Tony La Russa named Manager

YourWhatHurts

7 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Meh, with Washington, at least we can say that he's reasonably good at coaching/managing, because [AFAIK] his outcomes were not obtained through fraudulent means. He also helped Semien improve enough at defense [which this org couldn't], so as to help Semien achieve a 7 fWAR season.

With Cora/Hinch, how do we know if they are any good at managing? Their good results were at least in part due to fraud. Maybe they are good, and maybe they aren't. Maybe they're lucky. Who knows?

Well, if cheating started in 2017 as was documented, he was 19 over .500 and won a play-in game against the yankees before losing to the WS royals. The year before he took over they were 22 games under .500. 

That 2015 roster wasn't very good.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Well, if cheating started in 2017 as was documented, he was 19 over .500 and won a play-in game against the yankees before losing to the WS royals. The year before he took over they were 22 games under .500. 

That 2015 roster wasn't very good.

Shyte, that makes Hinch/Cora look worse, IMO.

Setting aside the morality issues, the fact that the cubs-centric local media will feast upon a Hinch hiring, and the fact that stoopid out of town media types will re-play the black sox tropes, I simply don't know if Hinch is good at managing or not because of the cheating and fraud. For this reason, I'd rather steer clear of him and Cora.

I'd interview Alomar, Washington, Bochy, and others before I'd give Hinch/Cora a second thought. YMMV.

• Like 1

Hahn practically spelled out Hinch’s name with the qualities he’s seeking. I think he’s floating a trial balloon on this to see what kind of protest rises up. I don’t want him. What Hinch condoned wasn’t a mistake, but a character flaw.  Bochy  would be a 5star pick. 

2 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Shyte, that makes Hinch/Cora look worse, IMO.

Setting aside the morality issues, the fact that the cubs-centric local media will feast upon a Hinch hiring, and the fact that stoopid out of town media types will re-play the black sox tropes, I simply don't know if Hinch is good at managing or not because of the cheating and fraud. For this reason, I'd rather steer clear of him and Cora.

I'd interview Alomar, Washington, Bochy, and others before I'd give Hinch/Cora a second thought. YMMV.

I couldn't care less what Cubs media thinks of Hinch. If he is good enough to get us into never before seen territory on the south side then that is enough for me. Let's not act like the Astros would be crap had they not cheated. They may not have won it all but they would still be a top AL team. And even if the players are cheating, the manager still has to operate the pitching staff effectively and make smart decisions with his lineup, base running, and situational hitting. The Astros stopped cheating by the playoffs last year and still almost won a championship. They didn't cheat this year and made it to the ALCS. 

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Please no.  This would be horrible.

I don't want Larussa, primarily due to his age.  I'd prefer someone younger.

Is that why everyone seems to think this is so horrible?  Or is there another reason?  

FWIW - Larussa goes against alot of what Hahn said yesterday, so I'd be really surprised if Boob was right about this one.  He frankly rarely is when it comes to the Sox.  

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I don't want Larussa, primarily due to his age.  I'd prefer someone younger.

Is that why everyone seems to think this is so horrible?  Or is there another reason?  

FWIW - Larussa goes against alot of what Hahn said yesterday, so I'd be really surprised if Boob was right about this one.  He frankly rarely is when it comes to the Sox.  

The ONLY way I could think of making this OK would be figuring out a way to have your "next manager" on the bench as a bench coach.  Maybe you bring in TLR as manager, and slide Hinch as the Bench Coach allowing him to take a step toward rehabilitation and a year or two down the road Tony retires for good as a White Sox?

I mean I still don't wan to see them waste time on TLR, but if it happens, hopefully it is with the next manager in mind.

Bob's piece popped up yesterday not long after Hahn finished describing Hinch to a T.  USA Today even published it as Opinion.  I don't buy it for a second that the Sox are considering bringing La Russa out of retirement.  Feels too much like classic Bob plant to give cover for pursuing Hinch.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bmags said:

How old was Jack McKeon for his marlins days (not the interem crap)?

He was 72 win they won the pennant. He was there at age 72, 73, and 74 years. He's 89 now. Maybe the sox will talk to him? Lol

Edited by smellysox

I saw LaRussa at the Sox luncheon for their 5 HOFers (Thome, Raines, larussa, Haines) and Thomas couldn’t make it. 

JR was there.

I don’t know. I don’t think this is real, but if Tony LaRussa wanting to get involved in baseball again I’m not shocked that JR and not the cards would be who he’d call.

And even this attention and buzz may be his idea of a favor.

No action can happen on Hinch until the World Series is over, correct? No way on LaRussa, what a smokescreen.  I have an older friend who might suffer cardiac arrest if the Sox hire LaRussa, throughout the last 30 years, he always calls LaRussa, Tony "LaChoke" because of 1983.   Have a great day. 

• Haha 1

• Chisoxfn locked and unlocked this topic