Tony La Russa named Manager

YourWhatHurts

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

I'm really hoping (and believe) this is maybe some sort of favor to Tony, from Jerry. 

I just can't imagine the Sox having the presser they just had.....and then hiring a 100 year old Tony LaRussa. 

It goes against everything they discussed, so I’m not worried

It's Jerry doing a favor for La Russa, the Sox are hiring Hinch.

That Nightengale article is so bad, Bob truly is the worst around

“Ultimately, I think the best candidate or the ideal candidate,’’ Hahn said, “is going to be someone who has experience with a championship organization in recent years, recent October experience with a championship organization.’’

Yes, that’s Tony La Russa.

No, Bob, 2011 is not "recent", such fluff garbage.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Tony said:

I'm really hoping (and believe) this is maybe some sort of favor to Tony, from Jerry. 

I just can't imagine the Sox having the presser they just had.....and then hiring a 100 year old Tony LaRussa. 

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

It goes against everything they discussed, so I’m not worried

Tony La Russa is 76 years old, he's not managing the Sox next year.

Just look at the way that article is written, it's fluff to make it seem like La Russa isn't a decaying corpse, there's nothing critical about it, he's writing PR for Tony. It's a favor.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Doesn't fit with what RH said but I wish the other AJ would be considered.  He is a very smart baseball guy who really wants to win.

I think AJ has a future somewhere. I was saying it cause it wouldn't be farfetched as a sox move

12 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I was trying to agree with you.  I don't doubt that AJ Pierzynski would be a really fun manager for us.

Smart as heck, check.

Baseball smart as heck, check.

We all love the guy, check.

Has coaching experience, uh...

Likes working with young players, uh...

Maybe not.

• Like 2

Not sure if this has been posted or not yet but it’s from the USA Today,

“The White Sox plan to reach out to one of the greatest managers in baseball history, who managed his last game in 2011, who was inducted into the Hall of Fame six years ago, and who is 76 years old.

The name: Tony La Russa.”

La Russa has declined several managerial opportunities in the past, but this job opening, well, has him quite intrigued.”

”Certainly, the White Sox will interview more people than La Russa, with former Houston Astros manager A.J. Hinch sitting high atop their list. They have not shown interest inAlex Cora, who like Hinch, were suspended by Major League Baseball this past season for their roles in the 2017 Astros cheating scandal.”

Edited by hi8is

is there a precedent for what the timeline looks like after the season ends for when a new manager is hired? Will the interview process have already started? Do they have to wait until after the world series? Will a new manager be hired before December?

Just now, joesaiditstrue said:

is there a precedent for what the timeline looks like after the season ends for when a new manager is hired? Will the interview process have already started? Do they have to wait until after the world series? Will a new manager be hired before December?

Hinch (and Cora) are suspended until the World Series is over. They are not allowed in major league facilities, so where and how they can be communicated with now is unknown.  
But I’m sure the Sox will have a new manager press conference before Thanksgiving. 

1 hour ago, hi8is said:

Not sure if this has been posted or not yet but it’s from the USA Today,

“The White Sox plan to reach out to one of the greatest managers in baseball history, who managed his last game in 2011, who was inducted into the Hall of Fame six years ago, and who is 76 years old.

The name: Tony La Russa.”

La Russa has declined several managerial opportunities in the past, but this job opening, well, has him quite intrigued.”

”Certainly, the White Sox will interview more people than La Russa, with former Houston Astros manager A.J. Hinch sitting high atop their list. They have not shown interest inAlex Cora, who like Hinch, were suspended by Major League Baseball this past season for their roles in the 2017 Astros cheating scandal.”

If Tony has followed baseball since retiring I'd say go for it. He will not sit idly by. He'll tell Hahn and the stat people around him what he needs to sniff the WS. Tony will look at the pitching staff and laugh. He will demand an upgrade in RF. If Tony has not followed baseball closely we got to pass.

• Chisoxfn locked and unlocked this topic