Tony La Russa named Manager

YourWhatHurts

LaRussa actually makes tons of sense if the idea is to hire a young future manager as a bench coach who fits all of the  criteria you are looking for and you want to bring LaRussa in to kind of groom him for the role.  This is especially sensible if the candidate isn't the kind of guy who has had the sort of playing career that would immediately draw respect from the players.

Otherwise this just seems like an item on reinsdorf's bucket list.

Then again Bruce Bochy or one of these other types would be perhaps also interested in a short-term grooming kind of role.

As long as it isn't Cora, Hinch, or Beltran and is someone with serious coaching experience that is on the younger side and has some real long-term potential to fill the role.  And as long as it is not some kid who has accomplished absolutely nothing of significance in MLB like Jirschele.  I'm not sure why Ozzie's kid doesn't get mention on here if we're going to consider people's kids with no business managing MLB players who some of the "mark" fans just like because they are young, new, and poindextery.

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

- Both Hinch or Cora would be great hires, he knows them both well, they embrace new school ideas and are good in-game managers.

- Thinks Cora is slightly better at development and could make more sense for Detroit, Hinch makes all the sense in the world for the Sox.

- LaRussa would literally be the worst decision they could make. He is SO far behind the times at this point. Thinks it’s more of an ownership favor than anything else. His time has passed and if the Sox make the move, it would be a tremendous step backwards. 

That last part is actually what he said, I didn’t paraphrase. 

I am surprised that we don't hear Joey Cora mentioned.  He was always credited with the well run Spring Training camps and was a solid third base and bench coach.  Probably too close to the Ozzie days but a somewhat interesting guy.

Just now, poppysox said:

I am surprised that we don't hear Joey Cora mentioned.  He was always credited with the well run Spring Training camps and was a solid third base and bench coach.  Probably too close to the Ozzie days but a somewhat interesting guy.

He's had several interviews with other organizations but has never been hired.  Not sure why.  

5 minutes ago, oneofthemikes said:

Maybe Nightengale saying "Right now, he's their number 1 candidate..." is simply because he's the only candidate they can officially speak to at the moment? 

Hinch - Suspended

Cora - Suspended

Cash (pipedream) - Playoffs

Espada - Playoffs

Quatraro - Playoffs

I think it's a fair question.  They have to do their due diligence, and that can't really happen yet for the reasons you've listed.

I think AJ Pierzynski has all of the qualities I would love to see in a manager, for the long haul, but his ego might be too big.  I think he would be a very smart game manager.

IMO, AJ as bench coach, MB as assistant pitching coach, and both are groomed to be manager and pitching coach.  I'm not sure MB would ever have the mind to manage but I bet he could be a great pitching coach, if he had any interest.

10 minutes ago, Tony said:

Richard Justice also said Hinch is the best manager he’s ever been around, relates to players better than anyone he’s been around, understands the game better than anyone. 

Also said the job is TLR if he wants it, he believes 

4 minutes ago, mqr said:

I refuse to believe they think that a geriatric is the right man to control a bunch of guys who wear 15 chains, almost totally unbuttoned shirts and take pride in getting under pitchers skins. 

Agreed. Analytics aside, TLR doesn't seem like he'd fit the personality of this team at all. 

14 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

I think AJ Pierzynski has all of the qualities I would love to see in a manager, for the long haul, but his ego might be too big.  I think he would be a very smart game manager.

IMO, AJ as bench coach, MB as assistant pitching coach, and both are groomed to be manager and pitching coach.  I'm not sure MB would ever have the mind to manage but I bet he could be a great pitching coach, if he had any interest.

Except for the whole being able to relate to people thing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Lets take the fan part of out it.  What exactly about AJ says he is a good manager.  he was a catcher?  He played on the white sox?  He is on tv?  I mean this constant memberberry stuff that sox fans have of bringing back former players is what guys like JR count on.  MB is a great pitching coach, why?  Because he was a good pitcher.   Robin Ventura was one of the best white sox players and most clutch hitters I can remember.  He was great defensively and if the game was on the line he was one of the guys I wanted up at the plate.  He was a horrible horrible horrible manager.  Let me break it down for you    great player != great manager    Some of the better managers were terrible players.  

• Love 1

People should just accept this as real and stop throwing the smokescreen stuff out there. It’s a defense mechanism. I had to sit here and read that SD and Machado or the Sox low offer we’re smokescreens and he’s definitely coming to Chicago. I had to read that Zack Wheeler’s interest in Philly was a smokescreen. I don’t think there are as many smokescreens in the media as we think. This is the Angels MLB beat writer confirming that they got permission to interview La Russa. If this is a smokescreen, it’s a freaking elaborate one. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Chisoxfn locked and unlocked this topic