Tony La Russa named Manager

YourWhatHurts

11 minutes ago, bmags said:

Had not seen the part about the FO and Ricky after sox retaliated against Contreras.

That was interesting. I'm also surprised that the author of that piece didn't say that Sandy Alomar was a candidate. Perhaps, even though he retired as a player not very long ago, he's considered  "old school" and not analytical enough. I just hope that Hahn doesn't get too carried away with analytics in his quest for a manager. To me, that stuff can be handled by a coach and staff. The biggest thing to me about being a manager is handling the clubhouse along with setting clear yet fair rules and making sure that everyone is on the same page. Renteria had some very good qualities but he just did not know how to manage a pitching staff to my satisfaction and it was obvious at the end that Cooper was frustrated by his own inability to "coach up" the new breed of pitching talent that was contending against the newer breeds of launch angle hitters.

56 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Yeah they apparently weren't pleased. 

Definitely seemed to be a sign of straining to find anything to get the team to rally around, but unfortunately it went against everything the culture the players were trying to build in the league.

(also I gotta say you could probably create quite a bit of buzz by pulling that out and promoting it, but I respect if you think that would blow things out of proportion)

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Yeah they apparently weren't pleased. 

I am glad to hear that. Goes against everything we are trying to promote. Also why give away a free base just get back at him? Throwing something at somebody because they “showed you up” is very childish. Plus that was an epic bat flip. Baseball needs more of those. Also a better way to “get them back” would be having a bigger better bat flip... 

4 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I wrote about the manager search for today and some of the actual candidates: https://www.southsidesox.com/2020/10/22/21524486/white-sox-job-a-desirable-destination-for-managerial-candidates

Dude, what a fantastic fucking article.  Hands down the best piece on the manager hunt that I’ve come across and that’s saying something given how many beat writers follow the team.  Well done and definitely keep it up!  It’s nice to see SSS restore some of its past glory!

4 hours ago, bmags said:

Had not seen the part about the FO and Ricky after sox retaliated against Contreras.

I still don't think it was just due to the bat flip.  The series before that one Contreras was jawing and acting like a 7 year old.  He was also probably one of the ones continually screaming like little league players from the dugout.  It was obnoxious hearing it on TV, so I'm sure the Sox were sick of that shit too.  The bat flip was just the straw that broke the camels back.  It was probably more from what was said the series before and the Cubs bench acting like fucking children and they just had enough of it.  I could be wrong, but a simple bat flip doesn't seem like the thing that Ricky would have someone plunked for, all things considered.

6 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Dude, what a fantastic fucking article.  Hands down the best piece on the manager hunt that I’ve come across and that’s saying something given how many beat writers follow the team.  Well done and definitely keep it up!  It’s nice to see SSS restore some of its past glory!

Thanks for reading man. I appreciate it 

• Like 1

On 10/22/2020 at 8:54 AM, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I wrote about the manager search for today and some of the actual candidates: https://www.southsidesox.com/2020/10/22/21524486/white-sox-job-a-desirable-destination-for-managerial-candidates

Fuld and Geren are interesting to me and I hope either or both end up in the organization even if not as manager this time around.

On 10/21/2020 at 12:39 PM, Tony said:

I'm saying in certain cases, like the Twins in 2018...you can bring on a manager with no actual experience like a Rocco Baldelli (I know he did a little coaching in Tampa) or someone like Craig Counsell with the Brewers. I can get behind that concept depending on where the team currently stands and what expectations are over the next 3-4 seasons. 

For the White Sox in 2020, you can't bring in someone with zero experience managing. You fired Ricky because of how he handled the team down the stretch in a playoff race, and how he handled in-game decisions during the series with the A's. Because those were the issues you fired Ricky for........you need to bring someone in that is strong in those areas. And there is simply no way to know if someone like Sam Fuld is capable of managing under pressure. Given the Sox roster and their aspirations over the next few years, you don't have the luxury of finding out. The hire has to be a veteran manager. 

I think Ricky got sacked for losing it with the umpires during that bad stretch, more than anything else.  He wasn't a steady hand at the wheel when they needed one.  And you're right about a veteran.  Bochy is the obvious answer to me.

11 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

If We only had a coach like Dave ROberts we WOULDA BEEN so much better:

I'm  out here in LA LA Land and have many Dodger fan friends. I kept saying that the Dodgers blow it every year because they never have gotten a closer worth a crap. Not to mention Dave Roberts is a putz. 

Roberts tells Baez he's done after the 6th. Then changed his mind after he already sat and relaxed and put him back out there lol

• Chisoxfn locked and unlocked this topic