YourWhatHurts

Managerial Candidates List

Pretty slow day so far.  No tweets or rumblings. I’m surprised that good Ole Bob doesn’t have anything to add. Maybe a sign things are calming down a bit.

Edited by maloney.adam

I kinda agree with Chisoxfn on a couple points but also still do not want La Russa because of the odds the following will not happen.

I think some of the talk around "analytics" is embarrassing. People talk about it as if its a gene pool you are either a part of or not. To me there are problems with La Russa's age, but the bigger issue of La Russa era managers isn't use of analytics by them, it's control. If LaRussa comes in expecting to be the full manager of all on-field decisions, that's the problem.

If Tony LaRussa wants to join as a manager that is just a cog in the wheel of the decisionmaking and player development that happens with our players, that could be fine. He could hold players accountable and coaches accountable for following through on the direction set forth by management, PD and La Russa himself and that would be fine. Coaches more capable with technology can be in charge with implementing it and being responsible for teaching the players. La Russa wasn't going to be doing infield practice with the guys anyway.

An older manager could certainly do the above if they wanted to and he could very well be successful. I think he would manage the bullpen well. But the likelihood is TLR would get in the way of inputs from management and bring a staff that is less likely to use modern PD tools.

But he's old school and can't use analytics I think is ageism, honestly. THe issue is control. If he accepts that the use of technology as a teaching mechanism is important to the org adn the way it needs to go and is in charge of having people work on that, and that the front office, pd staff is a part of on field decisions, then he could be great.

But if he thinks he'll be the superstar manager of past, that owns the field and can tell the FO to get out of his way, that's not a good idea. If he was hired and we heard the above of what I pointed out above I'd be fine with the hire. He clearly has the ability to get a lot out of his players and can use his experience to prepare them mentally for the grind and expectations. But if he wants all of it, no thanks.

Obviously, that's where a Hinch or Quatraro, who are used to those expectations and know what to look for in coaches teaching players with technology, are ideal. You know what you are getting.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Pretty slow day so far.  No tweets or rumblings. I’m surprised that good Ole Bob doesn’t have anything to add. Maybe a sign things are calming down a bit.

People are saying that a deal is basically done with Hinch and they're just waiting to announce it.

All of this other chatter is probably just noise.

3 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

People are saying that a deal is basically done with Hinch and they're just waiting to announce it.

All of this other chatter is probably just noise.

Makes sense.

The general vibe of this feels a lot like when news leaked that the Bulls were going to keep Jim Boylen early after AK took over  and then went and signed Billy Donovan (Not comparing TLR to Boylen at all).  I am hoping this is more of the same and that we eventually make a signing we are happy with.

Sign me up for Bochy.  Winner of three actual World Series trophies and zero fake ones.  Not really all that old.  Seems perfect to me.

• Like 2

I still think it's Hinch. Especially after some of the tweets from Steve Stone over the last few days and his specific denials of everyone but Hinch (or LaRussa too). Plus, I think Steve is in the know whether his source are whitesox people or Hinch himself.  And Keuchel seems to be pretty excited too.

Edited by smellysox

IMO the TLR play was orchestrated brilliantly. Get the fan base confused, angry, talking about a 76 year old guy to deflect off the fact that they already have a deal in place with Hinch or a complete dark horse here that nobody is mentioning and everyone will be cool with. 

To move a polarizing figure like Hinch into the PR refresh he needs...throw another polarizing figure as an option for everyone to loudly oppose. Step 1 of recovery clears a hurdle. Plus, it makes Jerry feel like he helped a friend. If Kenny or RH orchestrated this...BRAVO. I tend to think PR people had to come up with this idea though, it's too smart. 

Edited by EloyJenkins
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

IMO the TLR play was orchestrated brilliantly. Get the fan base confused, angry, talking about a 76 year old guy to deflect off the fact that they already have a deal in place with Hinch or a complete dark horse here that nobody is mentioning and everyone will be cool with. 

To move a polarizing figure like Hinch into the PR refresh he needs...throw another polarizing figure as an option for everyone to loudly oppose. Step 1 of recovery clears a hurdle. Plus, it makes Jerry feel like he helped a friend. If Kenny or RH orchestrated this...BRAVO. I tend to think PR people had to come up with this idea though, it's too smart. 

This is actually what I think is happening as well. 

41 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

I agree. I feel that this is what’s happening too. Until I see all the national guys comment on this that we are interviewing La Russa and it’s his job to lose than I think this all chatter from our PR department. I haven’t seen any rumblings or tweets from the national guys on this. Only from good ole Bob.

Edited by maloney.adam

26 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

I’d agree if we’re talking about a dark horse.  But I don’t think floating the name of a guy who hasn’t managed in years is going to do much to make people forget that Hinch is fresh off a suspension for presiding over the biggest cheating scandal in a century.  

13 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

I’d agree if we’re talking about a dark horse.  But I don’t think floating the name of a guy who hasn’t managed in years is going to do much to make people forget that Hinch is fresh off a suspension for presiding over the biggest cheating scandal in a century.  

It does when you make it APPEAR the only two options were Hinch and an old outdated horrible option.. People will be fine with Hunch then.

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The perfect managerial candidate isn’t out there. Each has his strong points and each has flaws. Don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good. Hire the best of the good. Most of you will be upset with anyone hired until the a Sox win. Don’t celebrate if you’re mad. Life goes on</p>&mdash; Steve Stone (@stevestone) <a href="https://twitter.com/stevestone/status/1316769729101459456?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 15, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

????

Bernstein this morning focused on this article by Passan in 2016 on La Russa. Say what you will about Bernstein but this does hold weight with someone like Tim on the team and Giolito who is outspoken on his politics. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/the-hypocrisy-of-tony-la-russa-and-the-understandable-fears-of-black-baseball-players-045857175.html

9 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Sorry I was trying to embed a Stone tweet. It didn't work lol. What he said was spot on though. 

No worries! I figured it out. It’s definitely spot on. It sounds like he may already know who they are hiring.

I'd rather have TLR than Hinch. Ugh.

Hopefully neither and we get someone who could actually command the respect of their clubhouse. 

Edited by DashFan

3 minutes ago, DashFan said:

I'd rather have TLR than Hinch. Ugh.

Hopefully neither and we get someone who could actually command the respect of their clubhouse. 

Like Rick Renteria?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Exactly. You'd have to be crazy to think LaRussa would become the manager. Why in heavens name would anyone think the Sox PR department came up with this ? If they hire Hinch there is going to be some blow back regardless. Talking about LaRussa ahead of the hiring will do nothing to dissaude that. Is the PR department really in the business of trying to manipulate public opinion or deflect/distract attention away from the hiring of a controversial choice as manager ? What if Hinch isn't hired and its someone from the Rays ? You can throw that theory out the window then.

Just now, fathom said:

Stoney went from saying everyone will love the pick to saying people won’t be happy....yikes

Lots of people won't be happy with AJ Hinch, so it lines up with that narrative. I'm hoping we get Hinch.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Exactly. You'd have to be crazy to think LaRussa would become the manager. Why in heavens name would anyone think the Sox PR department came up with this ? If they hire Hinch there is going to be some blow back regardless. Talking about LaRussa ahead of the hiring will do nothing to dissaude that. Is the PR department really in the business of trying to manipulate public opinion or deflect/distract attention away from the hiring of a controversial choice as manager ? What if Hinch isn't hired and its someone from the Rays ? You can throw that theory out the window then.

Isn’t that exactly what a PR departments job is? Trying to make an organization look good to the public?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Stoney went from saying everyone will love the pick to saying people won’t be happy....yikes

Are you basing your statement on this tweet? Because if you are, your interpretation is a STRETCH.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1