Tony La Russa named Manager

YourWhatHurts

1 minute ago, mqr said:

I'm of the belief the players threw Hinch under the bus. BUT, that is in itself a huge issue. 

With the incentives that MLB put out there for the players to not get in trouble for this, I feel the same way.  Doesn't mean he wasn't a part of things, but this was definitely engineered for the players to not pay for anything.

1 minute ago, mqr said:

I'm of the belief the players threw Hinch under the bus. BUT, that is in itself a huge issue. 

There are fair points on the cheating scandal, but Hahn has to address those in the interview process. What it boils down to for me is that you hire the best person available and I think that is Hinch, going off of what Stone has said.

1 minute ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Boo hoo. You don't think anybody deserves a 2nd chance? Should we stray away from any player who has been caught roiding as well? That's a poor way to construct a club. You limit yourself too much.

People make mistakes and they learn. You hire Hinch if he is the best candidate out there, no question.

The guy was a shit hire in Arizona and then he was put onto the Astros club that was already a top contender in the AL with an excellent farm system and guys still coming up the pipeline, and plus back then they had a lot of payroll room to play with because their core was making very little in salary.  He "won" with that team like he was a spare part.  There are tons of managers that could have "won" with that team, especially if they allowed cheating to go on.  I mean do you really believe that Dusty Baker, or Gene Lamont or Jerry Manuel for instance couldn't have won a title with one of those Astros teams?

What makes this guy such a great manager?  Same with Alex Cora, who was IIRC a rookie manager.  These guys don't have the tenure.  And it's funny how players like Omar Vizquel get shat upon so easily but then someone who follows analytics is loved so easily.  

There are definitely many better guys for the job.  Maybe get into that A's or Rays pipeline, ask guys like Joe Maddon and Davey Martinez for references, etc.  There will be better options for sure.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

You'd think all the people concerned about integrity would have stopped watching before this season considered we signed Dallas Keuchel. 

No, you wouldn't really think.  Dallas Keuchel was not the leader of the team that cheated its way to a tainted title.  It's rational to be troubled by a signing of a player like that, but be much more troubled by the prospect of hiring Hinch.

1 minute ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

No, you wouldn't really think.  Dallas Keuchel was not the leader of the team that cheated its way to a tainted title.  It's rational to be troubled by a signing of a player like that, but be much more troubled by the prospect of hiring Hinch.

Dallas was the veteran cy young winner on the team. After his display of leadership on the Sox, I find it hard to believe he wasn't a leader there.

5 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

You'd think all the people concerned about integrity would have stopped watching before this season considered we signed Dallas Keuchel. 

Front office personnel and coaching staff members get replaced in sports, not the players.  The players are the engine and the parts that make the machine move.  The rest are supposed to lead the players into the right direction.  When you fail as hard as Hinch did you just absolutely suck and fail at what you are supposed to be doing, and then you should absolutely be replaced, because there's nothing you're good at anymore.

IMO here's the story on Hinch: "I'm AJ Hinch.  I want to be a manager.  I hope my team respects me.  Well it doesn't appear I have a lot of pull.  I'll shut my mouth and keep it shut.  I'll make some suggestions maybe when the moment feels acceptable, but I won't tell my players what to do.  They won't listen to me anyway.  I am barely hanging on as a manager.  I am one fire away from being a permanent bench coach or lesser.  I like having a paycheck.  I'll shut my mouth."  

Great hire.  He can go fuck him self with a broomstick.  Meanwhile, the players will continue on under different forms of leadership because that is how sports work.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

He doesn't fit all the criteria but my vote goes to...

Mike Scioscia

43 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

I remember how Soscia used to outmanage Ozzie every time we played the Angels.  He's old school but the time off of managing I think may have refreshed him.  He will probably be open to all the analytics etc anyway, and he will likely insist on a real smart bench coach to help him.  It's a 4-star or 5-star hire IMO.

PLEASE NO HINCH OR CORA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think you know enough about Scioscia then. There was a really good article about how he and the previous GM (then Seattle's GM) had a power struggle because he refused to look at analytics. He would get them and literally throw them out. The article goes into detail about how he cost his team a playoff run because of it.

7 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

The guy was a shit hire in Arizona and then he was put onto the Astros club that was already a top contender in the AL with an excellent farm system and guys still coming up the pipeline, and plus back then they had a lot of payroll room to play with because their core was making very little in salary

Seems like he could do just fine with the White Sox lol

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Smart Ball Sox said:

I like the idea of Francona.  I wonder if Cleveland was happy with Alomar at the helm this past season.  Plus, Cleveland is always cutting costs

Just read an interview with Francona on Cleveland.com.  He's coming back to Cleveland.  Only reason he wouldn't is if his health worsens.  He had blood clots, multiple surgeries and still needs a hip replacement but is delaying it because of the blood clots.  With what Hahn said about this manager committing to the entirety of the window, even if he were available, it would not be Francona.  I'm expecting someone much younger/healthier.

7 minutes ago, nitetrain8601 said:

I don't think you know enough about Scioscia then. There was a really good article about how he and the previous GM (then Seattle's GM) had a power struggle because he refused to look at analytics. He would get them and literally throw them out. The article goes into detail about how he cost his team a playoff run because of it.

They didn't see eye to eye - I don't know that Mike didn't leverage analytics, he just didn't want to be told by the front office and the GM about what he needed to do with them. I think it was broader than just Mike not accepting analytics. That said - he certainly has a much heavier lean towards being a pure baseball guy vs. a pure analytics guy.  His run with the Angels ended badly, but the Angels have struggled for a while under Arte Moreno and Mike was never calling the shots when it came to the guys they signed to big money FA contracts.  Very rarely did anyone ever look at a Scioscia managed team and think that the team underachieved.  

He is an interesting name, but I doubt he'll get his next change with this Sox squad.  I think Mike would be a more likely fit with the Tigers or somewhere else and that is if he even wants to get back into it. Would be a guy worth chatting with though - after as long of a run managing as he had, it would be interesting to see the perspectives he's gained from a few years being out of the game.  

• Like 1

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

They didn't see eye to eye - I don't know that Mike didn't leverage analytics, he just didn't want to be told by the front office and the GM about what he needed to do with them. I think it was broader than just Mike not accepting analytics. That said - he certainly has a much heavier lean towards being a pure baseball guy vs. a pure analytics guy.  His run with the Angels ended badly, but the Angels have struggled for a while under Arte Moreno and Mike was never calling the shots when it came to the guys they signed to big money FA contracts.  Very rarely did anyone ever look at a Scioscia managed team and think that the team underachieved.  

He is an interesting name, but I doubt he'll get his next change with this Sox squad.  I think Mike would be a more likely fit with the Tigers or somewhere else and that is if he even wants to get back into it. Would be a guy worth chatting with though - after as long of a run managing as he had, it would be interesting to see the perspectives he's gained from a few years being out of the game.  

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I really would like to hear the perspective on Mike from someone who saw a lot more of him.  I only saw him vs. the Sox but I was always impressed (and not happy) how he would straight out-manage Ozzie.  It was like a chess game Ozzie kept losing, and I actually thought Ozzie was a pretty decent game manager.

I do think he may be a pro-analytics guy perhaps if it was framed to him in the appropriate way.  Who knows?  But he is not the kind of guy that wants a poindexter stepping on his toes and telling him what to do, and I actually like that in a manager.  As long as he is good.  And I think the lack of pitching mostly on those Angels teams hurt them a lot more than any manager ever could have.

Regarding Scioscia, I think if the Sox are saying the game has passed Coop by and Hahn name checks Rocco Baldelli, the chances that they're going to hire Scioscia or Showalter or someone like that are negligible.  But, I've been wrong before.

Edited by Timmy U

Just now, Timmy U said:

Regarding Scioscia, I think if the Sox are saying the game has passed Coop by and Hahn name checks Rocco Baldelli, the chances that they're going to hire Sciocia or Showalter or someone like that are negligible.  But, I've been wrong before.

I agree - I think Scioscia goes to a team in rebuild mode vs. a team like the Sox and even than I don't know whether Mike is interested in managing anymore. Part of it may just be because he had a long run calling the shots and in the new era that flexibility rarely exists.  I imagine they are going to move pretty swiftly in hiring a replacement.  

9 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

6 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I really would like to hear the perspective on Mike from someone who saw a lot more of him.  I only saw him vs. the Sox but I was always impressed (and not happy) how he would straight out-manage Ozzie.  It was like a chess game Ozzie kept losing, and I actually thought Ozzie was a pretty decent game manager.

I do think he may be a pro-analytics guy perhaps if it was framed to him in the appropriate way.  Who knows?  But he is not the kind of guy that wants a poindexter stepping on his toes and telling him what to do, and I actually like that in a manager.  As long as he is good.  And I think the lack of pitching mostly on those Angels teams hurt them a lot more than any manager ever could have.

https://grantland.com/the-triangle/mlb-mike-scoscia-jerry-dipoto-los-angeles-angels-resignation/

Here is one article on it

• Chisoxfn locked and unlocked this topic