Tony La Russa named Manager

YourWhatHurts

So I actually kinda love the idea of Hinch with AJP as a bench coach. This team already has some of that chip-on-the-shoulder, us against the world mentality and I think that having that coaching staff would immediately make us the heels of the ALC. I know that I'm about to get dragged for this and that's ok, but I think it'd be fun to be the bad guys.

Edited by oneofthemikes

2 minutes ago, oneofthemikes said:

So I actually kinda love the idea of Hinch with AJP as a bench coach. This team already has some of that chip-on-the-shoulder, us against the world mentality and I think that having that coaching staff would immediately make us the heels of the ALC. I know that I'm about to get dragged for this and that's ok, but I think it'd be fun to be the bad guys.

Same. Let AJ come on as a bench coach. I don't think he's the guy for the job right now but he is a baseball genius and big personality. Let him grow as coach with us before some rebuilding team hires him and strikes gold.

22 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Same. Let AJ come on as a bench coach. I don't think he's the guy for the job right now but he is a baseball genius and big personality. Let him grow as coach with us before some rebuilding team hires him and strikes gold.

AJ makes too much money with a part time broadcasting gig. Why would he want to take a paycut and work every day?

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

AJ makes too much money with a part time broadcasting gig. Why would he want to take a paycut and work every day?

I mean, the guy has made plenty of money in his career. He obviously wants to manage and is probably in a position to take a pay cut to get closer to that ultimate goal.

All this talk about Hinch making us "bad boys" is laughable.  There's "cool bad," like being brash, talking smack, flipping bats, or starting fights.  Don't think using cameras and computers to steal information then lying about it quite fits into the "cool bad" category.  I'm sure marketing is salivating:  "Welcome to G-Rate, baby - come into our house and we'll utilize technology to gain an unfair advantage over you!  Step to us, and we'll lie about it M'Fer!  But if you catch us we'll totally apologize...b****!"

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

All this talk about Hinch making us "bad boys" is laughable.  There's "cool bad," like being brash, talking smack, flipping bats, or starting fights.  Don't think using cameras and computers to steal information then lying about it quite fits into the "cool bad" category.  I'm sure marketing is salivating:  "Welcome to G-Rate, baby - come into our house and we'll utilize technology to gain an unfair advantage over you!  Step to us, and we'll lie about it M'Fer!  But if you catch us we'll totally apologize...b****!"

🤣

Is this one of those spots where the kids would say, "OK boomer"?

11 minutes ago, Quin said:

No.

Eh I never get that joke anyway. I just don't know what the hangup is for some people here. How will I explain this my kids? Will this make us the bad boys of baseball or not?

Who cares!

Will AJ Hinch help us win baseball games and develop our talent to their ultimate capacity? Absolutely the only factor anyone of us should care about.

You can almost hear Rick Hahn's thought process.

"All right, I will give Ozzie a call, and then put it out there so that I don't have to get a bunch of questions from someone who we were never going to hire again.  It also should keep the fans imaginations from running wild and causing problems for something that will never happen.

[AJ Pierzynski starts politicking for the job.]

"SONOFAB...."

• Haha 1

I don't get why Hinch's cavalcade of cheating, and/or ignoring it, and/or being to weak or too stupid to stop it, THEN talking shyte about the yankmees when his teams were caught is considered just a "single mistake," whereas Ozzie's leaving the team means he should forever be cancelled from managing?

Not that I want either guy, but IF Hinch is a candidate, then why is Ozzie not ALSO a candidate?

With respect to Hinch, I think there is just too much risk to consider hiring him. A short summary of him as a manager would be:

Without cheating, his teams sucked and he got fired.

WIth cheating, his teams won and he got suspended.

How do we know if he's actually a good manager, if all of his supposedly "good results" were directly attributable to cheating? How do we know he's not the Jose Altuve of Managing? [Good while cheating, sh!tty without cheating.] What else did they do that artificially enhanced their outcomes? And this sets aside the very real idea that leadership should come with integrity.

I simply don't know if I would want to risk my job if I were Hahn, on a guy who we do not know if he is good at managing, or just a simple cheat. I don't know if I were JR, if I'd want to risk my [perhaps] final few years on Earth watching a manager who may or may not be good. And I don't know if I would want to risk this competitive window/the finite primes of Giolito/Moncada/Robert, et. al, trying to figure out if Hinch is good, or simply a good cheater.

I would just rather go a different direction, because there is uncertainty with Hinch, his abilities, and his degree of personal and professional integrity, IMO. And where there is uncertainty, there is unnecessary risk. YMMV.  

Edited by Two-Gun Pete
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

I don't get why Hinch's cavalcade of cheating, and/or ignoring it, and/or being to weak or too stupid to stop it, THEN talking shyte about the yankmees when his teams were caught is considered just a "single mistake," whereas Ozzie's leaving the team means he should forever be cancelled from managing?

Not that I want either guy, but IF Hinch is a candidate, then why is Ozzie not ALSO a candidate?

With respect to Hinch, I think there is just too much risk to consider hiring him. A short summary of him as a manager would be:

Without cheating, his teams sucked and he got fired.

WIth cheating, his teams won and he got suspended.

How do we know if he's actually a good manager, if all of his supposedly "good results" were directly attributable to cheating? How do we know he's not the Jose Altuve of Managing? [Good while cheating, sh!tty without cheating.] What else did they do that artificially enhanced their outcomes? And this sets aside the very real idea that leadership should come with integrity.

I simply don't know if I would want to risk my job if I were Hahn, on a guy who we do not know if he is good at managing, or just a simple cheat. I don't know if I were JR, if I'd want to risk my [perhaps] final few years on Earth watching a manager who may or may not be good. And I don't know if I would want to risk this competitive window/the finite primes of Giolito/Moncada/Robert, et. al, trying to figure out if Hinch is good, or simply a good cheater.

I would just rather go a different direction, because there is uncertainty with Hinch, his abilities, and his degree of personal and professional integrity, IMO. And where there is uncertainty, there is unnecessary risk. YMMV.  

I see a big difference between trying to win so hard you cheat and flat out quitting on the franchise that made you millions.

• Fire 1

9 minutes ago, yoyozuna said:

Has anybody mentioned Bochy?I thought he wanted to manage again and he would check a lot of boxes.

I did somewhere.  Shocked he's not getting mentioned more.  I've also heard he wants manage again.

https://www.mccoveychronicles.com/2019/10/24/20931249/where-will-bruce-bochy-manage-in-2021-not-retired-but-sabbatical-sf-giants-dodgers-padres

Edited by Buehrle5687

22 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I see a big difference between trying to win so hard you cheat and flat out quitting on the franchise that made you millions.

But wait, I thought it was "Cora was the ringleader in all of this, while Hinch was a weak and impotent bystander."

Wouldn't that mean that CORA was the one who was trying so hard to win that he cheated, while Hinch was too lazy to bother to cheat?

1 minute ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

But wait, I thought it was "Cora was the ringleader in all of this, while Hinch was a weak and impotent bystander."

Wouldn't that mean that CORA was the one who was trying so hard to win that he cheated, while Hinch was too lazy to bother to cheat?

Even better.

7 hours ago, bmags said:

All the best managers recently were largely first time managers as it's moved from getting someone who knows baseball to letting the FO handle that and get a guy the players trust and respect.

The superstar manager is dead, sox don't need one. If they really want previous experience, LAD bench coach Bob Geren who has held the role for the WS appearing mets and now dodgers after an unsuccessful run as As manager during the 07-11 years.

But I stand by wanting Quatraro.

I'm with you on Quatraro. I would much rather have a current member of the Ray's organization to be our fresh eyes than a former member of the dysfunctional Astros organization.

4 minutes ago, Soxnfins said:

LOL

Meh, with Washington, at least we can say that he's reasonably good at coaching/managing, because [AFAIK] his outcomes were not obtained through fraudulent means. He also helped Semien improve enough at defense [which this org couldn't], so as to help Semien achieve a 7 fWAR season.

With Cora/Hinch, how do we know if they are any good at managing? Their good results were at least in part due to fraud. Maybe they are good, and maybe they aren't. Maybe they're lucky. Who knows?

• Chisoxfn locked and unlocked this topic