the guy for today’s baseball game though? I guess we won’t know if he knows analytics better than Hinch or Cora but it is worth considering. I sincerely doubt that they’ll allow something like that cheating scandal to happen again but that is on Hahn to raise during the interview process and gauge the risk of as well.

I'm of the belief the players threw Hinch under the bus. BUT, that is in itself a huge issue. 

Just now, TaylorStSox said:

If they hire Hinch, they don't have any integrity. 

Boo hoo. You don't think anybody deserves a 2nd chance? Should we stray away from any player who has been caught roiding as well? That's a poor way to construct a club. You limit yourself too much.

People make mistakes and they learn. You hire Hinch if he is the best candidate out there, no question.

• Like 5

• Chisoxfn locked and unlocked this topic