Tony La Russa named Manager

YourWhatHurts

8 hours ago, greg775 said:

Damned if you do regarding analytics; damned if you don't. Just.Win.Baby. Remember Ned Yost will always be remembered as a WS winning manager. People thought he was a veritable clown for a long long time. Just.Win.Baby.

So was Ozzie. Not sure Ned fits the "just win baby "category. In 16 years, Ned lost more games than he won and only had 2 postseason appearances.   

4 hours ago, SCCWS said:

So was Ozzie. Not sure Ned fits the "just win baby "category. In 16 years, Ned lost more games than he won and only had 2 postseason appearances.   

I was hoping to imply managers are way overrated. True you don't want somebody bunting all the time, or playing Sunday lineups all the time and conceding games like Ozz did at the end, , but frankly, it wasn't RR's fault that Robert became human and Eloy got hurt again and my guy, Jose, made outs instead of bashing with men on base vs. the A's. Or that the Sox had just two starting pitchers at the end, etc.

I'd take LaRussa and be done with it. He can manage as well as most any of 'em. Of course you are risking the clubhouse, but we didn't care about the good clubhouse we had with RR, right?

Edited by greg775

12 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I was hoping to imply managers are way overrated. True you don't want somebody bunting all the time, or playing Sunday lineups all the time and conceding games like Ozz did at the end, , but frankly, it wasn't RR's fault that Robert became human and Eloy got hurt again and my guy, Jose, made outs instead of bashing with men on base vs. the A's. Or that the Sox had just two starting pitchers at the end, etc.

I'd take LaRussa and be done with it. He can manage as well as most any of 'em. Of course you are risking the clubhouse, but we didn't care about the good clubhouse we had with RR, right?

I've said it for a while, but Jose doesn't have the clutch gene. 

I still LOL at everyone who rips Dave Roberts. 3 world series appearances in 5 years as a manager. I don't care how good your roster is - doing that year in and year out is impressive.  Not to mention fact he is just really good, use of statistics, ability to manage his players, etc.  Like any manager, you can nit pick, but Sox couldn't have been luckier than if Roberts somehow landed on the open market.

Anything is possible - but I've followed and watched Dodgers enough to know Roberts is hands down a darn good manager and would just be a stellar fit.  Highly unlikely the Dodgers move another direction - especially now that his team just came back to beat the Braves after being down 3-1.  

But if Roberts were free - he would be by far and away my runaway pick.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I still LOL at everyone who rips Dave Roberts. 3 world series appearances in 5 years as a manager. I don't care how good your roster is - doing that year in and year out is impressive.  Not to mention fact he is just really good, use of statistics, ability to manage his players, etc.  Like any manager, you can nit pick, but Sox couldn't have been luckier than if Roberts somehow landed on the open market.

Anything is possible - but I've followed and watched Dodgers enough to know Roberts is hands down a darn good manager and would just be a stellar fit.  Highly unlikely the Dodgers move another direction - especially now that his team just came back to beat the Braves after being down 3-1.  

But if Roberts were free - he would be by far and away my runaway pick.  

I know at first I had mentioned that Roberts kind of reminded me of RR but after some thought, his managerial style is different and he check marks everything Hahn is looking for. He would most likely be that manager that would lead the team to a championship right now. He’s got an impressive resume and it seems like the players love playing for him. He would also help recruit Joc to the Sox. I would be all for it but I agree let’s see if the Dodgers move another direction. That’s a tough one.

Edited by maloney.adam

On 10/17/2020 at 5:43 PM, Chicago White Sox said:

I get your frustration with our past hiring processes as I hated them too.  But so far, Hahn has said all the right things and has implied there will be candidates from some of the playoff teams.  I fully expect a couple more guys to be interviewed in addition to TLR & Hinch.

I have an article on this dropping tomorrow. There are multiple candidates for this opening. 

5 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

New name from Jimmy via Peter Gammons.

Dont know if this one makes sense. And his recent championship experience?  His managerial experience at all.  The time to hire guys who are learning on the job was about 3 years ago.  

13 hours ago, Tony said:

In my opinion, you can’t hire a manager with zero experience. You have to hire someone that is objectively better than Ricky. I know everyone will make jokes, but you also understand what I mean. You have to hire someone that has been in the big games before. That’s the main and only reason you gave for moving on from Ricky. 

I have no problem bringing on a manager with no experience like the Twins did with Rocco. But you can’t do it with this hire. It just doesn’t make any sense 

Ok I’ll ask. One paragraph you say you can’t hire someone with zero experience, then the next you say you have no problem bringing in someone with no experience. Can you clarify what you’re saying because I’m lost?

1 hour ago, Tony said:

I'm saying in certain cases, like the Twins in 2018...you can bring on a manager with no actual experience like a Rocco Baldelli (I know he did a little coaching in Tampa) or someone like Craig Counsell with the Brewers. I can get behind that concept depending on where the team currently stands and what expectations are over the next 3-4 seasons. 

For the White Sox in 2020, you can't bring in someone with zero experience managing. You fired Ricky because of how he handled the team down the stretch in a playoff race, and how he handled in-game decisions during the series with the A's. Because those were the issues you fired Ricky for........you need to bring someone in that is strong in those areas. And there is simply no way to know if someone like Sam Fuld is capable of managing under pressure. Given the Sox roster and their aspirations over the next few years, you don't have the luxury of finding out. The hire has to be a veteran manager. 

FWIW, depending on what is meant by "No experience", I'd be ok with a manager with no experience here if he had the right temperament. Ricky Renteria's problem, IMO, was best illustrated in 2019, when he was asked a normal question about how he took analytics into account while making decisions by the press, and responded "F*** you!". He didn't just refuse to take external opinions or information into account in any decision making, he was stridently opposed to hearing other opinions if they came from someone he didn't like, and we saw that this year as the bullpen management got more and more absurd. 

Any manager is going to make calls that don't work. I want someone who learns from it when it happens. If that's someone who hasn't managed a big league team before, I'm ok with that. I might be a little curious if they've never been a bench coach or anything, but I'll have an open mind until proven otherwise.

If you want my "for god's sake don't do this", it's trying to hire a person who doesn't even want the job, Ventura-style. Please for God's sake don't do that again.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

It’s interesting to see Dave Roberts pull Gonsolin after 1.1 innings in the World Series after our game 3 discussion.

I don't think that Roberts is a above average manager at all, Particularly regarding managing a pitching staff.

14 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I'm tired of old geezers

Now is not the time to give experience to a new manager, hoping that their in game decision making and clubhouse management will be effective.  Assuming we fill a couple of needs this off season this team should be ready to start making serious runs in the post season.  They need a manager who has been there multiple times.  Often, those managers will be geezers.

Edited by ThirdGen

• Chisoxfn locked and unlocked this topic