Tony La Russa named Manager

YourWhatHurts

45 minutes ago, flavum said:

Hinch (and Cora) are suspended until the World Series is over. They are not allowed in major league facilities, so where and how they can be communicated with now is unknown.  
But I’m sure the Sox will have a new manager press conference before Thanksgiving. 

No timeline announced as people on their list may still be playing games according to Hahn today.

53 minutes ago, greg775 said:

If Tony has followed baseball since retiring I'd say go for it. He will not sit idly by. He'll tell Hahn and the stat people around him what he needs to sniff the WS. Tony will look at the pitching staff and laugh. He will demand an upgrade in RF. If Tony has not followed baseball closely we got to pass.

Last time I saw him interviewed I came away with the impression that his cognitive abilities were diminishing.

Not passionate about any specific individual, I'm confident CWS will get their man

I bet Hinch is the guy, but I could see Cora as well

Unpopular I'm sure, but I think I'd like Scioscia, even Ron Washington interests me, or even Joey Cora

My dream of a staff with Ozzie, AJ, etc. is over

La Russa seems like a smokescreen and Bochy doesn't seem legitimate

Let it be known I wanted Francona after Ozzie, things could have been different here

I’d guess Tim Bogar may get some run, was in the hunt for the Mets last year. Long time minor league manager and been around the staffs with Dave Martinez.

My top guy would be quatraro with the Rays. Indians were a much better hitting team when he was there, and long time run in TB.

55 minutes ago, bmags said:

I’d guess Tim Bogar may get some run, was in the hunt for the Mets last year. Long time minor league manager and been around the staffs with Dave Martinez.

My top guy would be quatraro with the Rays. Indians were a much better hitting team when he was there, and long time run in TB.

Why wouldn’t Cora be the primary target, with Spanish speaking being a huge plus?

I’m not really interested in any of the managers or bench coaches that are currently coaching in the playoffs other than maybe Kevin Cash, Matt Quatraro, or Joe Espada. Dusty Baker is alright but he has a history of blowing playoff games, as we know with the infamous Bartman game. Dave Roberts kind of reminds me of Ricky. I feel there’s just not that many names that are currently coaching in the playoffs that stand out and that fit the criteria Rick Hahn is looking for. Kevin Cash would be awesome but would we be able to pry him away from TB. I don’t think so. Matt Quatraro or Joe Espada would be great but I just don’t see us hiring a bench coach with more experienced managers available out there. 

Edited by maloney.adam

4 hours ago, fathom said:

Stone is adamantly responding no to the idea of Alomar

Good. He doesn’t strike me as a guy who can get a team over the hump. The Sox had the opportunity to go into the rebuild with him and chose RR over him. If it’s my decision it’s Hinch or Espada.   

All the best managers recently were largely first time managers as it's moved from getting someone who knows baseball to letting the FO handle that and get a guy the players trust and respect.

The superstar manager is dead, sox don't need one. If they really want previous experience, LAD bench coach Bob Geren who has held the role for the WS appearing mets and now dodgers after an unsuccessful run as As manager during the 07-11 years.

But I stand by wanting Quatraro.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Tampa's Dave Cash is a hot item now, but when Tampa first hired him, he was not.  He grew into the job.

That can happen but you don't fire the manager of a playoff team to hire a guy who might or might not grow into the job. 

Hahn will want a guy that he is 90 percent sure that it will work, no time for experiments now as the clock on the window is ticking. 

That likely means a veteran, Tampa is in a much different situation as they are Pretty Cash strapped and won't spend 3-4mil a year on a manager. 

3 minutes ago, Bad Hombre said:

Giving a near championship ready team to a first time manager just because he is a fan favorite would be a failure by Hahn.  I loved Ventura the player.  I didn't love Ventura the manager.  There is too much at stake here to experiment.  

• Like 2

• Chisoxfn locked and unlocked this topic