YourWhatHurts

Managerial Candidates List

2 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Well, when someone show you who they are through their actions, you should believe them.

There hasn't been anything of a comparative and competitive process since Ozzie was hired 17 years ago. The last time there was a need for a manager while the team was thought to be competitive, it was a one man, three question "search " that included ONLY Ventura.

I certainly hope youre correct that there will be more than a 2 man search. But so far, we've heard nothing to that effect.

I get your frustration with our past hiring processes as I hated them too.  But so far, Hahn has said all the right things and has implied there will be candidates from some of the playoff teams.  I fully expect a couple more guys to be interviewed in addition to TLR & Hinch.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Bochy is such an obvious potential choice I can't imagine how little his name is brought up.  He and John Farrell should be definitely interviewed if we are serious about a true interview process.

Why John Farrell?

42 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why John Farrell?

7 or 8 years of managerial experience including a World Series win in 2013.  That Boston team went from last to first in 2013 and of course, he won manager of the year.  An overall winning record and tough as nail reputation.  Good enough to be hired by Dave Dombrowski who gets good managers IMO.  Most importantly not a hint of scandal.  

Edited by poppysox
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, poppysox said:

7 or 8 years of managerial experience including a World Series win in 2013.  That Boston team went from last to first in 2013 and of course, he won manager of the year.  An overall winning record and tough as nail reputation.  Good enough to be hired by Dave Dombrowski who gets good managers IMO.  Most importantly not a hint of scandal.

Farrell's not necessarily a bad thought. I might actually prefer him to TLR or Hinch.

However, specific to this club, I'd rather have a former catcher as the next manager. Not so much because of the adage of "catchers make the best managers," but rather, that the SOX are about to lose a strong performer at the position.

Also, there have been some questions about Grandal's performances, from the game calling angle, as well as his ability to mesh with Giolito. Lastly, we're likely to see either Collins or Yermin as a backup, and I think it could be profitable to give them every chance to succeed.

I could see Bochy or Alomar as being beneficial to the SOX in this regard as manager.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

13 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Farrell's not necessarily a bad thought. I might actually prefer him to TLR or Hinch.

However, specific to this club, I'd rather have a former catcher as the next manager. Not so much because of the adage of "catchers make the best managers," but rather, that the SOX are about to lose a strong performer at the position.

Also, there have been some questions about Grandal's performances, from the game calling angle, as well as his ability to mesh with Giolito. Lastly, we're likely to see either Collins or Yermin as a backup, and I think it could be profitable to give them every chance to succeed.

I could see Bochy or Alomar as being beneficial to the SOX in this regard as manager.

I'm big on catchers as well.  After all my fandom started with Lopez.  That is part of why Bochy has been my #1 choice.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, poppysox said:

After all my fandom started with Lopez.

Lopez?

13 hours ago, nitetrain8601 said:

No. As someone who follows the Dodgers religiously, Roberts is the absolute wrong guy to bring in. He's awful and I was pissed they gave him an extension when they did. He cost them the World Series against the Red Sox by sitting his best bats in favor of analytics. The man would've sat Trout if he hit righties at a .290 clip as opposed to a .291 clip against lefties. 

He's awful. He doesn't deserve to manage. Bench coach at best. And that's stretching it.

Damned if you do regarding analytics; damned if you don't. Just.Win.Baby. Remember Ned Yost will always be remembered as a WS winning manager. People thought he was a veritable clown for a long long time. Just.Win.Baby.

8 hours ago, greg775 said:

Damned if you do regarding analytics; damned if you don't. Just.Win.Baby. Remember Ned Yost will always be remembered as a WS winning manager. People thought he was a veritable clown for a long long time. Just.Win.Baby.

So was Ozzie. Not sure Ned fits the "just win baby "category. In 16 years, Ned lost more games than he won and only had 2 postseason appearances.   

4 hours ago, SCCWS said:

So was Ozzie. Not sure Ned fits the "just win baby "category. In 16 years, Ned lost more games than he won and only had 2 postseason appearances.   

I was hoping to imply managers are way overrated. True you don't want somebody bunting all the time, or playing Sunday lineups all the time and conceding games like Ozz did at the end, , but frankly, it wasn't RR's fault that Robert became human and Eloy got hurt again and my guy, Jose, made outs instead of bashing with men on base vs. the A's. Or that the Sox had just two starting pitchers at the end, etc.

I'd take LaRussa and be done with it. He can manage as well as most any of 'em. Of course you are risking the clubhouse, but we didn't care about the good clubhouse we had with RR, right?

Edited by greg775

12 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I was hoping to imply managers are way overrated. True you don't want somebody bunting all the time, or playing Sunday lineups all the time and conceding games like Ozz did at the end, , but frankly, it wasn't RR's fault that Robert became human and Eloy got hurt again and my guy, Jose, made outs instead of bashing with men on base vs. the A's. Or that the Sox had just two starting pitchers at the end, etc.

I'd take LaRussa and be done with it. He can manage as well as most any of 'em. Of course you are risking the clubhouse, but we didn't care about the good clubhouse we had with RR, right?

I've said it for a while, but Jose doesn't have the clutch gene. 

1 minute ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

I've said it for a while, but Jose doesn't have the clutch gene. 

I won't take the bait. See past greg comments. I hold no ill will for him for being human. MVP.

13 hours ago, hi8is said:

Ah, not familiar.

1959 White Sox Manager that won the pennant that year but lost to the Dodgers in the World Series. 19 year MLB career as a catcher 1928-1947 . 2 time All Star . Got some MVP votes in 7 different seasons though never finished higher than 10th.

I still LOL at everyone who rips Dave Roberts. 3 world series appearances in 5 years as a manager. I don't care how good your roster is - doing that year in and year out is impressive.  Not to mention fact he is just really good, use of statistics, ability to manage his players, etc.  Like any manager, you can nit pick, but Sox couldn't have been luckier than if Roberts somehow landed on the open market.

Anything is possible - but I've followed and watched Dodgers enough to know Roberts is hands down a darn good manager and would just be a stellar fit.  Highly unlikely the Dodgers move another direction - especially now that his team just came back to beat the Braves after being down 3-1.  

But if Roberts were free - he would be by far and away my runaway pick.  

39 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I still LOL at everyone who rips Dave Roberts. 3 world series appearances in 5 years as a manager. I don't care how good your roster is - doing that year in and year out is impressive.  Not to mention fact he is just really good, use of statistics, ability to manage his players, etc.  Like any manager, you can nit pick, but Sox couldn't have been luckier than if Roberts somehow landed on the open market.

Anything is possible - but I've followed and watched Dodgers enough to know Roberts is hands down a darn good manager and would just be a stellar fit.  Highly unlikely the Dodgers move another direction - especially now that his team just came back to beat the Braves after being down 3-1.  

But if Roberts were free - he would be by far and away my runaway pick.  

I know at first I had mentioned that Roberts kind of reminded me of RR but after some thought, his managerial style is different and he check marks everything Hahn is looking for. He would most likely be that manager that would lead the team to a championship right now. He’s got an impressive resume and it seems like the players love playing for him. He would also help recruit Joc to the Sox. I would be all for it but I agree let’s see if the Dodgers move another direction. That’s a tough one.

Edited by maloney.adam